main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Off Subject: Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mandalore74, Apr 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Not best than Star Wars... Just different. But not best!

2. jwkenobi

jwkenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 1999
    There are some interesting influences of LotR on Star Wars. For instance, Yoda is similar to Gollum in appearance and speech pattern -"tricksy it is". Also, you have the whole dark side/light side concept. Obi-Wan, the elder, is similar to Gandalf. The little guys (the Hobbits/Luke Skywalker) win the day. There are probably a lot more we could think of.

3. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    I would compare Luke to Aragorn more than the Hobbits. Coming into his own to claim his heritage, guided by an elder.

4. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    From all the places that the Company visits in The Fellowship of the Ring, which one is your favorite? Which one you liked the most?

I'm talking just about the first book, The Fellowship of the Ring.

To me that place has to be Lothlorien. Lovely place, interesting, magical, beautiful...

5. Mandalore74

Feb 1, 2001
    I would have to go with Moria. I loved seeing all of the Nine together fighting.

6. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    In the first book ?
    It's a tie between the last rooms of Moria (beginning with Mazarbul's chamber and rooms after that one) and Cerin Amroth.

For any French-speaking fellows among you, feel free to join the debate on FanForce France if you like, and if want to give a try at debating about LOTR in French. The thread is "Un topic exprès pour LOTR".

7. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    I would like to say that I have just purchased "Lord of the Rings" and I am halfway through "The Fellowship of the Ring". I'm at the part where they are all talking at Elronds house and Gandalf is explaining where he has been. This book rocks.

8. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I just started my annual reread of it today, I can't believe how much I forget in one year.

9. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Yep, the same goes with me for SW (it's really time I watched the movies again, I've almost forgotten all my quotes).

Tolkien's work did leave a more permanent mark on me though (it's been two years since I last read the Hobbit and several days ago a friend of mine asked me the answers to all of the riddles, and I did a flawless performance).

10. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I enjoyed LoTR, but I didnt think it was as great all the hype had led me to believe. All the build up of this nefarious villain Sauron, and when he appears (?) he's little more than a whimper; unrealistic war scenes ( ala SW ) and a too neatly packed ending. Nevertheless, I felt it was extremely well written and loaded with tons of allusions and symbolism, but it just left me a mite dissapointed. But I am really really looking forward to the film trilogy. :)

11. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I just hope that it won't be too disappointing. But, as of now, it looks pretty good.

12. Wessiri

Wessiri Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2001
    Is is possible, DVader316, that your disappointment with the ending of LOTR is because of your expectations? You describe the ending as 'neatly packed', but if it were, then it would end when the journey finishes. But is doesn't. After the main conflict is resolved, you expect that as the climax has been reached, the book will end - but instead Tolkien goes on to describe the destruction of the Shire and it's (partial) recovery.

The difference between LOTR and the tales that our generation have been brought up on is that LOTR isn't an event story, is a milleu story. It isn't about the characters, or even about the ring. It's about Middle Earth itself. It isn't a portrait, it's a landscape.

13. JonCrites

JonCrites Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 2001
    This last week I read "The Hobbit" and "The Fellowship of the Ring". Both were very cool. TFotR reminded me very much of The Empire Strikes Back. Once you read it, you will know why. I am currently on "The Two Towers".

14. JonCrites

JonCrites Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 2001
    Also, in a Tolkienesque story, I suggest "The Wheel of Time". It is an amzingly engrossing story. Be warned: It will leave you wanting your fix if you begin. It is also where my sig came from.

15. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Who wrote "The Wheel of Time"?

I am about half way through The Silmarillion right now, and I have to say I don't like it nearly as much as I did The Hobbit or The LOTR. Does anyone else feel this way?

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Robert somebody or other wrote Wheel of Time.

I like LOTR as much, if not more, than SW. I don't think Luke and Aragorn have much in common, though-I think Aragorn was aware of who he was from early in life. Luke wasn't.

17. CloneofPhanan

CloneofPhanan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2000
    I recently read the Hobbit, it was good enough to make me want to read Lord of the Rings. However it felt kind of self idulgent, it's as though Tolkien became so enamored of the sound of his pen on paper that he kept writing even though he didn't have an idea (I was getting kind of tired of hearing about how Bilbo missed his Hobbit-hole). But other than that I thought it was a good book with interesting characters (especially Gandalf, he's ****ing harsh).

18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    LOTR makes Hobbit look like a very minor effort. it's simply amazing, CoP.

19. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    For some strange reason I read LotR before the Hobbit. As I posted earlier, I enjoyed LotR but wasnt crazy about, and I figured Id read the Hobbit simply to get the entire story. I wasnt expecting anything unbelievable, but I figured Id enjoy it regardless.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised. I really loved the Hobbit, maybe more so than LotR in some ways. Of course, in sheer scope they are uncomparable ; but some of the battle scenes in the Hobbit were more realistic than those of the trilogy. Main characters and supporting characters alike died defending the dwarves precious gold. Smaug was actually a physical, threatening villain, ulike Sauron in the trilogy. And, lastly, right when the company learns of Smaug's death and try to finally reclaim what is their's, that is when the true adventure and conflict begin. Since I loved the Hobbit so Im going to reread LotR as soon as I am able. Maybe I'll have a greater appreciation for it the second time around. :)

20. Mandalore74

Feb 1, 2001
    Well, I have returned to my thread after a long absence with many questions that need answers. I don't even know where to begin, so I will just start.

I want to what all the books are by J.R.R. and Christopher Tolkien that deal with Middle-Earth. What are they called? How many are there? What is the correct chronological order for them (both in our time and Middle-Earth's)? Where can I find them in kind of a uniform set?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Mandalore

21. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999

Mandalore --

There's a boxed set of THE RETURN OF THE SHADOW, THE TREASON OF ISENGARD, THE WAR OF THE RING, and THE END OF THE THIRD AGE -- boxed as THE HISTORY OF THE LORD OF THE RINGS -- available in paperback from Houghton Mifflin. These books trace the evolution of LOTR as we know it from Tolkien's early drafts, chapter by chapter. They are fascinating. If even Tolkien had awkward passages, and wasn't always sure what would happen next, in his early drafts, then there's hope for the rest of us! I'm also fascinated by his "notes to self" as to where he though the story would go from each stopping point. He had much of the epic, but not all of it, imagined well ahead of his handwriting.

Yeah. Handwriting. He wrote his first drafts in pencil, then wrote OVER that in pen. His son Christopher makes a valiant attempt to decipher both drafts.

I suspect that those of us who have LOTR nearly memorized will especially enjoy the set.

IIRC, I got my copies at a local bookstore. I'm about halfway through THE WAR OF THE RING now.

Kathy

22. Mandalore74

Feb 1, 2001
    Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

23. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Ms. Tyers, if you dont mind my asking, how much does this Tolkien boxed set cost ?

24. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Hey KT! Long time no see!

25. Mandalore74

Feb 1, 2001
    Its listed at $50, but you can get it for $40 at B&N.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.