main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL* AotC at the Box Office Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by w_sasso_mdtv, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w_sasso_mdtv

w_sasso_mdtv Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2002
    http://boxofficemojo.com/articles/news/?id=020517sw2.htm

Well, according to estimates, the new Star Wars film managed to bring in $27 million on its opening day. Huge numbers indeed, but it still fell short of TPM's $28 million opening.

2. JarJarIsBoba

JarJarIsBoba Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    I wonder if this breaks a record for Thursday openings? ;)

3. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    I can't think of one movie that's ever opened on a Thursday! LOL

4. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    Just imagine if it had opened on a Friday. ;)

5. Knightstalker-

Knightstalker- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    That's only an estimate though, right?

6. KeithFranklin

KeithFranklin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 1998
    This doesnt seem correct...

If the midnight showings brought in 6-8 million. That left 19-21 million for the remainder of the day. Not all of the theaters had midnight showings either. And at the theater I went to they sold tickets for 2 screens for the midnight showings not for all 3 screens. Then I took my kids to the 5:20PM showing yesterday and it was 85% full. What was it like for the later showings when people have had a better chance to get home from work.

7. TuskinKiller

TuskinKiller Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    CANT WAIT TIL MONDAYS TOTAL ESTIMATE OVERALL

8. Knightstalker-

Aug 7, 2001
    Here in Australia, it didn't beat the opening day record which still belongs to LOTR, however, AOTC opened on a Thursday, whereas LOTR opened on Boxing Day. Of course, the media will neglect to mention that.

9. KeithFranklin

Jul 22, 1998
    I assume Boxing day is a holiday...What day of the week was it?

10. Knightstalker-

Aug 7, 2001
    It was a holiday.

11. JarJarIsBoba

JarJarIsBoba Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    It seems AOTC picked the worst possible opening day of the week.

12. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    If Boxing Day is the same Down Under as it is in Canada, it's December 26th.

13. KeithFranklin

Jul 22, 1998
    I wonder if since it opened on a Thursday did people just say Ill catch it on the weekend.

14. Riley Man

Riley Man Jedi Master star 5

Dec 19, 1999
    I've been kind of wondering if AOTC would be record-breaking or not on its opening day. Thursday is a strange day, first of all, so I think a good number of people will be waiting until tomorrow. But also, the demands placed on theatres has put this film at a disadvantage in the record-breaking department. Both the Silver City theatres here in Winnipeg only have two prints running -- and they only opened a second print due to demand. Also, the line-ups were rather daunting. I could see a good number of people being repulsed from seeing this movie until the second weekend, thinking the lines are going to continue (although I'm not so sure they will). And finally, there haven't really been many commercials for it out (at least on the channels I've watched). I know a good number of people who didn't realize it was coming out this weekend.

Well, it has a damn good chance of getting four consecutive $20M+ days though. I'm not sure any movie has managed that yet. ;)

I can just see though that if this estimate pans out, some people will immediately try to claim it's a massive flop. :p It would still be within the top-ten single days -- and if Spider-Man hadn't been such an aberration, within the top-five.

15. Knightstalker-

Aug 7, 2001
    Hey 27 mill is a damn good start. Don't forget it opened in a lot less theatres this times as well.

16. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    All the non-SW fans I've talked to want to see it but they all say the same thing "I'll wait till it dies down a bit." That's why I think SW will beat out Spidey in the long run. Almost everyone that was gonna see it, saw Spidey in the first two weeks. With SW, people for some reason usually wait to see it. Plus, no Spidey fanboy is gonna see it 9 times like some of the people on this forum are seeing AOTC.

17. KeithFranklin

Jul 22, 1998
    Knightstalker...

TPM opened on 2970 theaters 5000 screens
    AOTC opened on 3161 theaters 6000 screens

18. Knightstalker-

Aug 7, 2001
    I'll take your word for that.

19. GrandMoffMoff

GrandMoffMoff Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2002
    I wouldn't be surprised if it falls a little short of TPM. I saw TPM at the midnight screening on the second day and the line was around the block. The theater was packed.

Last night, I went to the 10:15 pm screening, 2 hours earlier on the same day of release as TPM and the theater was maybe half full. The kicker, I saw it at a much smaller theater. There were no other screenings in a 10 mile radius of where I saw it last night, so I can't rack it up to there being more screenings in the area.

20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Folks, AOTC is just not good enough. It's not going to come near TPM's total. Spiderman, however, is not going to do it either. It's dropped pretty quickly throughout the week from last week's totals. I now believe it will be down more than 50% from last weekend.

AOTC is going to struggle to make $300 million U.S.

21. Dr_Yodave

Dr_Yodave Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    I gotta disagree with that. TPM made more money because people were waiting so long for a new SW movie. Nobody wanted to believe what the critics were saying at that time. A lot of people were not as excited for AOTC due to a SW movie 3 yrs ago and the disappointment from TPM. It has nothing to do with the quality of the movie. In the long run, this movie has much better word of mouth and should do very well in at the box office. Maybe close to $400 mill, although it may not break it.

22. Covenant

Covenant Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2002
    Once again out of control expectation is going to be revealed. AOTC will be considered a failure for not breaking 30 mil opening day. TPM was a dissapointment to most so many people will not be running out to see AOTG right away. But word of mouth will give it a long life in my mind. The media will roast AOTC even though it still made 27 million dollars in one day, and my guess is it will stay around that through Saturday. Spider-man was an abberation just as Titanic was, but unfortunately it came out around the same time as Star Wars so the press will compare compare compare. But we are all responsible for that. We love conflict so the press creates conflict where there is none because we buy into it.

23. HBMC_Kloon

HBMC_Kloon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2002
    Yes, word of mouth will be AOTC's saving grace, as people tell their friends that it's really good and so on and so forth.

I don't care about Spidey, really. I'm not a fan.

But if AOTC doesn't break all records it won't surprise me, look at ESB and ROTJ, they didn't make huge amazing amounts compared to ANH, and ESB was better than ANH.

BYE

24. Boromir19

Boromir19 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 12, 2001
    27 million US is disappointing, but I liked the movie a lot so I'm happy.

Anyway, if it gets to $350 million, then that's pretty damn good. The 16 years and incredible media hype around TPM guaranteed its financial success.

I'd put my money on AOTC over Spiderman for overall gross this year any day of the week.

25. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    I WAS expecting something over $30 mill for thursday. i hope final take will be that.

iam sure it will make about 70-90 mill from fri-sunday. so first 4 days will be well over 100 million.

it will be fun for me watching AOTC day to day take. and comparing it to TPM,HP,LOTR & SPIDEY.

i am hoping aotc tops $350mill for the summer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.