main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ NZFF will be around to End of August to give you time to arrange an event.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Adalia-Durron , Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Really, it saddens my heart to have to tell you that due to inactivity, lack of CR and no social events, I have had to make the tough decision to have your boards closed. Please, if you can someday build a Fan Force back, let me know as I will be more than happy to help you get re-established. But as it stands, this is a one weeks notice letting you know the NZ FF will be closed. Once again, I am sorry.

2. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    I don't really understand the point of this. Does the existence of this board cost anyone money? Or time? Or resources? Why close it down?

3. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Sadly its the rules of TF.N.

A board must remain active and the members must have at least one social meet every 4 or so months warrant calling it a fan force.

"Four months with out an official meeting of some sort planned and the chapter will lose their official status, and then the forum."

I cannot see any evidence of a meeting here in a very long time and the only time there is posting is when I come to say "you need to post". Sadly,
    that is not really enough.

"Chapters need to use their TFN forum often for event postings, chapter updates, and some socialization to draw in new members. The forum is the chapters main connection with FanForce. If a chapter only uses their forum to announce events, or does not use it at all, then the chapter will lose their claim on the forum, and their right to be called a FanForce. Off site forums are allowed, but they are not to replace the TFN forum. The FanForce administration cannot protect chapters as well if the bulk of what happens with the chapter is on a different forum and cannot help to settle disputes because there is no access to the forum, PMs, or the like."

Please don't shoot the messenger.

4. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    THIS SUCKS BIG TIME :mad:

Since the last threat of closure, things have picked up in here.

5. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Anyone in Auckland up for a coffee on the weekend then?

6. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    fanforce outing to the erotica expo!!!!

7. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Ummmm ... no.

8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Activity has only increased marginally, with it going days without a single post here. But please, if you can show me a meet up, and you need a CR. No Fan Force can exist without a CR. Prove me wrong, please, by all means.

9. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 12, 2001
    It seems a curious policy, and one of excess arbitrary and unnecessary regulation. Yes, a main aim of FanForce was link up fans in the offline world, but there's something to be said for even occasional local community interaction online. There may not be much going on, but it hardly causes any problems, and it's not as if groups of kiwi fans abandoned this "official" forum for other pastures. Really, is a CR all that necessary?

If there had been a mass exodus of this community's members to another forum, then I could perhaps understand such a decision. But this is not the case, and, given the evolutionary nature of such forums, to close it in these circumstances essentially eliminates any chance of it returning, demonstrates a devaluing of and lack of appreciation for the interaction that does take place, and ultimately serves only to hasten fandom's demise.

I realise the policy is not your doing, Adalia, and that given my almost complete lack of involvement (at least under this ID) I can't really bemoan its passing, but to close one of the earliest communities which came together on the back of FanForce, rather than a pre-existing fan club, seems to dampen the spirit of FanForce in favour of its organisational minutiae. And that spirit is far more valuable than any notion of official status.

10. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I thank you for not 'blaming me' as yes, this is just TF.N policy and not my personal doing. I will bring all your concerns to the leadership here.

11. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    As a kiwi who has moved overseas, I love coming to this place to keep in touch with the guys I have left behind :_|

12. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    does having this board open cause an expense to thefore.net in monetary value? No. Does this board being open cause you as a mod any personal annoyance? No. Rules are bent and broken all the time. It's the bloody internet, who says rules apply anyway?

Adalia Edit: Trolling.

13. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    i bet you anything you like that NO board has constant 'meetings and outings together', and an internet board forcing that kind of rediculous prerequisit onto people is plain halarious.

ive already told you ill be CR, ill even make get togethers, which im sure no one will attend but at least i can make mock ones and do all that complete bull**** if it's what's required.

14. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
  15. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003

Whilst I find your insult utterly offensive and completely crossing the lines of trolling and baiting, I will not rise to such insults as I have already said, I do not make the rules. And if you insulted a police officer this way for enforcing rules they do not make you'd find yourself in a little more trouble. There are many Fan Forces that have a lot of meetings. The Queensland Fan Force, the South Australian Fan Force and the NSW Fan Force all manage a few meetings a year and post on a daily basis. The Victorian group was fading but since my first 'hey guys' they have started to post and are organizing a social meet. Sadly the Western Australians have fallen the same way you have but with a lot less viciousness and nastiness.

I have brought your concerns to the Admins and will be directing them to this thread to read your concerns and harsh words.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

16. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    This board has never really been active, and its taken this long to want to shut us down?

17. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    I personally would probably stop using this whole site if this forum does get closed.

Surely from SFL's emotional posts you can get some sort of gauge of how important this place is to all of us. Heck I wouldn't have met Mark without it.

Us kiwis are a passionate bunch, and as you can tell we rarely give in without a fight

18. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    The Admins have been here, they have read your pleas, and insults, and have made their decision. Once again, I am only the messenger, the decision has come from higher up and its only abiding by the rules all Fan Forces were and are established on. Whilst I do completely understand how you feel, I would be upset if this happened to my Fan Force, there is little I can do to change the situation without your help. Hawk wasn't around for some time and this is why this has been left for so long. I expected you to fight, but not with me. A meeting set up (coffee in two weeks in Wellington, or even picnic in a park or something in a months time, giving country members time to plan) and a CR who is able to negotiate and discuss problems without resorting to insults. Aussies are passionate too, and I am not here to say 'Oi, Aussie in charge here, do as I say or die', I don't want my 'region' to shrink at all. I honestly want all the Fan Forces in my region to thrive, and grow. No one wants to watch a graveyard. You still have a week, so please someone take the initiative and get the ball rolling to stop this.

19. Mr_Burns

Jan 12, 2001
    I wonder if those other FanForces have populations in more concentrated areas? We're fairly spread out...

I say this is all contrary to the norm of self-determination, and a violation of Chapter 1(1)(2) of the United Nations Charter, article 1 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, article 1 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, and article 15 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. I'm so taking this to the International Court of Justice. I likes my rules, too.

20. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    okay, well I'm seeing a few options for us here. One is moving to the starwars.com New Zealand message board. It doesn't look like it's been active since 2007, but it's there

http://forums.starwars.com/forum.jspa?forumID=125

Another option is asking if the New Zealand 501st message board would mine us hanging out there, even if we're not members of the 501st. They're over here:

http://outpost42.dr-maul.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

A third option is asking if the http://www.star-wars.co.nz website would mine hosting a message board for us. I think they already host the 501st's one.

21. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    Hmmmm. Let's look at some numbers: Forum / Topics / Posts

NZ / 1029 / 27475
    Oceania / 1218 / 75039
    QLD / 2842 / 94179
    SA / 1325 / 129507
    VIC / 828 / 32076
    WA / 1189 / 38557
    NSW / 1588 / 92112

We do pretty well considering how few of us there are compared to the "others" from the west island.

Mr_Burns: Bravo on both of your posts. =D= I agree 100%.

SFL: Sorry I was too late to read your original posts before they were "pinked" out. I know you are an emotional guy who stands up for what he believes in. [*sniff*] [:D]

As has been made abundantly clear, each of our geographical locations makes it pretty near impossible to meet regularly for coffee, movies OR erotica expo's.

Isn't the whole idea of having the boards is to have a "virtual" place to meet??

So if the NZ board gets shut down, it will be a sad sad day. [/start_god_defend_new_zealand]

If rules is rules, then sucks to be the rule makers. BOOOOOOOOOO!!!! [face_not_talking]

22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I have posted the rules to being a Fan Force and no, the Boards are for you to arrange RL meetings. They are a base for you to invite/include others and interact as well, but the main purpose of the Forum is not to just 'chat'. Once again, this is not my doing and the numbers you quote are not recent. There are many European Fan forces that take in the entire country. I wont keep apologizing for this.

FanForce is the physical, grass-roots extension of theforce.net's global, online presence. We're about getting fans together and helping them meet and interact with other fans in their "physical" community. Conventions, movie screenings, book signings, etc., can all be a part of the Fanforce experience. If a local a group of fans just wants to plan their own event, then Fanforce can be the place to do it!

23. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Guys

Adalia is doing her job, and she's doing it correctly. Personal comments and attacks are not on.

As she says, the whole function of a chapter having a forum is to arrange, plan, and advertise meet-ups. That's what FF is. Nothing to stop you all chatting and having a laugh as well, but if that's all you want to do, then you have the Oceania Regional Discussion board for that.

It's not hard to have a meet. All it needs is 3 of you to go and watch Clone Wars or something. Just say here in advance "We're going to see this movie next week. Anyone want to come", have 3 people go and bingo.

I can see there's a lot of bitterness, so I'd ask you just to step back a bit and consdier what's actually being said, not what you think is being said :)

24. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    It's not Addie's fault that this has to happen.
    The South Australian Fan Force is situated in a dinky little backwater city.. we are one the highest posting FanForces on the planet simply because we got off our backsides & WORKED to get new people... we do MASSIVE amounts of charity work all in Star Wars suits..
    Fanforce is not just about posting on a forum.. it's about getting together in RL.
    The SAFF does their best to meet up regularly - why? Because we've all become great friends in the process....All well & good to say you're passionate about the place but if that were the case you lot would post here more frequently. Maybe we've taken the love of SW to a whole new level.

Trust me, Addie doesn't want to see the place closed down, no-one does but if she doesn't do it, someone else will....

25. Mr_Burns

Jan 12, 2001
    I realise what the letter of the law is regarding the forums. I realise you're following that. And I suppose this isn't the place to challenge that policy.

But I still find it bizarre there is a perceived need to close the forum. I can only assume the underlying purpose of encouraging FanForce meetups is to foster stronger links between fans in their locality. This may well be the best way. But where fans may exist in somewhat of a state of geographic disparateness, surely some online fraternisation amongst countrypersons is better than nothing? Even if that interaction is minimal? Yes, we could go to the general Oceania forum, but why should that be necessary?

The boards are not short of bandwidth. The structure is such that quieter forums hardly lend a sense of deadwood to things. Why is there a need for such a policy? To what end?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.