main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New Empire and Rebellion Book Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Between eBooks and the whole TPB thing, I think anthologies have a better shot now than ever before. Enough of one? Who knows.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    All we can really do is back the products with money and put the word out, sometimes that's enough - Charley's War is a WW1 comic series published by Titan, they do 1 volume a year and said they'd go all the way through the story if sales were good enough. So me and a few mates went and did just that. That was 8 years ago, Volume 9 is due in October, with volume 10 to finish next year. Sales talk.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Ten volume WWI comic...hm. Per Sin's thread, sell that to me.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Charley Bourne signs up to fight in WW!, lying about his age, he's 14. He does so and arrives at the front just as the Battle of the Somme is about to start:

http://www.amazon.com/Charleys-War-...&qid=1346879056&sr=1-2&keywords=charley's+war

Mills script is sharp and succinct and Colquhuon's art is utterly superb.

The story was first published in the 1970s in Britain, in weekly installments of 3-4 pages. It was at a time when kids read comics and kids were looked after by their grandparents who took an interest in what the kids were reading. Some of those people were men who were WW1 vets, they took a look at it and were impressed. The publishers ended up getting letters praising the accuracy and authenticity of the story from the WW1 soldiers!

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would go with "in-universe holodrama" :p

Produced by the Star Wars equivalent of Michael Bay.

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    It's like the Star Wars universe equivalent of Assassin's Creed, except it sucks.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's not true. TFU2 is pretty awesome.

....only because there's a mod that lets you play as Lord Vader the entire game.

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I think the Leia book has potential: we might get to see Mon Mothma and Ackbar and the rest of the High Command intimately. Maybe we might even see the split between Mothma and Bel Iblis! [face_praying]

9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I'm not sure I really want to see this, honestly. o_O

GrandAdmiralJello and Whuffa like this.
  10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    THAT'S REALLY WITTY, WELL DONE! =D=

[face_plain]

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  11. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Thank you. I'm bored, so I'm here all week.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Strange that that's not available for TFU 1. Considering you play as Vader for the first level, I would think it wouldn't be particularly difficult to mod the game to allow him to be used for the rest of it. But I'm not particularly knowledgeable about modding.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, my thoughts as well. I mean, you have to edit the model to allow it to double jump and use lightning--otherwise the game is unplayable, but the guy seemed to have no issue doing that in TFU2--the animations are otherwise identical to Vader from TFU1, down to the fact that he never runs, just strides forward menacingly.

Although I do think they improved the cape physics. When you die, the cape cloth actually drapes over the contours of your body. Clearly the best part of DMM: Vader's cape.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Announcement today from NYCC:

"New Han Solo classic era novel written by James S. A. Correy. Part of the new "Rebels" series of stand alone novels set in the Classic era."

15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    And from such a fresh and original point of view.

16. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I'm actually quite amused - I have friends who really love Daniel Abraham (one of the two writers who make up the pseudonym James A. S. Correy) but hate Star Wars novels...so I'm hoping their heads explode ;)

17. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    Zzzzzz...I've never found the Rebels very interesting or exciting. Wake me when the Dawn of the Jedi novel comes out, and again when they un-cancel the Nomi Sunrider novel...

Manisphere likes this.
  18. CQuigley

CQuigley Guest

Have you read anything from him?

19. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    This may be a really dumb question but is this a kids series we're talking about?

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    For adults like us.

cdgodin, DarthBoba, windu4 and 6 others like this.
  23. julioangelortiz

julioangelortiz Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2007
    I'm actually very glad they're doing this, but perhaps not why you might think.

Rebels allows the books to feature the Big 3 in a time frame that allows them to be front and center in a "realistic" way (during their early days) in a time period that sounds like it's been underdeveloped in the novels. Let's face it, the Big 3 are the most recognizable faces for the brand, and help sell books. For the casual EU reader, these could be the novels they're drawn to and keep the Big 3 on the shelves.

But this allows them to allow the next generation to - finally - truly take center stage in the Legacy-era books post-Crucible. Ben, Jaina, Allana, and company can be the leads in those books (which will undoubtedly still have appearances from the Big 3 in hopefully lesser capacities) to satiate the invested EU readers who find it (understandably) hard to believe Luke and company are still running and saving the galaxy in their latter years. I think it's a win-win for everyone, and very smart marketing.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I'm still hoping that they give us a Wedge book, by someone who loves Wedge and knows what he's like.

To answer a question, I've read one of Abraham's MLN Hanover pseudonym books - urban fantasy, female first person narrative. It was kinda Buffy lite - didn't feel at all compelled to go further. But it was decently written.

Which brings me to a question: what perspective will these be - first or third person? Do we have any news about that?

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I will take a Wedge book

Rew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.