main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mustafar catwalk (Work in Progress)

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Kchr1ss, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfx

jfx Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2006
    Nice, very nice. How big is this going to be??? Will u release it to the public? Can u sketch out a map on where everything will be, just curious.

2. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Your Mustafar designs are so cool. I wish they had been in the movie.

3. Kchr1ss

Kchr1ss Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2005
    thanks. heh, afterall i am still trying to go after the mustafar design they had in movie.
    About the map, i dont know yet, i want first try out new computer, see how much could i have in one scene etc, also i want to finish one of the scenes so i could test compositing a footage of shot my own.
    I could release it public, but the files would be huge.

Darthvipe thats cool :cool:, btw what are two graphics cards for? for gaming?.
    I was going to order tonight, but didnt make it, hopefully tomorrow, and then another 3 days to wait :/.

Here's an update, i did some bretty good textures for pipes and some other stuff there but the redish light ate them all, the rest is default grey. I felt the spaces between the dam pillers were too blank so i am trying to fill them. That thing between the pillars(like a mini collector arm end) is scanning the lava for the valuable metals to inform the miners ahead etc, thats what i thought. It can move up and down. The lava fall didnt come out right because its not even modeled or anything.

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/lava_dam_details.jpg]

Any suggestions for the lava dam?

4. jfx

May 16, 2006
    Me likey=P~ I think there should be turbines that turn when the lava falls. Where else is Mustafar getting all their power?

5. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    yeah, do u mean like the ones in the game, battlefront 2?, i have them modeled already actually, i havent just used them yet, because its already slow as hell on this laptop. But i have them, i would put them behind the lava dam, turning around, in rows, and 2 catwalks between them and another lava fall on the side.

damn i dont have any image of them here right now :/. I got to wait for the new computer.

6. jfx

May 16, 2006
    Yep! That would make it look even better.

7. DarthRicmu

DarthRicmu Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    I like the lava. :D

maybe a bit of extra black pieces of cooled lava........ :)

but it looks great :)

8. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Looks very nice.

Yeah, the graphics cards are for games and stuff. But also for the viewports of 3ds Max, because right now I have to run the viewports on DirectX because it's faster than my graphics card works (I'm running a 256MB graphics card in an AGP 4x slot :/) but in general it'll help the entire system run better.

9. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    oh, i havent payd much atention to video cards. I picked this one:
    eVGA 256-P2-N553-AX Geforce 7600GT CO 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

I've heard of firegl and quadro video cards used for 3d works. The firegl ones were quite expensive, around 250 at least, the quadro ones were strangely around 64mb only and around same price the 7600gt, 170$.

Should i get better video card?

EDIT: DarthRicmu, my lava looks like really really really really fresh right now :p, i'll see hows it going to look with the black pieces next time when i use already a particle flow.

10. DarthRicmu

DarthRicmu Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    well then it's oke :p

it's really great work you do :)

11. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2004
    I agree with Ricmu u should add a little bit of black to the lava other than that it looks amazing.

12. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    yeah i should. I should also have bigger black pieces, and on the endges breaking ones, and then small pieces randomly - complicated :/.

Meanwhile I modeled the Operations controll which goes to the top of the collector arm base. I shouldnt do much more detailing on it, i've noticed ILM models of enviroments arent too detailed, they seem to do magic with the texturing :cool:.

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/Operations_control_1_jpg.jpg]

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/Operations_control_3_jpg.jpg]

And I finaly ordered my computer parts :), Should arrive on monday, though most of the parts are already in my state(checked tracking) except video card.

13. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Man, that looks awesome. I love this.

14. jfx

May 16, 2006
    Gets better and better! U should release this enviroment in seperate parts. Just a thought....;)

15. The_Dark_Knight

Jul 15, 2004
    Wow this looks really amazing man. Keep it up!

16. Wookieefett

Wookieefett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 22, 2005
    holy crap, lol this is pretty much the best model ive ever seen! they should remake ROTS and use this model instea lol

17. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    Small update, did the base under the operations controll, its totaly new from what i had started some time ago, more like in the movie. Though it lacks of details I coudlnt wait to render, I also tried to use volume fog to get the look like in the movie, where it was imo very foggy. I also need to add a lot of small lights on the buildings.

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/Collector_Base_lava.jpg]

Hope u like it.

18. stevend

stevend Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2006
    wow........very amazing!!

19. The_Dark_Knight

Jul 15, 2004
    =P~ wow that is simply amazing.

20. Jedi_Kyeju

Jedi_Kyeju Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    I like the red atmostphere. Very, very cool.

21. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    thanks, I have improved the model now and I got today my computer parts. I started building and i noticed i know so little about the hardware part of computer :oops:, for me was confusing to get the heatsink in place, but i finaly managed. Also there is sooo many wires, at last the motherboard ones are mostly coloured so they were easy, but i still have some stuff unplugged(harddrive and cd rom wires), and i am not sure if the cpu is properly with heatsink, i hope it wont explode.
    Hopefully next update will be from my new computer, may have to wait couple days.

22. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Don't know how to build the computer?

How To Build A Computer

You'll be very happy with your computer, but remember that Dual-Core doesn't work well with some games, but it's pretty good for Graphics applications.

23. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    thanks, but they dont explain in details there much.

I dont know what else to connect with cdrom device:

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/DSC00714.jpg]

Except i know that i need to plug this cdrom cable into the wide slot there:

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/DSC00737.jpg]

and the other end of the cdrom cable goes to ''pri_ide'' (blue slot on pic)?:

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/DSC00743.jpg]

It leaves me with 3 empty slots on the cdrom, i guess i dont need to connect anything to there?:

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/DSC00718_2.jpg]

Also if I have:
    CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Do i need to put them into separate slots, i mean one into a_1 and other into b_1 or both into either a_1 a_2 or b_1 b_2 :confused: ?

And lastly the motherboard has:
    CHA2_FAN, CHA1_FAN, CHIP_FAN and PWR_FAN connectors, the case has big 1 fan at the back(this would be the chip fan?) one smaller up at the back(for harddrive, only power wire) and 1 similar at the top(doesnt have that connector wire too) and one bigger at the front (has the connector wire to connect with motherboard, would be PWR_FAN?)

And not to be entirely off topic heres a test render of what i had two days ago:

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/Operations_control_5.jpg]

24. JeneralJarJar

JeneralJarJar Jedi Master star 1

May 1, 2003
    The "empty" slot on the right is a jumper, where you can set the drive to be either master or slave. That's what the little clip is for.

The other two are digital audio ports that you connect to the sound card. You should only need to use one.

All the hardware should come with documentation telling you what to do.

25. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    yeah, they come, but its mostly shortly sayd about each thing.
    Anyways it seems its complete now. I found out that i actually dont need to add any audio wires, its for only some direct from cd thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.