main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Shawn Kemp could almost get all of his kids onto that bed.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    16 days to go until Opening Night, and I'm almost at record levels of anticipation... feels like waiting for Christmas to arrive back when I was kid. The purple & gold held their first preseason game at Staples Center last night, which I only cared to notice (via highlights & photos after the game*) because of this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a new court for the Lakers this season at Staples! I very much like it, particularly the stars (representing each year they've won a title :cool: ) , the new script logo along each basket (the old block script was hideous), and the 'L' secondary logo's along each key. Well done.

*http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/06/sports/la-sp-plaschke-lakers-tv-20121007- Now, this really doesn't matter now. I never watch any preseason games in full (only for a minute or 2), so I'm not upset yet. I do believe a deal will be reached before the season starts... no chance in hell they're going to shut out so many Laker fans in their ability to watch on television. It better not happen.

3. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Can't see the Bulls finishing 2nd with Rose missing most if not all the season.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    they played well in the regular season without rose last year. and the real question is what other team is going to finish ahead of them. after miami the eastern conference looks really weak this year.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    It'll depend on how healthy Boston can stay, how quickly the Nets can gel, and I wouldn't sleep on the 6ers being a surprise team this year and taking a top-three seed in the East.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i really don't think adding joe johnson is going to put the nets over the top. i agree with you about the sixers though.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Over the top? No. Good enough to win more regular season games than any Eastern Conference team that doesn't feature Lebron James? Maybe.

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    doubtful. the hawks had a better supporting cast around johnson than the nets do. i wouldn't be at all surprised if they miss the playoffs.

9. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Really? I mean, the Hawks have Josh Smith. And then who?

The Nets have Deron Williams and Brooks Lopez, in addition to some pretty decent cog/role player guys. They seem like the superior team to me.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i like deron williams, but i would take al horford over brook lopez any day, a 7' center who in his last full season couldn't even average 6 rebounds per game. the nets are ridiculously thin in the front court.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I think it might be a Brooklyn/Miami 2nd round match up in the playoffs, maybe even in the first.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8478267/who-nba-top-title-contenders-season-trailing-pack

Zach Lowe is a new NBA writer for Grantland.com, and this was his first article for the site (and it's rather good).

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...-becomes-nba-player-becomes-kobe-bryant-enemy

Smush Parker isn't breaking any new ground... who the hell hasn't known that Kobe is a *****/not the easiest teammate ever? Please. And those Laker teams from 2004-2007 were filled with terrible players, so who can really begrudge a superstar from looking back on that with disdain?

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  14. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    That just doesn't make sense to me...I really can't see an NBA team, even the Kings, moving to Virginia Beach.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  16. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    But, realistically, there are a lot stronger markets for an NBA team to come to than Virginia Beach. Take Seattle or Kansas City, for example

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    seattle first, please.

DarthTunick likes this.
  18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, uh. Yeah.

James Harden traded to Houston. Who saw that one coming?

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm not that shocked. they offered as much as they felt they could and he turned it down. better to turn him into two first round picks and kevin martin than let him walk.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Eh, maybe, but shouldn't OKC have wanted to keep that nucleus together for at least one more season? Sure Harden had a crappy Finals, but I've got no doubt he'll rebound from that this season.

23. TheVortex3

TheVortex3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2012
    Well I did not see that trade coming at all. I thought that OKC would have found a way to work out a contract extension with him.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm more surprised that Houston makes that trade than OKC. Harden is a nice piece. But he's not a main guy that you win a championship around. Houston acquired assets and then set themselves up for a chance to bottom-out, win the lottery and potentially get that cornerstone type player. And now - they've got James Harden, lost a bunch of draft picks, and probably won't be bad enough to get a true cornerstone player.

For OKC, it's a no-brainer. You avoid serious luxury tax penalties. You pick up some very good assets. And, you send the message "if you're name isn't Kevin or Russel, I make the rules not you".