main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

::Obi-Wan yell:: Nooooooooooo! ( TPM Greedo 100% confirmed )

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sturm Antilles, Sep 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    From Continuity is screwed, the official site.

"The hovering salvage droids and Podrace spectator balloons suspended high over Mos Espa seem oblivious to the scenario playing itself out in the slave quarters. The raucous cry of children echoes off the adobe huts. Anakin Skywalker, fresh from his victory at the Boonta Eve Podrace, is now dirtied and dusty as he brawls with a young Rodian named Greedo.

Qui-Gon Jinn steps in and stops the fight with his powerful and commanding presence. He lifts Anakin from the scuffle, and asks both children what prompted the fight. Wald, Anakin's Rodian friend, has some prophetic words for Greedo as Anakin and Qui-Gon wander off.

"It's an essay on the judicial use of your power," says Lucas. "It showed a little bit of the dark side of Anakin," adds McCallum."

Well, there we are. The biggest continuity error EVER in the history of the EU. These cut scenes are canon, because they're in the novelization and other sources.

Now we need an official fix...Perhaps in Dan Wallace's updated Essential Guide to Characters bios.

2. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Hum...

First, from tF.N : "Keep in mind that all of these scenes were deleted for a reason, and were not able to be seamlessly branched into the film and should not be considered canon." This is not official, but it could fix the thing. But there's the novelization where this scene's in, I think... So the continuity bug already existed for a while...

Second, maybe we should really start to consider those 'Tales' novels as the 'Tales' comics : Infinities. It happened, unless the situation is not realistic or it was contradicted by something else...

But of course, we need an official word...

3. RNolan

RNolan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2000
    Well there is nothing for it. When push comes to shove something as to go.

I am therefore declaring the Prequels acroprycal and out of the continuity loop for violating cannon.

yours

4. Wedges_Wingman

Wedges_Wingman Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 11, 2001
    I may be asking a stupid question (probably) but what's the error? (It's been a long day)

-J

5. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    In Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, there's a story about Greedo. And he does not grow up on Tatooine in that story.

6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    He may have spent a few summers on Tatooine. Because it wasn't a large part of Greedo's formative years, the information was left out of Tales.

As neither has all that in-depth a look at Greedo's life as a youngster, a few weeks or months on Tatooine could easily be slipped in.

However, I also agree that this is nothing new. The TPM scene has officially existed for several years now.

7. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Genghis is right. However, having this scene and this Rodian identified as Greedo isn't a continuity problem. While I believe it shows Lucas doesn't have any decent creative ideas in his head anymore, that still doesn't make it a continuity problem.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Could there be more than one Greedo in the galaxy? Maybe it's the Rodian equivalent of John

9. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Yep, lucas called some characters in ROTJ, greedo. It's his generic name. Saw it in some making of behind the scenes video, and he was ordering people into place for the jabba scene.

Like, how several people is called bail, or antilles.

Though I think his definition for rodian species is greedo.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Then in DF1, in the strategy guide Kyle Katarn himself said a very strange comment.

"Maybe I?ll get lucky and not run into any Ree-Yees on this expedition. Fat Chance, though. The empire loves to station them and Bossks on these isolated out-posts. I never thought I?d be pining for stormtroopers."-kyle, DF1 strategy guide.

Clearly the fact that the game calls rodians Greedos, and there was several interviews with lucas, on tv and news shows, were he was discussing the game, the future of technology, and the games enemies, when the game was made, clearly showed he was somewhat involved. I'm sure the naming hoohaws in DF1, were partly to blame because of lucas, and that few EU was out at that time.

11. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Why isn't the "I'm going to marry you scene" on the DVD -- that's the one scene that I really wanted...

12. Cowboy_Jedi

Cowboy_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    I wanted this one scene.......Darth Maul stabs Qui-Gon and then he points his saber at Obi-Wan and says "Your Next!". I know, it's not thar cool of scene but I wanted to see Obi-Wan's reaction.

Almost everyone I know calls Rodians, Greedos. It's just easier, but you can't just say the novel is doing that too. Lucas doesn't go by what EU says, he makes HIS movie HIS way, and if there is a problem with the continuty then you guys can do one of two things....
    1. Make up a crazy story to make it all fit together.
    2. Call EU AU.

13. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    "This is not official, but it could fix the thing. But there's the novelization where this scene's in, I think... So the continuity bug already existed for a while... "

The rodian in the novel isn't called Greedo

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
  15. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Actually, we have a third option . . .

3. Relegate certain scenes in the prequels or an entire film to AU.

16. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    GAW...
    :D , :eek:

17. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The scene has appeared in several of the movie adaptations, but the only one that names the Rodain is Anakin's Journal... And that identifies him as Wald!

"But of course, we need an official word..."

The Databank on the official site hasn't changed. That's good enough for me.

The scene isn't "in" the movie, and as it contradicts both the previous Greedo story and the other published versions of the scene, the "Greedo" part of it doesn't count.

TC

18. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Maybe its like the Gand naming system observed in RS...
    Greedo is the equivalent of being called 'Gand', perhaps...
    And Greedo didn't exactly accomplish much, hence being a 'Greedo'

19. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    That is only a Gand system. It doesn't apply to other species... And even Gnad have a name, so when Han talked to him, he'd used that name, not 'Greedo', IMO...

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, maybe han was insulting him, ;).

21. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Yeah, I thought about that, but then why is everyone insulting the poor guy ? ;)

22. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    <<In Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, there's a story about Greedo. And he does not grow up on Tatooine in that story. >>

It's not so much that, but the fact that Greedo is 19 as of ANH according to the anthology, and TPM is set 32 years before ANH.

<<Yep, lucas called some characters in ROTJ, greedo. It's his generic name. Saw it in some making of behind the scenes video, and he was ordering people into place for the jabba scene.

Like, how several people is called bail, or antilles.

Though I think his definition for rodian species is greedo. >>

He just says "Greedo" probably because he didn't come up with a real name or doesn't know it, which is no surprise because he doesn't have time to read the books. Terry Brooks did do research though, and called them Rodians in the TPM novelization.

But this is not just a Greedo. It's supposed to be the Greedo, judging from Wald's dialogue after him and Anakin fight. So it has to be him, or a relative. I still stick to it as him being Greedo's father ( which according to Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina was a great bounty hunter who was killed by Navik the Red ) and was unnamed for that story, fortunetly.

Remember that also, the Tales from... Greedo background goes against the one seen in Galaxy Guide 1:A New Hope, but the bio was later changed for the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition Sourcebook ( 1997. ) The early Greedo RPG bio could be a happy accident and form up with this new TPM Greedo.

<<I'm sure the naming hoohaws in DF1, were partly to blame because of lucas, and that few EU was out at that time. >>

I just consider the Bossks and Ree-Yees' in Dark Forces to be an Imperial cloning experiment. :)

<<Almost everyone I know calls Rodians, Greedos. It's just easier, but you can't just say the novel is doing that too. Lucas doesn't go by what EU says, he makes HIS movie HIS way, and if there is a problem with the continuty then you guys can do one of two things....
    1. Make up a crazy story to make it all fit together.
    2. Call EU AU. >>

You can, but we won't, and neither will LFL. Lucas has never officially called him "a Greedo". It's all off-camera and unofficial unless it's used in a novelization or movie storybook or guide.

<<The rodian in the novel isn't called Greedo >>

Doesn't matter. The one in the cut scene is Greedo, and that scene is depicting the same one in the novel.

<<The scene has appeared in several of the movie adaptations, but the only one that names the Rodain is Anakin's Journal... And that identifies him as Wald! >>

Yes, big mess-up. Anakin must have been on crack when he wrote that journal, as Wald is watching the fight from the side! :D

23. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I like the idea of Greedo in TPM. The comment by Wald is pretty neat.

24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    IMHO, the easiest solution to this problem is that the Greedo in TPM is another Rodian of the same name.

25. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.