main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My defense of George Lucas...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by darthnuisance, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthnuisance

darthnuisance Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    Greetings. Lately, I've noticed an influx of threads bashing George Lucas's recent film, Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones. This, in my opinion, is MOST unfortunate. Now to tell you the truth, Phantom Menace wasn't my favorite flick, and I still had my doubts about GL's next two movies. In fact, I went to watch Attack of the Clones without being incredibly hyped and hadn't spoon-fed myself the entire plot by surfing the web for the lastest spoilers. So, on May 16th 2002, I went to the local theatre to watch the movie. I was AMAZED! It just seemed like Star Wars all over again. Sidious, Shmi's death, Anakin's arm being whaled off by Dooku, and Yoda's incredible lightsaber display held my attention and provided that rush that only SW can give. Then I logged on and saw a magnitude of critics bashing the most creative and innovative man in the history of filmmaking. I guess my point, if you're still reading, is that we as Star Wars fanatics should look in the mirror and realize that we're spending our time discussing topics that are interesting, humorous, and fun to talk about. And we all have George Lucas to thank. I'm hoping that more of us will allow ourselves to be entertained and not spoil the final film in the most incredibl theatrical run in history for ourselves! Thanks for listening!

YJ edit: I think we're done here. :)

2. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    My defense of George Lucas........

Star Wars is his saga and one he created. I don't understand why people criticize him for critiquing his creation for us fans.

3. yoda900

yoda900 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    It is simple. It is becuase the bashers are in reality all from the ferderal government. When one gets too successful, hey must bring him down.
    Just like with Bill Gates. Therefore he just can't win no matter what he does.

4. Ghosts_Of_Anakin

Ghosts_Of_Anakin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Forget what I said..I didn't realize you had locked it. I thought a mod did..sorry.

5. darthnuisance

darthnuisance Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    I posted it twice accidentally and locked the second one.

6. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I thought AOTC was a great film and by far the best Star Wars Episode to date. I didn't notice any weaknesses until I heard basher's comments on this site. Word of advice is to not come here if you want to avoid the wrath of the bashers.

7. The_Godfather

The_Godfather Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2002
    Bash da schmucks back!

8. yoda900

Apr 28, 2002
    Bashers miss the wisdom that they don't even realize from TPM.

your focus determines your reality.

They are focusing on the negative, their thoughts betray them.
    they are scared, in fear if you will
    Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering, suffering leads to the dark side.

However if they do the full 12 steop program then.

The darkside leads mass murders, mass murders lead force chokes, force chokes lead to finding your long lost son, finding your long lost son leads to compassion, compassion leads to destroying the dark side master, destroying the darkside master leads to the light side, the light side leads to redemption.

9. Logansmiddleclaw

Logansmiddleclaw Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2000
    "It is simple. It is becuase the bashers are in reality all from the ferderal government. When one gets too successful, hey must bring him down.
    Just like with Bill Gates. Therefore he just can't win no matter what he does."

Don't even compare GL to BG. GL never set out to destroy his competition with illegal practices.

10. yoda900

Apr 28, 2002
    well, it was just the most obvious name I could think of. BG is not the only one. The more success you have the more the government seems to try to punish you, not just Bill Gates, but just about anyone.

This was supposed to just be funny though. Not to get caught up in the niceties of Democracy, OH MY GOD! this means, that we the USA are becoming like STar Wars. OH NO!
    LOL

11. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    people just like to complain.

12. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    "Word of advice is to not come here if you want to avoid the wrath of the bashers."

In time you will learn to epically debate and even win against the bashers in debates my young padawan.

13. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Marge: You know Homer, its very to critise [face_plain]

Homer: Fun too! :)

14. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    is there some sort of war going on here? or a game where you win and lose? i thought this was a place for discussion.

that kind of attitude explains alot.

15. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    Lucas has a message! Are you getting it?

Yip... but let me refresh. He wanted 2 cheeseburgers, 2 small fries and medium diet coke? okey dokey! tell GL i'll be back shortly!

16. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001

"...set out to destroy his competition with illegal practices."

Don't put me in the position of having to defend Bill Gates, because, personally, I can't stand the guy.....

But, if Bill Gates really did anything illegal, why did the Government drop all charges against him once they'd actually taken the time to *review* the evidence?

The only thing Bill Gates ever did was put affordable software on the market.

That MONSTER!!!!

17. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    Now Windows XP i swear by- the others ones i used to swear at!! :D

18. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    The only thing Bill Gates ever did was put affordable software on the market

Affordable, P.O.S. buggy software. Microsoft is the king of mediocre products.

19. tDR

tDR Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    too right. im getting sick and tired of bashers. i cracked it at one of my best friends just the other day. She loves star wars, but she bashes it in front of everyone. so then i went mental ..
    bashers suck. if you dont like something about the movie then keep it to yourself!

20. AnotherAgentSmith

AnotherAgentSmith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    I agree, what's up these days with all those people calling themselves fans and thinking their vision is the ultimate truth when all they know to do is to be most humiliating, negative and rude towards Star Wars and the people behind it. (George Lucas in particular.)

So sad and unfortunate...

I do feel everyone should be able to freely express his/her own opinion, whether it adheres or goes against a more generalized opinion or not.
    The problem I think there is (call it a last sprinkle of hope and faith in people) that many people have distinct opinions but rarely any of them have learned to express them properly, politely and with tact. They don't know how to properly express it without being condesending and insulting.
    The more negative view and possibility is that most people these days are so negative and can only nag, bash and such...

The future will tell.

21. Grizham1

Grizham1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2001
    my god is it possible that some people may see actually problems in starwars? say it ain't so............maybe we should all fall in line and sing the praises of the pt movies, this is a discussion forum, not a let's all praise george lucas for everything he's done and screw anyone that doesn't love howard the duck forum. (I acutally liked howard the duck heh)and the pt movies too. Discussion is good it sharpens the mind, if you don't like it don't do it!

22. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    "Lucas has a message! Are you getting it?"

well i got it

tho not the 1000.000's of Jabba and Palpa minded ppl who r living around us

23. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    As a huge Star Wars fan, I'll say that there are not only problems in Star Wars, but frankly, I have YET to see a movie that DOESN'T have problems.

But you know, I don't care for the problems. I don't care that Anakin says "Yippee!" or "Now this is podracing!" because he is a child, and those are things a child would say. I don't care for Jar Jar Binks being there. Some of you look at him as a distraction, but I actually like JJB's presence. FOR ME, he is the "fantasy" style character in Episode I. I can't explain it- I guess it is my undying love for Fraggle Rock as a child, but I think JJB is very belonging in the Star Wars films.

I'll come out and admit that one of the things I didn't like about Attack of the Clones was JJB's presence. His GHOSTLY presence. He wasn't there much. And people were glad he wasn't. But you know- I missed him- and I have bashers to blame for that. Had everyone kept thier mouths shut, maybe JJB would have been in Episode II more. But now I feel like JJB is a wasted character. Sure he was stupid, and silly, and childish. But Star Wars can be stupid, silly, and childish as well. These movies didn't grow up with us. I knew Episode I would be sorta childish here and there, and I knew Episode II and III would get more mature, respectively.

I had the idea that Lucas would start off with a happy galaxy, and end in turmoil and depression, and so far he is doing a great job. I mean look at the contrast of the endings of TPM and AOTC.

That is the JOY of what Lucas is doing. I watched the ending of TPM the other day, and it about brought me to tears- no joke. Everyone was happy. Now, we are seeing a war start. It's not happy anymore. Lucas is going in the serious direction.

I believe that is what was intended. Everyone was so mad that Episode I was childish, and maybe I was too for a while. But now, the emotional level of the prequels has gotten extremely high. I feel sorry for these characters that will most likely perish in Episode III. I feel sorry for Amidala, who will not live happily ever after with her man. I feel sorry for Jar Jar, who will most likely die in the next one.

I feel sorry for the inhabitants of Naboo, who will most likely be wiped out sometime in the future. I feel sorry for the Jedi Order. I feel sorry for the Republic and thier freedom. I feel sorry for Anakin Skywalker, once a kind spirit thrown into a terrible situation of love and war. I feel sorry for these characters and the downward spiral they are participating in.

We don't like the childish aspect of Episode I- but I will tell all of you right now- when Episode III comes out, you will look back at Episode I and see why Lucas made it childish- and you will probably love it. That is the POINT people- start off happy, and show how a galaxy falls right before your very eyes.

Personally, I couldn't be happier with Lucas' decisions, and his filmmaking stature just increases each time I see a new film of his. I loved him before the prequels hit, and now, he is just showing me that he can generate original characters and ideas like its part of his day job. You can disagree, but IMO, he is doing a fine job.

Or you can just continue complaining about the dialogue and acting.

24. Grizham1

Grizham1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2001
    I'll go with complaining, it gives me something to do at work,.other than work that is

25. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Whatever you say...

*sigh*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.