main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side My First Jedi

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by peteyfrogboy, Sep 23, 2012.

1. peteyfrogboy

peteyfrogboy Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2012
    I finally decided to go to Dragon*Con this year, and I needed a costume that would be relatively easy to make, comfortable to wear, and appropriate for my body type. This led me to something I decided to call Generic Portly Jedi.

[​IMG]

After getting the basic plan in my head, I started with the fun part: the lightsaber:

[​IMG]

It was almost entirely built from bits I found around my house and my parents' garage. I spent a total of $1.88 on specific bits of hardware that I didn't have on hand. Despite being almost entirely plastic, it has a decent amount of weight to it. It does not take well to being dropped on the floor, however. There are lots of construction pictures and detail shots here.

Next I made the belt:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Everything here is leather and metal, save the adjustment strap in the back. I made a metal plate to cover the ugly nylon strap. Details on the belt construction are here, and back plate construction is here.

The vast majority of the expense of this costume was on the actual fabric bits:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The boots were a $10 eBay find, with some tweaking using stuff from around the house:

[​IMG]

Details on the clothes and boots can be found here.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Everything looks good! I think my only suggestion is that the boots are a bit short; Jedi boots should go a good way up your calf.

3. peteyfrogboy

peteyfrogboy Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2012
    Sadly, my other expensive hobbies preclude spending too much on boots I'll wear once or twice a year. Perhaps I'll luck out and find some taller ones for cheap between now and next D*C...

4. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    There was a store on ebay called AllCostumes, and they sold pleather calf-length boots for around $35-$45. That's where I got mine, and they've lasted me a good number of years.

5. Sith Iratus

Sith Iratus Jedi Master

Nov 24, 2012
    im liking it,great effort.Id love to do something like that.

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I also like Funtasma costume boots, as they're a bit nicer than the ebay vinyl costume boots.

7. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Looks awesome! :D

You could always add leather, or pleather being more budget-friendly, to the tops of your boots. *shrugs* I've seen a lot of people make boot covers for super hero costumes. Just make sure you like the look before you sew it on and that you can't find anything else. :p

Good luck!