main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

No Other Choice ( JA, Obi, Qui, angst, h/c) - Promise kept, updated (1-30-03)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Antigone, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    This is incredabley good! I really want to know what has happened to Obi-wan now...please tell us soon!

Hugs
    Kithera

2. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Keep going please! You have left me with all sorts of questions running thru my brain.

3. lt_ketch09

lt_ketch09 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    I wonder what the healers would find if they did a full evaluation?

Great post Antigone :)

I can't wait for more 8-}

4. Antigone

Antigone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Awwww, you guys are the best...I think I've said that every time, but, seriously, you are! Here's the fourth part, you will get some more answers next post, maybe not the exact ones some of you are looking for, but you will ;) Hope you enjoy!

5. Antigone

Feb 24, 2002
    Throwing on a pair of pants, Obi-Wan vigorously scrubbed the towel through his wet spikes and, after absorbing enough water to classify the hair damp, he threw the towel in the laundry bin and went over the ?fresher sink. He rubbed his hand in a circular motion across the mirror, ridding it of the condensation then wiping the moisture onto his pants. His eyes latched onto the image in the fogged glass and he wondered why other people, besides those close to him, have not hounded him for an explanation.

He was always lean, the knowledge was nothing new, but his ribs were quickly becoming too countable, his cheeks too hollow, his collarbone too pronounced.

Thank the Force for the Jedi?s baggy ensemble, Obi-Wan thought. Without it, I?m sure that right now I would be chained to some sterile bed in the Healer?s wing with tubes stuck up Force knows where?

Shuddering, either at his own reflection or the image of him chained to a starch-white healing couch, he took one last look at the mirror ? now, almost void of the opaque steam which obscured its entirety a few minutes prior ? before grabbing his tunic off the towel rack, opening the door, and clicking off the hololights as he stepped into the hall.

The shower having cleared his head, Obi-Wan began to go over yesterday. It was a night of sheer hell, but no more than he was used to. He had been going to the small establishment for a while ? three or four visits, for sure ? once every week, and he had grown accustomed to the distasteful side-effects.

The day he was scheduled to go in was the worst, Obi-Wan decided. Not the time after, but rather the time before. Obi-Wan was paranoid about missing his allotted time slot; the second visit he had been a few minutes late ? saber practice with Qui-Gon had run over ? and he arrived to find that he had been bumped off and was told he would probably have to wait until his following appointment to get what he needed. Panicking, Obi-Wan stuttered that he would wait in case of a cancellation.

?They?re rare,? the girl had said, somehow making the comment sound flat, disinterested, and pointed at the same time.

Fortunately, one man did not show up and Obi-Wan?s waiting was not in vain. As he exited the small side room a half an hour later, he was completely aware of the hushed voices of two female twe?liks leaning against the grimy permacrete wall, whispering that the man whose spot Obi-Wan had taken missed his visit because of his sudden death. The man had died in a hover-taxi on his way to the purposely obscured establishment and the driver, upon realizing his client to be totally unresponsive, had rushed to the nearest medical center, but the man?s body was stone-dead upon arrival.

Obi-Wan remembered thinking the twe?liks to be akin to prostitutes, if not so, and that they must have obtained such information from the small, barely functioning radio unit blaring speaking mixed with static into the crowded waiting room, but no remorse ? at least not at that time. He was too busy enjoying a more pleasant, yet short lived side- effect of his visit. Rubbing the small bacta patch on the inside of his right, upper forearm, Obi-Wan tugged the sleeve of his tunic (the least ?Jedi-looking? one he could find) back into place before exiting and beginning the relatively long walk back to the Temple. His state of euphoric pleasure had lasted well into the night, allowing him to easily withstand a lecture from Qui-Gon for ?disappearing for four hours? and the hour of meditation which followed. It wasn?t until later when he was lying facedown on the ?fresher floor that he mourned for the dead man.

But, even as he mourned, a tiny part of him was grateful. At least *he* had gotten what he needed. Besides, he reasoned, what if a problem requiring Jedi had arisen? He would have had to be at Qui-Gon?s side protecting him, not desperately counting the minutes until his next appointment. He had to remain strong; he had to be a good, worthy padawan?

Checking to make sure his braid had not become undone or

6. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    What is he addicted to? And why doesn't anyone else see the problem????

7. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Sounds serious, Obi's losing weight and I'm sure that's not good. What is this place that Obi goes to and what is he getting there? Did whatever it was kill the man in the hover taxi? I think Bant's starting to suspect something.

8. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    well, what ever that place is Obi goes you can be sure he's not getting a pedicure, hopefully Bant is getting wise to him, he is acting strange, I mean who could actually be interested in that boring lesson. 7

9. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    Oh Hoo .. New post ! !

the Admiral

10. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Oooh you need to post more! Yes more! Lots more!

What's going on with Obi?

11. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    *begin's chant*

MORE MORE MORE MORE

12. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Really wonderful story, except...
    Need another post! :)

13. Antigone

Feb 24, 2002
    Well, here's chapter five! Hope you like :D Thanx to all (again) who've r/r! You guyz are great and it makes my day to read them!

14. Antigone

Feb 24, 2002

Qui-Gon arched his back, attempting to work out the last of the kinks left from yesterday?s sparing session as he walked down the hallway. He reached his padawan?s room, but paused before he knocked. For the last week, with the exception of the small tardiness infraction, Obi-Wan had been the model padawan; perhaps he could be allowed to sleep in?

No, Qui-Gon thought. As much as he would love to reward his padawan?s diligence, the master had another in a long stream of meetings to attend. A warring faction on the planet Xaron, the Melites, had sent a rather overzealous ambassador in hopes of receiving a solution to their planet?s issues. Stipulating, however, that the solution to be favorable to the Melites. Qui-Gon, renowned as on of the most successful negotiators within the Jedi ranks, had been specifically requested ? ordered ? to attend, but even Qui-Gon?s cultivated skills could not make any progress with a being who insisted on discussing peace, but refused to make any concessions.

Letting Obi-Wan sleep would not be an option ? that is, if Qui-Gon wanted to be sure his padawan ate. Though Obi-Wan?s skills, with few exceptions, have not been lacking, the boy was still not eating as he did a few months ago. Qui-Gon used to have to hide food so his padawan would not get into it; now, he found himself throwing away what seemed like more than the two Jedi ate.

Yesterday, Qui-Gon had directly approached the problem only to have Obi-Wan brush it off with a laugh, ?It?s a silent protest to your culinary abilities, Master.?

Qui-Gon shook his head, bring himself back to the present and, knocking on the boy?s door, he called, ?Padawan, time to get up.?

He had to wait a moment before a slurred voice responded, ??Kay, Master. Be there in a sec?.?

?Hurry Obi-Wan; wouldn?t want your breakfast to get cold.?

Qui-Gon listened at the door for a little longer until the noise of a half-asleep apprentice groping for the first available tunic floated out from within. Smiling, he then returned to the table and was joined soon afterwards by a bleary eyed, but dressed apprentice.

Obi-Wan dropped himself into his usual chair, across from Qui-Gon, and greeted the other, ?Good morning, Master.?

?Good morning, Obi-Wan. Sleep well??

The padawan took a small bite of a piece of toast before placing it back down on his plate. ?Yes, Master.?

Qui-Gon glanced at the toast, ?Not hungry?again??

Obi-Wan started at the question, quickly shook his head, and promptly turned his attention to the holovision ? seemingly out of place, for it was never on, but a welcome distraction nonetheless.

??Both mother and child are resting comfortably at Coruscant Memorial. And in other news, we have an update on the case of local politician, Recorn Willoc. As you may remember, Willoc was found dead last month in the back seat of a taxi. Authorities were initially baffled at the sudden death the forty-two year old senate candidate, but results of a recent autopsy have revealed ??

Obi-Wan literally flew across the room, quickly breeching the ten foot distance to the holovision, slapping at the control panel, and effectively removing the offensive image from the eyes of his master.

?Obi-Wan!? Qui-Gon stood up, pushing his chair back, and staring at his now sheepish padawan. ?What are you doing??

?Ummm, well, master?I figured since, you know, we never watch the holo at mealtime?why start now?? Obi-Wan gave an unsure smile and a small laugh which ended in sigh.

Qui-Gon threw an incredulous look at his padawan before stalking over to the holovision and turning it back on.

??one was injured, but the fire did cause two million credits in damage. The family is expected to receive aid from the state to help them rebuild. Now, as we are out of time, I?m Hicara Tiliquit with holo five news. Have a good day!?

Switching the holo off again, Qui-Gon turned to Obi-Wan. ?Why did you turn it off??

?Umm,? desperately looking for some escape, Obi-Wan?s eyes fell on the chrono perched on top of

15. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    I think Qui-gon would be justified in following Obi around-spy on him. it must be late I keep seeing Renton in Trainspotting. 7

16. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    I'm getting a similair picture in my mind, 7. And of course, he slaps off the news just as we were about to get an answer.

17. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    If Bant wasn't suspicious before she ought to be now. I think Qui-Gon is starting to worry also. Maybe those two need to start comparing notes. What has Obi gotten himself into?

18. Loryn_Wilde

Loryn_Wilde Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2002
    SOMEONE didn't tell me about their post... again! But that's all right. This time. Still moving along so very nicely... You're setting this story up perfectly and also keeping everyone in character under these strained conditions. Shibby!

19. Antigone

Feb 24, 2002
    Grr, sorry guyz, I just forgot to say that in the last post, there was a bit of confusion...before I fixed it =) Some people thought that the scorch mark was from someone else, but actually, it was the result of Qui-Gon's 'saber. Obi just didn't want his master to know because he knew that Qui would insist he go to the healers and while he was there, they might start to suspect something and run some tests...
    Can't have Qui find out TOO soon, right? He'll find out in, say 10 posts (I'm not very good at estimation, don't quote me =) So much suffering to inflict, so little time...

20. Calayka_Bele

Calayka_Bele Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2000
    Please post more soon! This story has me practically glued to my computer screen. :)

~Cal

21. Antigone

Feb 24, 2002
    Well, here it is...sorry for the delay, work to do, speeches to write, movies to see :D...hope it was worth it.

22. Antigone

Feb 24, 2002
    Qui-Gon massaged the bridge of his nose before turning back to the apprentice in front of him.

?I?m sorry, Bant, but where did you say he went??

?He said something about tutoring someone.?

Bant clasped her hands tightly in front of her in an attempt to avoid fidgeting. She would be an impeccable liar ? if it was the tendency of the Jedi to lie ? and if she could only keep her nervous hands from betraying her.

?Who??

Bant cringed inwardly. She had hoped that Master Jinn would just accept the news; then she could go and Obi-Wan could handle the details when he got back. Apparently, that wasn?t how the Force intended this to work.

?I believe it was an initiate, Master Jinn.?

?Name??

Bant sighed. Obi, she thought, you?re going to be doing my physics homework for the next month! ?I don?t know, Master. He didn?t say.?

Qui-Gon looked at her for a moment before tucking his arms into the folds of his cloak, calmly thanking the girl, and walking out of the training room.

Obi-Wan palmed open the door to his quarters, not bothering to call out for his master ? both knew of the other?s presence in the apartment. Obi-Wan had arrived home right before evening meal, just as he had all the other times he had left the Temple ? only this time, he would have to outright lie to Qui-Gon. He hastily threw his bunched up poncho into his bed chambers before walking towards the kitchen, checking his shields, and entering.

?Hello, Master.?

Qui-Gon turned from his dinner preparations to his padawan, a forced smile on his lips, ?Hello, Obi-Wan. How did the studying go??

A trace of confusion graced Obi-Wan?s features, ?Studying??

?Yes, Bant said that you were studying for a galactic history exam?weren?t you??

Obi-Wan almost kicked himself. That must have been Bant?s excuse for him!

?Oh! Yes, Master. It went very well. I should ace the next test.?

Obi-Wan flashed his master a smile, not noticing Qui-Gon?s suddenly darker visage. The master?s suspicions were correct; Obi-Wan was hiding something from him.

?Then I shall hold you to that.? The master spoke hardly and began attacking the food in front of him with more strength than was needed. Realizing his frustration, he relaxed, found his center, and turned to his padawan.

Qui-Gon put down the knife he was using to chop the muja fruit, ?Obi-Wan.?

The padawan, who was setting the table, continued to as he answered, ?Yes, Master??

?Wha-? Qui-Gon started, but was interrupted by the blare of the apartment comlink. Sighing, he left the kitchen and went into the common area, to the comstation.

Hushed voices floated into the kitchen, voices which Obi-Wan tried to ignore as he first finished setting the table, then went on to finish his master?s dinner preparations. He was already lying to his master; he would not make himself feel worse by eavesdropping.

A few minutes later, Qui-Gon returned looking infinitely more tired than when he had left. He rubbed his forehead and closed his eyes.

?Obi-Wan??

?Yes, Master.?

Obi-Wan, now washing another muja fruit, put it down on the counter and turned his full attention to Qui-Gon.

?I told you of my negotiations, correct??

Obi-Wan nodded.

?Well, they fell through. We have been ordered to go to the planet and continue them there.?

Qui-Gon cast a glance at the raw food waiting to be cooked, ?And we have to leave right now. Would you mind cleaning up? I have a few more issues to take care of. I guess we?ll eat on the transport.?

Despite himself, Qui-Gon gave a small smile at the look of complete revulsion on his padawan?s face. Obi-Wan was never one for transport food.

?Yes, Master.?

?Hurry. When you?re done, pack, and we?ll go.?

?Yes, Master.?

?One moment, master. Please??

Qui-Gon checked his chrono, ?Obi-Wan, we only have fifteen minutes to get the docking station.?

?I know, I just want to say good-bye. In person.?

Qui-Gon sighed and waved his padawan off. ?Be back here in te

23. Antigone

Feb 24, 2002
    ::Curses self for posting at midnight::

24. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Wow. what a story. I hope Obi will be alright. He looks like a drugie. ;)

More soon please! :)

25. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    This just keeps getting better every time I read another post! I can't wait for more! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.