main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Natalie Portman, CANNOT act

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarkLord_Tyrannus, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyan_Dawn

Cyan_Dawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 1999
    I think Portman is triumphant in the role of Padme Amidala. You guys are forgetting that these movies are boy's fantasies, where guys fight monsters, dragons, get into swordfights, etc. Natalie embodies the beautiful, yet resourceful female heroine. What are you expecting? The first time we see her in TPM I think is one of the greatest introductions of a character ever. Most of her lines are great: "I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war". It could have been much worse; Lucas could have made her into a damsel in distress always screaming and begging for someone to save her. Her glorious coup in TPM is a perfect example of how powerful she is.

2. BlueMules

BlueMules Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    Lemmeseeya: I am a moviewatcher, and I think I can post my opinion, thank you very much.

Please don't flame and named other posters. We are all pretty grown up, aren't we?

BTW, Granmoffg: I read that Portman actually RAN 3-4 times a week. Ehm..was it jogging or running, eh? =)

3. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Heh heh. I used to have a major crush on her watching some series called 'Caitlin's Way'.

[face_love]

4. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    You're all stupid trolls, go away. You wouldn't know good acting if it hit you in the head. Specially you Jabba, you should shut up the most. I doubt you know anything about film. I doubt any of you know anything about it.

And you do? I'll bet the farm I know more about film than you. I've seen countless movies with better examples of better performances, but I don't want that to sound like some pretentious license. But if you asked for it, I'll give it.

[edit -- I didn't mean to make it sound that harsh but you stomped on our toes first. I'm telling the teacher on you.]

5. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Natalie embodies the beautiful, yet resourceful female heroine. What are you expecting?

Ummm...I was expecting a queen, seeing how her character was 'Queen Amidala'

;)

6. Cyan_Dawn

Cyan_Dawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 1999
    What can you expect out of a queen? A queen is just a political position. Padme was that, and a whole lot more.

7. Jedi_Chai

Jedi_Chai Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    I disagree with the comments that George Lucas is not an actor's director. If you're a good actor, he's the perfect director to have because he's not going to get in the way of your interpretation or performance. But if you need constant help with your "motivation" or a lot of hand-holding from the director, you're doomed.

8. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Actually, she was great as the 'stiff' Amidala. But as Padme...leaves much to be desired IMHO. Especially her scenes with Ani.

All said and done, she improved in AOTC.

Just MHO :D

9. shogun_1138

shogun_1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    Well, not that it matters anymore, but I liked her alot. Just my two cents.

10. jayme_

jayme_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    Wow, I didn't know Anakin acts. ;)

11. Vodstok

Vodstok Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    2 points, I never said anything about not being able to voice an opinion, I was merely stating that most critics criticize for the same reason a bully bullies: Inadequacy. Everyone has the right to their opinion, and to voice that opinion, but way to often (as I've seen in every message board I've been to) people mistake THEIR opinion for fact. Just because you think it, doesn't make it true.
    For those who didn't like Natalie's performance, then she is not a good actor. That is how you see it, and their is nothing wrong with that, just accept that to those of us that did like it, she is good, and quit trying to change our opinions to match yours, our convictions are just as strong.

And as far as "you do better" being a weak argument? That is aimed at those who want their opinion to be gospel. To say "I didn't like it and here is why" is all well and good, but typicly it is followed by something like "and anyone who doesn't agree must be blind, deaf or retarded." Once again, mixing opinion (subjective) with fact (objective). I am fine with someone making a grand, absolute, sweeping statement, especially of this kind, but have the credentials and experience to back it up, or relegate your opinion to the realm of oinion. Anything else is just arrogant.

edit: for the record (and you have probably noticed this by now) I am VERY opinionated, but I know where I stand. They may be strong opinions, but they are just how I feel. I can back down or adapt in light of a good argument.

12. Rob_Baajakh

Rob_Baajakh Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    Natalie Portmann can SO act. She is very good at it, and I am not just saying that because she's hot. I have seen some of her other films, she did better than decent. The reason why it is dificult to act in any Star Wars movie that GL(a reason that Lucas himself said) is because his movies are NOT acting movies, they are story and special FX movies and Lucas also said that he is not that good of a director.

13. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Well OK lets have peace on this thread eh?

:)

14. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I don't see what's wrong with Nat Portman's acting. I found her to be very convincing in TPM and AOTC. I don't see any problems with it. And I can't imagine anybody else doing her part.

St

15. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    And I can't imagine anybody else doing her part.

I can, but only in my wildest dreams

:p

16. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Natalie a good actress. like Rob said. his movies are NOT acting movies, they are story and special FX movies and Lucas also said that he is not that good of a director. Final THOUGHTS?? Yes-Natalie a great actress. I admire her a lot and I Don't Care What ppl say...cause I don't care about the acting in SW. Natalie did a great job in AOTC. And Im growing tired of reading this "Natalie cannot Act" Crap. Enough already!! Wait for Ep3. PLEASE!!! Just don't keep your hopes down. I think Natalie will do better in ep3...that's my bet. We'll have to wait and see. :D

17. BlueMules

May 30, 2002
    He he he.. I loved this line: Natalie can act, not because she was hot. <GRINS>

Blind we are.. ( Yoda bespeaks =)

PS: I can see Thora Birch, or Brittany Murphy ( the psycho girl in Don't Say A Word) as Queen Amidala. I think they will do a good job.

18. FatherVader

FatherVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 27, 2000
    I am sorry to say this but, it seems to me that Portman was able to let go and just act when she was younger.

It looks as if Portman may not like acting as much as she did when she was younger. I have no proof of this but, I hear she does not like the fame that comes with being a movie star. Some people just do not like other people in their Biz all the time like happens when a person has fame cast on them others handle this very well, she seems too shy for the biz in many ways and seems too like too keep to herself. That is not a bad thing but not great if you are a actor, it seems as she has gotten older, she has become less outgoing. Like in her first film, she had lines when she cussed, now she will not act a role that has these types of lines for the most part.

From what I have heard, she thinks Star Wars is a joke when it comes to acting, that there is just not much to it. But, if you look at Portman's last four jobs, have been very bad. It is almost like see would rather be doing something else but....what job can you work were you do so little and get paid so well.

But, in the end her acting in Star Wars to be fair has been very weak.

19. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    "...and Lucas also said that he is not that good of a director"

Really? Is this true? Do you have a quote/link? If so, I must put it in my sig!

[face_mischief]

20. BlueMules

May 30, 2002
    Thank you FatherVader. I read her interview, and it says: since she grew up, she felt more self conscious. Which, is deadly when you are an actor, she said.

I think she knew that " The Profesional" was the highlight of her career.

21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
  22. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    She has absolutely no respect for acting as a craft or an artform.

She does not even seem to understand that she should be trying to communicate emotions to the audience. Her delivery is completely monotne and she slurs all the word together and there is never any sign emotion in her eyes.

Lucas's worst casting decision (worse than Jake Lloyd).

As harsh as what I said was, I don't hate Natalie. She's smart, cool and well, gorgeous. It's just a shame she doesn't care about or understand acting.

23. Rob_Baajakh

Rob_Baajakh Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    Can we please dwell on the fact that we are all fans here. Whether or not Natalie Portmann(if that is her real name and not a stage name)did a good acting job is irrelevant. We all fell in love with Star Wars for the plot, characters, lightsabers, etc. I never cared about the acting or who did it.
    My opinion stands, however, Portmann did find job as Padme, it was Hayden I was worried about.

24. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    I wouldn't criticise her that bad. For me:

[Anakin] Its all GL's fault! He's holding Nat back![/Anakin]

:D

25. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Portman has a solid personality. She doesn't express herself more so than Carrie Fisher, but she has some good points. I think she displays a little more innocence than Carrie ever did, and this is good, because she falls in love with Anakin regardless of his many faults.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.