main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official Autograph Cost Complaint Thread**

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by Lost in Coruscant, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skywalker8

skywalker8 Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 1998
    I'm going to make a prediction. Some of you will think I'm just trying to rain on your parade, but I'm not. Trust me, I want this to work more than anything... but it just doesn't look feasable. Plus, maybe by expressing my doubts here, I will save some of you from the terrible disappointment of coming home from CII without Carrie or Hayden's autograph.
    So, okay, here's what I predict:

The autographs at Celebration 2 will be a disaster.

That's my prediction. Now, first let me also state that I only believe this to be the case for certain celebrities only. First of all, the lines for Carrie and Billy Dee will be too long. At only $12 a pop, everyone will want to get their autograph and meet Carrie and Billy Dee. There is simply not enough time for everyone to have their turn. On the one hand, you can still get their signature without waiting by reserving at a charge of $1 extra, but that means you a) won't get to meet the guest and b) your autograph won't be personalized. I won't mind standing in line for 4 hours to meet the new Anakin and have my picture taken with him and get his signature, but lines aren't endless. They get cut off and closed. Only so many people can be in a line at an event like this.
    Secondly, C2V and WOTC haven't mentioned whether Episode II-related talent like Hayden Christensen and Joel Edgerton will be signing as a part of the autograph area. The press releases and website updates have been a little sketchy on this information. So, don't be too disappointed when you find out that you won't be able to buy their sigs - I hereby have warned you that this is a distinct possibility.
    The lines for the convention 'regulars' likely won't be that long, so you'll at least have the chance to see them.

Please don't slam me for posting this. I think that I have a valid point, and that the idea of the autographs going smoothly is wishful thinking. All I wish for you is not to be bitter if you didn't get to meet Hayden, Carrie, Billy Dee, etc.

If C2V is reading this, pleeeeaaaasssseeee tell me otherwise.

2. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    You could be right, but I hope not. I just really want CF.

3. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    I'd like to add to that prediction by stating that ebay will get flooded that weekend with autographed photos and the special autographed copies (I think WOTC said they'd have the Celebration II logo on them and would be exclusive) at at least 4 times what they were sold for. People (not fans mind you) will be buying up several copies of those books they mentioned and willing be selling them on ebay at a huge markup. But there is one thing we can do to stop them. Tell everyone you know (and I mean EVERYONE) not to buy them from anywhere else except CII. Yeah, I know, not likely to happen, but we can try.

Stuff like this can be stopped, but it takes work, both on the part of the fans and on WOTC.

4. MarinBoy

MarinBoy Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2002
    The cost of stardom does not equate to the high cost of the autographs and pictures associated with Star Wars. Coming from marin county I have perhaps been spoiled in my oppurtunities to interact and see famous people, however it has been this close proximity to the rich and famous that has taught me that fame cannot be correlated to a price for a signature. Collectors of both SW's archival goods and or any other type of collectable know that collecting can be addictive, but rewarding. However it is my opinion that history cannot be purchased. Despite the availability of signatures and collectibles on Ebay sold to high bidders, a signature that is personalized and made through a chance meeting with a mentor, actor or heroe can be of much greater value. Conventions take the fun out of seeking signatures. It is the chance meeting that is more memorable than a setting in which, under obligation Christopher Daniels or Hayden Christensen signs memrobilia for the star crazed fan.
    The greatest action that a Convention can convey is a sense of unity between its members. I do not feel however that there should be a significant charge for the right of passage into such an event, $75. Despite the claims of the nashvillian, that kids should stop complaing about the costs of events, it is not right for one man (or many) to feel it necessary to segregate events catered towards the diehard, richer collectors. It is true that there are certain fees that must be paid to both the facilities, the actors, and the managers of such events, but in the spirit of fan clubs and the ideas inherent in collecting for the pure love of Star Wars that should be valued rather than punished with ridiculous charges to the general public.
    The local economy will prosper from the SWII convention, but jacking up prices and charging $120 for 10 signatures is not an appropriate answer to the fan. It would seem important that higher costs be imposed on the buyers whom come to the events with the intent to sell the merchandise at high prices. Limiting the number of signatures or allotment of goods would insure that only small amounts of Star Wars merchandise could be sold at outrageous prices. The properties associated with supply and demand would suggest that consumers would be willing to pay exhorbetant fees for exclusive SW convention merchandise, but that is no excuse for the high fees associated with the convention; avarice rules the world. George Lucas is a rich man and so are all the actors involved with any of the Star Wars movies. They can afford to show their fans that they too support Star Wars, but perhaps at a smaller price. Of course the event will not and can not be free, but just that fact that the convention is in one town already puts many fans out of its reach. For those that have enough to go, their pilgrimage should be enough proof of their devotion to the legacy of Star Wars, but thats just my opinion on things.

5. JMChladek

JMChladek Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    Well, lets see. The $75 dollars helps cover the convention center, security, guests, hotel rooms for guests, airfare for guests, food, insurance, exhibits, insurance for exhibits, persons who get paid to put this on, such as security etc. etc. etc.. Considering the list for guests is now at 31 and climbing still, I think the $75 to get in the door for three days is turning into a bargain. Especially since some of the guests aren't planning to sign any autographs, so in a sense that $75 is helping to bring them to the show.

Okay, yes you have to pay for autographs, but frankly that is going to happen at most any convention these days and $12 to $15 per autograph is very reasonable when it tends to go for at least $15 to $25 at other shows depending on the guests and in some cases even higher. And frankly, at least for me, the fact that I have to pay for an autograph doesn't diminish the experience of meeting my favorite guest at all. Most of the autographs I want will be personalized and a couple interrelate with past shows anyway (such as 8x10s of a couple prized pictures snapped at past shows). I might have one item signed for collectibility, but it won't be for sale until probably long after I'm dead anyway. As LadySith said, for a lot of these guys, this is their payment for expenses (depending on the show) and supplimentary income.

Okay, yes I see how it would have been nice if costs were lower, but this isn't Utopia people and frankly, the cost is very reasonable when compared with other shows. I don't intend this in the wrong way since there are some valid points that have been expressed in this thread. But at this late date, the comments are starting to sound a little like sour grapes.

If you can come and might not want to spend a lot on autographs, then don't. Spend wisely. I admire a person who is willing to save a little as opposed to throwing caution to the wind. I would say that if you plan to hit other conventions later, then only go for autographs from people who you figure won't be at any other show. And get that autograph because you really want it, not just because you think it will be worth something some day. Its only worth something if you can sell it for that and by that time, its no longer yours to have.

6. blackfire2015

blackfire2015 Jedi Master

Mar 28, 2002
    I must say, I think the prices being charged are real bargains. I just went to the big Trek con in Pasadena in March and just to get in the door for one day was $35 dollars. When it comes to autographs, minimum was $20 for a bunch of out of work actors. More if it was a star of one of the shows. Shatner was $60 and Richardo Montalban was $50. I'll take $75.00 for three days and $12 for an autograph any day.

7. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    Interesting note about autographs from http://www.autographcentral.com/wattographs/.

If you aren't attending CII you can order the autographed pictures and they'll pick them up for you and ship them. Cost = $18 each or $15 each for 10 or more. (shipping $5 per order including insurance & delivery confirmation)

Huummmm....

Carolyn

8. skywalker8

skywalker8 Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 1998
    <sarcasm>I *fondly* remember Wattographs. That name always sounded so familiar...</sarcasm>

It's nice that non-attendees will be able to get their autographs, but shouldn't this be handled by WOTC or at least in accordance with them? Maybe Watto is, but the site doesn't look like it.

9. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    As for the $75, I don't have a single problem with it. How much would you have to spend to go to multiple conventions to meet this many people, and get to see this many dealers, whereas here you can get it all in one place. Plus, the $75 pays for security, which I really want to have around. I don't think Star Wars fans are trouble makers at all, but if they are, or if people who aren't fans make trouble, it's nice to know there's someone else around for it. Plus it pays for the rental space, which is probably a very nice facility in a convenient place to hotels, and it pays for the staff that have to clean up all the garbage that this thing is going to generate. How much of a mess is a group of 30,000 people going to make? That takes people. Plus electricity, fire codes, advertising, organizers. It gets up there in a hurry. And this isn't once a year GenCon, this Celebration II, not XX. And chances are there may be only one more after this.

As for the autographs, most of these people don't make a lot of money for their work. You really think General Veers bought a house in Beverly Hills for his four lines of dialogue? I doubt it. To me this is like the saxophone player that plays on one song on one album, where he probably makes $5000. But, he goes on tour with the group and he makes money. As for the bigger stars, I think getting Carrie Fisher or Billy Dee Williams' autograph for $12 or $15 is a bargain.

10. Princess-Leah

Princess-Leah Sketch Card Artist star 5 VIP

Jun 12, 2001
    It IS a bargain. The last time I saw Carrie Fisher at a convention was in 1984 and she WASN'T signing autographs then...that convention was held in Anaheim, CA and the cost for the weekend was $65-$85 (did I mention that was in 1984?). Conventions are not cheap now...they haven't been cheap in years. The demand for slicker presentations has made costs higher. (Plus the Indianpolis convention center had a recent renovation that cost $43 million...they do have to pass that cost on. Add to that what other people have mentioned of the care/feeding/housing/payment of the stars...and "security" (I'm sure they've had to beef up security in light of events last year) in comparison to Denver)
    The autographs are a bargain too just like many others on this forum have mentioned...in comparison for what they go for normally.

*****Same kind of event in sports?
    National Sports Collectors Convention
    $89 for the event
    Autographs depending upon the player and their status anywhere from $20 to $100 EACH

40 Celebrity Athletes Signing Autographs!!
    900 Exhibitors - Selling-Buying-Trading- All Sports/NonSport Collectibles!!
    Loads of Corporate Sponsors Displaying New Products and Promos!!
    Muhammad Ali - Jim Brown - Joe Namath - Hank Aaron - Magic Johnson - Willie Mays - Tom Seaver - Tim Couch - Kurt Warner - Franco Harris - Joe Frazier - Steve Carlton - Bill Mazeroski - Bob Feller - Bob Gibson - Lou Brock, etc.*****

I'm sure many people are driving to the convention...but,for some of us the event is far away and much more difficult to just get up and go, so we are flying in. We feel that it is a special and a unique event and is worthy of the extra costs.

I'm just glad I'm going...for an event that may not have another like it EVER (with the possible exception of Celebration III) these people will NEVER be gathered all in one place all at the same time again (again with a possible exception in Cel III).

living in SoCal gives me access (like Marinboy) to stars on a regular basis...but, I am not jaded about what is happening and who is going to be there and just because I may have seen many of the Star Wars stars before but that fact doesn't lessen their value to me, they were a part of something that made me very happy...I'll be happy if I just come home with great pics of all of them and some pretty great memories.

It looks as if some people have just SEEN it all and KNOW it all so nothing is special to them. For me the 4 days preceding the convention will be spent visiting family I haven't seen in 32 years and touring family historical sites and other attractions...I am MORE thankful that I am able to combine the two events to make for one fully memorable week.

Again...I'm thankful that I'm going and consider it a bargain...I guess I value things in life more than some...too bad for them.

11. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    I really want to go too, but with paying for the tickets and stuff, I have enough money left for about one autograph...assuming I don't eat or buy anything there (exaggerating a bit, but not much).
    This is rediculous!!!

-Princess Moose Helene

12. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    This is now the offical autograph complaint thread.

13. FiorCara

FiorCara Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2001
    AAAAAARGH!

Damnit, you have to use a coupon for BOTH! Some of you may recall an earlier post of mine (you probably don't, lots of people here! *L*) but I have a SW book that I'm trying to get Star Wars Celebs to sign. (I have 4 or 5 in there already.) Since this is Cel II and the pics are REALLY nice, I'd inquired around here if the actor might sign my book when I bought a picture. The general answer was "Probably, if you ask nice."

This is the general rule at most cons. But no, this is not how it will work. A coupon must be used for each signed pic, A coupon must be used for each signed item.

Who the heck would want auto's signed to me?! I do NOT have a common name! GAAAHHH.

It's not fair damnit.

Yes. I'm whining. Yes, I'm one of the aforementioned broke college students. Yes, I have about $400 to my name right now, of which my hotel expenses must come out of, and the freelance work I'm supposed to be doing looks like it might fall through. Yes, I'm STILL waiting on Wizards to ship my my replacement pass since the first was stolen in the mail.

So I'm venting a bit.

~Caleigh

14. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Can someone rationally explain to me the appeal of an autograph? It's just a person's signiture. Think About It.

15. tionnesharp

tionnesharp Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    I've no complaints. A friend of mine bought a sig of Billy Dee's for $35 last year. $12? What a deal!

16. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    My only complaint is that people are completely over-emphasizing autographs to the point that they're getting upset if an actor doesn't make themselves available to sign stuff....I'm just happy they are coming. There's going to be so much to do at C2...the idea of wasting your time standing in line to meet a celeb is becoming less and less apealing to me. Sure it would be neat, but it's definately not my focus for the weekend.

17. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    To clarify some of my prior posts, I'm not complaining about autographs, I guess I'm a little cost concerned. To illustrate my point about cons not charging for sigs...I received a promo for an upcoming con in Atlanta, Vulkon. Yeah, it's mainly Trek, but they have been around for about 15 or so years doing cons. Their main guests are signing autographs as part of the show. The only thing you pay is for a picture if you want it ($6). But they'll sign anything. The guests are Jimmy "Scotty" Doohan and Bruce Boxlietner from Bablyon 5. Anyhow, I just thought that was interesting. Everyone keeps saying that ALL conventions charge now. But they don't. I'm not an autograph hound really. Honestly, I'm just frustrated that Wizard's hasn't announced a schedule of activities yet. And seeing that the concert and Starfighter exhibit are separate fees from the con...I just start wondering "okay, what does my $75 dollars cover?" Usually when stars do charge for sigs, it's because they are paying part of their way and need to recoup their fees. And I understand that. So please let me say that I am NOT complaining...just curious/anxious/concerned.

And with this...I hope we can close this thread out. It's getting old having people tell you the same thing again and again. Especially when folks start getting defensive and insulting.

18. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    I'm going to leave this open just to give people a place to vent...I'd prefer they do so here rather than the other thread. I haven't gone thru and re-read all these posts, but if someone has been insulting (ie flaming) then let me know and they will be dealt with....I'm not as forgiving as the Emperor.

Anyhow, vent away...it's healthier than keeping it in anyway. ;)

19. ElegantWeapon

ElegantWeapon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2001
    Does anyone know if Savlatore will be availble to sign my book?
    If he isn't then that sucks! (there that's my complaint)

Also has it been mentioned that people in line for autographs will NOT be able to get a personal picture with the celeb. (ie someone takes a picture of you w/ them w/ your camera)

I personally think that's REALLY lame.

Does anyone know if there'll be an opportunity to pose w/ your favorite star?

20. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Don't know about pictures, but the authors will be at the publishers' tables, and from what I've heard, will be signing things for free. Nothing has been officially posted though.

21. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    The fan club is supposed to have photo ops with several actors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.