main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[NRW]The prequels

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Pipboy, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    As much as I dislike the prequels, that's just as bad...

E_S

2. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    Clone Masters how fun that would have been :rolleyes:

I very much prefer the Prequels revolving around the rise of Palpatine and how the Clone Wars was just a huge scheme with him leading both armies. I highly doubt Zahn would have done anything that creative.

3. Pipboy

Pipboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2006
    One I would have approved of myself. But by no means would I have ended things there. I think that a complete overhaul of everything about sidious and vader is needed. Clones being closer to the Zahn idea, the separatists not using combat droids as it cheapens the devastating cost of war, clones on both sides would have been a great idea. A complete scriptectomy.

Clone masters on both sides, an actual face of the sith that I could respect. Dooku? Have you ever heard a stupider name for a villian we are supposed to fear. Maul? Monosyllabic idiot. How about midichlorians.

4. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    You really doubt Zahn. Lucas sucks as a writer, and he left huge plot holes in that 'plot', writes romance and dialogue horribly, and created blantant stereotypes of characters and races.

5. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    I think Dooku is an AWESOME name. Not every villain should be a Vader or a Sidious.

Brakiss sucks, though.

6. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Yes Zahn would have done it alot better. As first all the clones would be have of Pellaeon with Thrawn leding the entire military from the background, and we would see how Palps would be waiting to train Mara to entire time. Then Jorj Car'das would have used his political sauvy to make Palps emperor. Boy that would be fun.:p

7. Pipboy

Jul 16, 2006
    You know what.... Doooooooooo Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, say that out loud please. Listen to it. Pokemon would be embarassed to have that name.

8. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    People who hate, make fun of or don't understand Dooku and names like that, are the same people who would mock Asian names and cultures.

9. P_F_A_F_F

P_F_A_F_F Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    Have all the Prequels re-written. Retcon the Gungans and Jar Jar out of existence entirely. Have Obi-wan's master Yoda. Have the Jedi Order allow love, just not between the Jedi. Have Padme a Jedi Knight, and Amidala is an different person and is the president of Naboo. Anakin is 15 years old, not 9(really, a nine year old being accepted for Jedi Training should be common place, considering how big the Galaxy is). Have the Trade Federation blockade be about slavery. Have Darth Maul use two lightsabers, instead of a saber-staff. Have the Sepratists begin using Clones first.
    ----------------------------

Wait what? Some of those changes seem really random! Why makePadme a jedi? Why make the TF blockade about slavery, why two lightsabers, why clones, why anything you just said?!

As for pt retcons, dialogue should defintly be changed. Also, an older character set would also gel better with the OT. Other than, mostly the biggest problem is the delivery and not the story.

10. Jango_Fettish

Aug 17, 2002
    Who cares if Dooku is a stupid name? Christopher Lee is the man, and he made a perfect disillusioned old Jedi.

11. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    Making Padme a Jedi makes a real big taboo about her and Anakin, since they would both be Jedi. Since slavery is always evil. Since it is the Clone Wars. Because it'd make a much better story, a lot more pleasing to watch?

12. Pipboy

Jul 16, 2006
    You are serious?

Seriously?

Wow....

Given that one of my primary hobbies is Japanese psycho-anthropology, chinese cultural history and anime I would say that your really silly, and thats a word 12 times nicer than what I really mean to say.

Li Mu Bai, Kazama, Hayate, Gou Lin, Sun Kin and thousand other asian influenced names are perfectly fine. Dooku is a embarassing mixture of syllables that robs menace from the character. The fact that Lucas didn't see that is amazing.

13. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    This just makes me chuckle, so it is not evil enough that they blockade and then assualted a peaceful planet killing hundreds of people and rounding the rest into camps.

14. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    After doing that, and making the people work in Forced Labor would have been much worse, much worse than just an occupation and blockade.

15. Pipboy

Jul 16, 2006
    Great changes all. I see where you are coming from, though I would add to that, give the anakin part to Edward Norton and use maul as the villain for the entire prequel trilogy, a younger more vital villian is needed to create a thematic rival for anakin.

16. Jango_Fettish

Aug 17, 2002
    This thread is funny, because even if the prequels were perfect everyone could still come up with an idea that they think is better or how they would have done it. I thought the idea of NRW was to try to make confilicting stories fit into canon or offer new explanations to events, not complain that certain canon material should not exist.

17. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    Retconning can also be improving a certain canon story.

18. Mayor_Adam_West

Mayor_Adam_West Jedi Master star 2

Aug 22, 2006
    Eh, I like the prequels just fine. I think Palpatines rise to power was perfect. If I could changes something, I'd tone down Jar Jar a bit. No I don't mean remove him, just not so in your face in parts.

Thats a hobby? [face_hypnotized]

btw, why is this an nrw thread? Seems like you jsut want to complain about the prequels.

19. Jango_Fettish

Aug 17, 2002
    Retconning can also be improving a certain canon story.

I know, but so far there has been no retconning of events. Only "George did it wrong, it should have been like this..."

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    He's twice mispronounced Asian terms for names; Qui-Gon (Qi Gong for Qui-Gon, doku for Dooku). Once worked, the other didn't.

I should point out I haev a proper Chinese name; Jiang3 An1 Ru2. I lived in Taipei, and have a pretty good exposure to Chinese culture. I also stayed for some time in Hong KOng, Shenzen and Singapore. I ask you to consider this, Dark_Faith, when I wholly endorse what pipboy said about fine/not-fine Asian names.

xiexie ni,

E_S

21. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    You know, it's kind of funny that if you say one negative word about Karen Traviss you get edited so fast your head could spin, and yet statements like this are apparently perfectly fine. The creator of Star Wars deserves less respect than a two-bit author.

Why is this in the Lit forum anyway? Isn't there a Basher's Sanctuary where people can explain in great detail how Lucas should have called them up to write the prequels?

22. Pipboy

Jul 16, 2006
    Now Doku is a good name. Ther hard Do is supported by the strong ku. It is a masculine and menacing name. Qui Gon is not bad for the same reason. Kwai is a strong sound, as is gon. The problem is the doo sound. Its a weak sound and you can go from strong to weak or from weak to weak but never weak to strong. Especially when you are playing around with a sound that has as many silly connotations as doo.

And yes, that is a hobby. I find facinating the culturally held views of the japanese, and this effect on their action and media.

And apparently I am not the only one that is looking to vent about the prequels given how painfully quickly this thread is building up. I feel like its something on warcraft general not the rather sleepy languid JC-lit board.

And hydronium, a forum must allow all different view points or it is less of a forum than a choir.

23. Mayor_Adam_West

Aug 22, 2006
    I don't see what all the hoopla is over a name. Who cares? It's no worse than stuff like Corran, Wedge, Boba, and the multitude of apostropheed names that exist.

24. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    See that big banner at the top? "TheForce.Net LITERATURE".

Literature is a body of written works. Movies are not literature. Therefore, complaining about movies is not a topic for the Literature forum.

Because Lucas made it and he didn't ask me and I really wanted him to use my ideas! :_| I would have given him an awesome name like DARTH DEATHENSTEIN BLOODKILLER.

25. Mayor_Adam_West

Aug 22, 2006

I'm curious. Why not? I wasn't aware there were rules for names, especially in Star Wars, where most names sound wierd.

Just be thankful its not D'ook'u.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.