main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Nature of The Light and Dark Side

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chewbacca89, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    The point you're trying to make makes sense, but I don't think it's how the Force functions, especially in the prequels ("the dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural," Lucas talking about how the Force has distinct sides, etc).

And I don't know that anyone should be "above" romantic love, but yes generalized compassion is another way of putting it.

2. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Well, the dark side is "a" pathway, not "the" pathway, right?
    In the Legacy comics, Cade Skywalker had this super amazing healing ability. For 45 issues he could only use it with the dark side, and it took extra to make him be able to use it with the light side. So the dark side is an easier way to get things, but not the only way.

3. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    I think some of the difference between light side and dark side thinking can be explained by an economic princple called "law of diminishing returns". This economic principle states that our satisfaction from consuming additional units of goods diminishes until at a certain point until we get no more additional pleasure/utility from additional consumption. For example, one slice of pizza is great, two is better. But when you get to slice #20, you really are not going to feel better.

Light side thinkers understand the futility of over-reach in this respect, and learn to live at peace with less because of this. Dark side thinkers keep fighting to acquire more despite the drop-off in additional satisfaction and the increasing cost of such acquisitions. As a result, they end up on a path of destrucion that benefits no one, including themselves.