main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Number of tickets sold for each Star Wars movie.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Binary_Sunset, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Spider-Man was released at the beginning of May in the US and Canada, which is what matters to the domestic numbers posted here.

If you're referring to me, I've got no agenda here whatsoever. :p

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I remembered LOTR being in the fall, but whatever, we're arguing semantics now and this is getting silly.

Again, what's your point? If I could actually pin down the purpose of this thread, this discussion would be easier and more interesting. But for some reason nobody wants to state a purpose other than "to talk about Star Wars," which is the purpose of every thread outside the JC Community forums.

So what exactly is the reason for tossing around box office figures?

3. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    I don't know. Personally, I have no point, I just find it kind of interesting.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's kind of interesting when looking at movie-going trends and cultural trends at the time each film was released. Comparing the films to each other, though, not so much, given that it's not a straight comparison by any means.

And I wasn't big on fabricated popularity contests when I was in middle school and such contests were age-appropriate.

5. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    For what it's worth, TPM is my least favorite prequel. I much prefer AotC to it.

Those films' respective numbers are basically the opposite of what they should be if I was trying to be all, "My opinions match up with the numbers and are therefore fact!" as you're implying.

6. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Not really : Superman came in 1978, Flash Gordon in 1980, Batman in 1989, Dick Tracy in 1990,....., and last, but not least, HOWARD THE DUCK in 1986 ! ;)

You probably meant the first Marvel comics ever made since modern CGI and digital FX made its way to the big screen. But even then, X-Men was released 2 years before (2000).

But of course it was highly anticipated as the cultest of all Marvel comics with the Fantastic Four, and a cult director (S.Raimi) behind the camera.

7. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    He meant that it was the first time anyone had made a Spider-Man movie, rather than it being a sequel or a reboot. So it had the novelty factor.

8. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    OK.

I did saw she mentioned Batman in a previous post, but really couldn't get it...:(

Sorry.

9. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Thought of another one I wanted to check out and figured I'd share:

Star Wars - $307 million
    Budget $11 million (2791%)

The Empire Strikes Back - $209 million
    Budget $18 million (1161%)

Return of the Jedi - $253 million
    Budget $32.5 million (778%)

The Phantom Menace - $431 million
    Budget $115 million (375%)

Attack of the Clones - $302 million
    Budget $115 million (263%)

Revenge of the Sith - $380 million
    Budget $113 million (336%)

This is of course not at all taking into account the revenues gained from merchandise, tie-ins, etc.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Kind of interesting how both trilogies have the same high-low-high. First film does very very well, second film sees a major drop, third film bounces back somewhat.

FWIW, I'd bet the prequels made a hell of a lot more on merchandising, just because of the presence of video games, plus the books/comics onslaught.

11. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    Maybe it's just about ticket sales and the numbers?

Do not derail this thread.

12. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    To add something :

- the ticket sales comparison of the first post includes the SE for the OT movies.

- STAR WARS/ANH has been re-released multiple times between 1977-1978 and 1997.

A proper and more meaningful chart should take this into account, and only keep ticket sales regarding 1977, 1980, and 1983 for the OT movies, thus erasing most of the missing home video factor of the era.

The Gross chart by JKH above, converted into ticket sales, is fairer, although it still includes re-release for SW/ANH.

13. Juan-King

Juan-King Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2004
    ?? say what ?

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Relax it's a Belloq quote.

15. Juan-King

Juan-King Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2004
    well I know you're para-phrasing Belloq , but what point are you trying to make ?

16. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    TPM is going to take the record for highest box office, because it's out this year in 3D.

Then the Mayan calendar ends, so the other ones won't be re-released, and the apocalypse will seal TPM's victory for the rest of eternity. =D=

17. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    TPM will still never beat the original three adjusted for inflation, of course.

Oh yeah I'm really hoping that apocalypse thing happens! Then The Dark Knight Rises will definitely beat The Hobbit. [face_thinking] :D

18. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I agree. Does anyone have the numbers for each of the Star Wars movies EXCLUDING re-releases?

19. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    That would be a bit difficult, especially for the OT. Those films had several re-releases before the '97 SEs. I think SW had at least a few before ESB was even released.
    But it would be interesting to see SW, ESB, and ROTJ's original theatrical release numbers.

20. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    I'm impressed with how much information can be found on boxofficemojo.com. Below are the estimated ticket sales only for each of the six movies' initial release. Sometimes a movie was taken out of theatres, and then came back a couple months later. I include only those ticket sales that were sold in its initial, uninterrupted release.

For each movie I list the following:
    1. The dates of its first release
    2. The estimated number of tickets sold during its first release
    3. This number expressed as a percentage, defining TPM as 100% (since it sold the most)
    4. The link to the information on boxofficemojo

Star Wars (May 20-Sept. 1, 1977): 56,497,600 (67%)
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=starwars4.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

Empire Strikes Back (May 16-Aug. 14, 1980): 52,629,300 (63%)
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=starwars5.htm&sort=date&order=DESC&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

Return of the Jedi (May 20-Oct. 27, 1983): 76,761,800 (91%)
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=starwars6.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

The Phantom Menace (May 14-Nov. 4, 1999): 84,194,800 (100%)
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=starwars.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

Attack of the Clones (May 10-Oct. 31, 2002): 52,011,100 (62%)
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=starwars2.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

Revenge of the Sith (May 13-Oct. 20, 2005): 59,324,600 (70%)
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=starwars3.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

21. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Let's correct for changes in the population of the United States. Following are the U. S. Census Bureau's estimates for the U. S. population on July 1 of each of the following years:

1977: 220,239,425
    1980: 227,224,681
    1983: 233,791,994
    1999: 272,690,813
    http://www.census.gov/popest/data/national/totals/pre-1980/tables/popclockest.txt
    2002: 288,368,698
    http://www.census.gov/popest/data/national/totals/2002/tables/NA-EST2002-01.pdf
    2005: 296,410,404
    http://www.census.gov/popest/data/state/totals/2005/tables/NST-EST2005-01.xls

Here are the ticket sales of the films' initial releases expressed as percentages of the population in the years in which they were released:

SW: 25.65%
    ESB: 23.16%
    ROTJ: 32.83%
    TPM: 30.88%
    AOTC: 18.04%
    ROTS: 20.01%

22. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I would like to see a week by week chart for each movie's time in the theaters. Noting any and all re-releases. That way you could compare how they did to one another for similar time frames.

23. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Well, Star Wars was a slow burner if were going by similar time frames. It just opened and then didnt leave for months inititally. Nowadays, films are Big Bang and then out (except for Titanic).
    Still, SW was only in theaters for 4 months first go round.

Binary, I'm surprised that information was so readily available, but it's fascinating. Nice work. :)

edit: I have to say I'm impressed with how well TPM compares to the OT with ticket sales. Then again, people were starved for a new SW film by then and had been whipped into a frenzy.
    AOTC surprises me with how weak it was with sales. ROTS didn't fare much better.

However, what this does is point out what a touchstone SW was and remains. In that context, SW was a bolt out of the blue with only TPM from the PT coming anywhere close.

24. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    I, too, am surprised by how well TPM did.

My single biggest surprise, though, is how well ROTJ did. In terms of percentages, it did better than any other Star Wars film! I never would have guessed that.

25. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

These are what we call "next level" statistics.