main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [OOTS]You suck, Monty

Discussion in 'Community' started by Quixotic-Sith, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    We have the pride, though no doubt he/she'll try to rationalize it later. The point is there was another option that could have been taken. While it would have cost V a level (and possibly cost him/her a spell level), it would have put an even more powerful wizard in place to defeat the dragon, and quite possibly save the family. Instead, we see the beginning of the fall.

2. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Personally I don't count hir out yet just. Granted, there's time enough for me to be proven wrong, but we'll see what V does with it now that the plunge has been taken, so to speak.

What can I say, I'm an optimist.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I am torn on this as to what I want to happen. One part of me says V should fall but only to rise again to a better place. That kind of character loop is fun. Another says take the sacred cows and kill them off every so often.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    #635 I see a red robe and I want it painted black

Awesome last panel warning. "Bunkus! Nonsuch! Gibberos! Gobbleygoose!"

The forums were shut down due to high traffic. I wonder if those symbols on the evil circle thing mean anything. They look like Zodiac Sign symbology.

5. Vincent-Kenobi

Vincent-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 4, 2008
    This will go horribly wrong within the next 100 updates.

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    According to the forums there the runes on the circle are a crypograph that says:

B E T
    Y O U
    T H O U G H T
    Y O U
    H A D
    F O U N D
    A
    S E C R E T
    M E S S A G E
    I N
    T H I S
    D I D N ' T
    Y O U

7. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Awesome. It's almost as much fun as the alien languages in Futurama.

8. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    I hadn't thought to look at the gliphs. That's awesome.

Rich Burlew rocks.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

Mage?s Disjunction
    Abjuration

Level: Magic 9, Sor/Wiz 9

Components: V

Casting Time: 1 standard action

Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

Area: All magical effects and magic items within a 40-ft.-radius burst

Duration: Instantaneous

Saving Throw: Will negates (object)

Spell Resistance: No
    All magical effects and magic items within the radius of the spell, except for those that you carry or touch, are disjoined. That is, spells and spell-like effects are separated into their individual components (ending the effect as a dispel magic spell does), and each permanent magic item must make a successful Will save or be turned into a normal item. An item in a creature?s possession uses its own Will save bonus or its possessor?s Will save bonus, whichever is higher.

You also have a 1% chance per caster level of destroying an antimagic field. If the antimagic field survives the disjunction, no items within it are disjoined.

Even artifacts are subject to disjunction, though there is only a 1% chance per caster level of actually affecting such powerful items. Additionally, if an artifact is destroyed, you must make a DC 25 Will save or permanently lose all spellcasting abilities. (These abilities cannot be recovered by mortal magic, not even miracle or wish.)

Note: Destroying artifacts is a dangerous business, and it is 95% likely to attract the attention of some powerful being who has an interest in or connection with the device.

Note that a Quickened Disintegrate requires a 10th level spell slot, and if you Quicken FEAT anything you are going to follow it up with another spell right off. Disintegrate depending on the source; some you must put the target down to 0 Hit Points and then they are vaporized, or the target fails either a Saving Throw or you just get by their Spell Resistance.

So, does the dragon survive? Have something up its sleeve? How will evil spliced V be accepted by his/her family?

"Your doom is here."

"Your doom is here."

"Your doom is here."

10. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    V looks *way* cooler now that s/he's evil.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I do like the pose and look in the last panel with the two insert panels. In reading the forums there are a couple of things I did not notice.

1. The mate is nailed to the tree.

2. Notie the green splotches. That's not grass. Black Dragons spit acid as indicated by the green mist coming out of its face. So there hosue is half gone in the first panel. In the last panel there is no house but a puddle of green. Is dissolved during the course of the comic. :cool:

12. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    "???"

Her expression was awesome too.

Now the fallout.

13. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    The Disjunction was a bit of as gamble, but given V's effective character level (a 15th level caster and 3 epics rolled into one gotta by something absolutely ridiculous like in the 40s of something) , not much of one. It also does give the dragon time enough to realize she might be in a little bit of trouble...which is precisely the point. :p

As far as the Disinegrate? Not sure. We'll know more in the next comic.

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    An epic level caster is 20+, so V's Stickworld-level is probably 75+. So a very good chance of that working.

I also like the personal touch of using Disintegrate, since V seems to like that spell, instead of something like Finger of Death (which I would assume that UberNecro would be very efficient with.) I would have liked to see a Time Stop though. :p

15. BENSKYWAKER

BENSKYWAKER Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    I love OOTS [face_love]

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Well not only does V seem to like the Disintegrate spell but she sued it on the younger dragon and previously on this dragon, the latter was a fail. So it is sort of an ego thing to use it again. I think the 3 evil wizards splice must be an addition of levels rather than some kind of overlap. So if the 3 are 25 levels a piece then V has over 75 levels which makes for a 75% chance of knockng down the anti-magic field.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    #637 it only shows reality programming

The title refers to the blood plasma screen they use to watch the fight.

"I wanted you to experience what it felt like for your baby when I shredded him into a trillion lifeless specks of ash."

Torture/taunting the dragon. The fiends are great btw. I don't know what sort of traffic the web site gets but whenever I read a new comic I try to go to the forums to read the updated issue thread and today it is closed due to high traffic which happens alot. I mean, either he needs a new server or else the Earth is reading his comic.

18. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    He always complains about the server. Half the time I get barebones pages when I do try and look at the forums.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I used to notice lil things like this, I must be getting slow:

"...a succubus that has been working under Lee..."

"She has been keeping me abreast of...."

Naughty talk.

I am wondering now if in his/her new evil form if V will become the cause of her family's death in some way. Perhaps via colateral damage from this battle, perhaps they survive the fight but spurn the evil V and V strieks them down.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    A Dragon's Victory #638

Spoilers:

WHOA! Ok so th elast panel features one of my favorite spells, Shapechange. Far superior than polymorph where you just take the form, with this spell you get the STUFF. Also it is a long duration spell you can use every round. (See link below) Now, what will happen with the family? "I'm not...sure."

Ok, so incredible and satifying. Here is the link: Wizard's duel, Sword in the Stone, what using Shapechange looks like.

22. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    I like the usual duplicity and double meaning in the strip title, too.

And hey, if you're gonna win, do it in grand and undoubtable style.

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    If they pull a knife...

And that, kids, is what an epic spell looks like. At least the little bunny rabbit was saved.

Not once Does V look at the family.

Is ridding the world of a family tree worth of evil really and evil act?

Note: A picture of the OOTS planet from space, you can see off to the left where this battle was taking place.

I have a feeling V will be rejected by the family. The trick now will be if V decides to keep the 3 evil wizards within. Note: "one of my new friends..."

24. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    Damn, V.

Just...

Damn.

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It is being pointed out on the OOTS boards that the goddess of evil dragons, Tiamat, might not like this action.

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/d20npcs/images/thumb/4/4b/Tiamat.jpg/300px-Tiamat.jpg]

The Oracle, who predicted all of this of course, gets his powers from Tiamat. Tiamat is one of those things you find out about quickly when getting into D&D for the first time. She is prehaps the most famous of all D&D monsters. In previous editions she was simply the most powerful of evil dragons but grew to godhood in subsequent editions.

Tiamat

While I am at it one of my fav bits of D&D art:

[image=http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/KnifeToTheSoul/addimg1.jpg]

That would be a scene from Dragonlance where they name Tiamat "Takhis".