main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~* New Board Features : FAQ and Requests *~

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Uppers!

Here's something I noticed: If we use the Search option on the index page of each forum, and then press "Stop" halfway (a typo, perhaps, that we wanted to correct?), and then press "Enter" again after that, a message box comes up which says "Processing...Please wait". However the page just becomes stuck after that and doesn't lead to the Search page. Hitting "Enter" again has no effect, but refreshing the page will get rid of the problem.

Now, I know there's really nothing much here, and it's easy to fix the problem, but all the same this is a bit of an inconvenience to tolerate.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Valiowk - that's because it's been programmed to pop up that alert message if you keep hitting on the same button more than once before refreshing the page - that's to stop people from being unnecessarily hard on their mouses. Also, the search function has to look through a large database, and every time you click the "search" button, it has to start from the beginning again - very time consuming. So, I think it's completely necessary. ;)

But I do have complaints with the search function. We need a better search program - but that's in IGN's plate, so we can't do anything about it. :(

EDIT: Err... what "stop" button :confused:

Aunecah

3. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    As posted in a recent thread, I would like the thread view page to be more like:

Topic [Page 1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27]

I was going to suggest this. It's just easier to pick up where you left off when a thread you frequent gains a page or two in your absence.

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "Err... what "stop" button"

I'd assume the stop button on the browser, not the JC.

5. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    Greetings,

I'm simply gonna make a quick suggestion for a quote markup code. While the blockquote function is available, and while there are many ways to quote someone in a post, I think a quote mc would be something that many people would dig. I think it would augment the way posters interact. It would add some uniformity (the good kind) to the look, feel, and flow of threads. And it would allow bold and italics to be used for their original purposes. And hey, I just think it's a neat function.

Specifically, I'm referring to something along the lines of what phpBB boards have. I'm aware that there are probably some major technical issues with this proposal, and that zerosleep is a busy person with better things to do. But nevertheless, I think the pros outweigh the cons in this case.

Thankya. And, if there's already a discussion about this that I've missed, my apologies.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Right -- except it's a coding feature and can't be done by us. :)

7. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    Put me in touch with the IGN head honcho then. [face_mischief] ;)

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    A "My threads index." This would be similar to "magage my poles," but it would have links to all the threads you've started. In forums like the JCC, it's hard to find old threads you've created if you want to up them or anything.

This is exactly what I would like.

"magage my poles"?? :p

9. Hans-Olo

Hans-Olo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 12, 2003
    What I'd like to see is to have the opportunity to choose your local time zone displayed on the boards.

10. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    I'd also like a local time clock. It saves me from having to do sums in my head as to when people posted (I live in Australia, 19 hours ahead of board time).

11. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    A good feature would be to display the message underneath you are replying to while typing your post. That way you don't have to look back to remind yourself what's been said. Or go back to copy and paste certain phrases posted.

12. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Vader666, a good way to do this is to type your responses into NOTEPAD, and then copy/paste to the Reply box. This works best for me.

13. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    Still MeBeJedi..

I think it's better that you get the message displayed at least. You don't have to open windows to see here and there..

14. BOBAFETISH

BOBAFETISH Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    There should be a reality web cam that follows me around as I go through my days, and it should be mandatory viewing for all posters here...maybe taking up the top 25% of all pages on TFN.

Oh, and the place should be re-named Bobafetish's Palace of Owndness.

15. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I can think of a lot of JC'ers I'd rather see on webcam than you. No offense, of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.