main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph orange is the new black

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's only been inferred. Hell, there hasn't actually been an official announcement that Prepon is leaving. Considering that the character was central to season 1, it doesn't follow that she would only get one episode in season 2 before leaving/getting killed/whatever happens.

2. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Dang. I'm unhappy she's leaving as it's not just Piper's present that Alex affects. but she's also a huge part of her past and now no Alex in Piper's flashbacks. As tot how she exits so quickly, I'm betting she takes the blame for Piper beating the $#@% out of Pennsatucky. After all, Pennsatucky would be just as happy to get rid of Alex as Piper and it's not like the only witness is going to contradict that.

3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Wow.

PRENNTACULAR and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, that's a broad statement, and usually I don't like when people give reasons like "I don't like boxing movies" for not wanting to watch Raging Bull or The Fighter, but I didn't feel like elaborating. I actually watched the show, and that was one of several reasons I wasn't into it.
    I noticed that in the first episode (but not with a "retro feeling"). I also noticed it in early episodes of Weeds. Where did Nancy go to get her drugs? Oh that's where, and how were their personalities? Ah, I see. Unfortunately these days, that gets heralded as real and provocative.

5. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Because it is real. You want to disagree? Go move to CA and get involved in the drug scene there. That's exactly how people look/are/act. Sorry to burst your bubble of equality drug culture.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah... if any character was unrealistic in Weeds, it was Nancy.

EvilQ and Sith-Lord-Gunray like this.
  7. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i need to watch weeds

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You'd love it, Prenn.

9. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Weeds had a few really great seasons to begin with, then it went downhill, then the final season redeemed itself. Really awesome ending to the show + glad I stuck with it. It's really good for what it is.

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Andy Botwin is one of my all time favorite tv characters.

Seasons one through three were great. Season four declined in quality, but it was still good. Seasons five and six also declined, but were still watchable. season seven was probably my least favorite, but by that point I was loyal to the show and I'm glad I stuck with it. I agree that the show redeemed itself in season eight. I liked the way it ended, but my only complaint is they should have brought Celia back, or at least given an update.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Sebulba-X likes this.
  13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm two and a half episodes in. I actually re-watched the 1st episode in order to show my GF the show and she's in as well. I'm liking it so far and I definitely plan on finishing it off. I'll be back with my thoughts. :)

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I enjoyed the first season and we finished it in 3 days. Now I'm with you guys and I can't wait until June!

I was wondering how much time has passed in the show? She goes into jail in September? and the season ends in December. I wonder if season 2 will be another four months and then season 3 will be the rest of her time. What do you guys think?

Concerning Laura Prepon's departure, I wonder if her character Alex will take the blame for Pennsyltucky and be thrown in SHU for the remainder of the season.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    apparently that was all much ado about nothing, as she's now going to appear in most of season 2 and is in talks for season 3. it's mentioned a couple posts above yours.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I didn't know Lauren Lapkus was in this until just the other day. She's one of the funniest comedians around today.

17. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I love this show. It is pure greatness in a kind of much lesser way than Breaking Bad.

As I was saying in the other thread that Diggy so rudely interrupted, my incarcerated friend has some explaining to do. Prison looks like a helluva lot of fun.

harpua likes this.
  18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
  19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Nice.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Season one ended in such a cliffhanger way. I've read that Piper wont be as much of the show's focus--other characters will be highlighted more. I look forward to Crazy Eyes' story. I ****ing love her. :p

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    me too. Crazy Eyes' heartbreak at the radio interview almost made me cry. Incredibly soulful. Not that I believe in souls, mind you, but if I did, my soul would have been melted into a mournful gooey puddle after that scene.

21. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    On a recommendation, I ended up watching the first episode of Orange is the New Black, not sure that I would like it. Much to my surprise, I loved it, and then promptly watched the rest of the series - excellent & addictive. This is definitely one of the best TV series I've ever seen, and IMHO really shows that Netflix is a great contendor & competitor for other network TV/cable stations re: their original programming. In fact, if Netflix & similar services can continue to offer original programming of this quality, at some point down the road will TV stations even be necessary?!

Re: the series itself, enjoyed the storyline & the unglamorous look at a w.'s prison. I had an issue with watching HBO's Oz years ago since it was way too disturbing for me (I only caught 1-2 episodes of that show), but this series is a lot more palatable. The flashbacks are, to me, some of the most interesting elements of the series. It's interesting to see what these women did to get where they are, and I hope that they continue this background in the second season. Despite the drab prison garb, Laura P. is still gorgeous - possibly even more so than she was on That '70's show. That husky voice really does it for me ;) I also liked the woman with the NY/NJ accent...

Note there are SPOILERS below to those who haven't seen the entire first season yet - I have not yet learned how to put spoilers in the text on this forum:

One of the most poignant characters is Miss Claudette; though she puts on a tough face, I was very moved when she was looking forward to seeing her friend Batiste & when she thought she may get an appeal re: her sentence. When that appeal was rejected, you really felt for her. Re: the flashback detailing her past & why she was there, you know that even though what she did was wrong, she was just looking out for the young women that worked for her service. It was obvious she was protective of them & cared about them, which is what got her in trouble.

Even though the show is somewhat advertised as a comedy, I found very little humor... being forced to be locked up with a group of dangerous, unstable, and in many cases insane women (most of whom you would go out of your way to avoid on the outside) is quite horrific. The crazy, hypocritical religious freak was quite scary, and the final scene in the last episode when Piper was forced to beat the crap out of her was quite harrowing.

I wasn't surprised that the power structure at the facility (guards, administrators, etc.) were at best incompetent & petty, and at worst corrupt. Mendez is a good example of a true P.O.S. that hides behind his position & does almost whatever he wants...I'm sure this is probably exactly what goes on in institutions like this...Healy is also a real scumbag, though in a different way than Mendez

I recently got the book/memoir Orange is the New Black; I plan on reading this soon, though it will probably ruin what's going to happen in the second season...

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It shouldn't ruin it too much. The show is very loosely based on the book. For starters, Piper Kerman's ex wasn't in prison with her.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Season two is on, man!

24. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Will watch this weekend when works done...cannot wait.

25. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004