main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OS announces return of OT character

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Jedi_Master201, Apr 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Horry Crow, that's a lot of information for the OS to release. *shocked*

I love Chewie, but I have to admit I'm not pleased with him being in Episode III. I LIKE the fact Han & Chewie were just random elements who got caught up in Luke's life; I seriously hope there isn't going to be a young Han Solo/Chewie miniplot. I'm sure if anybody could do it, it's Lucas (it is his story and all), but I really would prefer it be a smaller movie with the focus on the three mains we've seen so far (Obi, Ani, Padme), since the most drastic changes happen to them.

Hopefully if we see Chewie, it'll just be a little cameo.

2. Independence

Independence Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2003
    I think chewie's role in the movie will be fairly short.

The wookies were captured as slaves by the empire to build the death star (which plans we saw in Ep2).
    This is is no guess, it's written in some of the StarWars novels like DarkSaber.

I think we might see chewie as just a slave for the empire, or we could see the empire capture the wookies or something...

3. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    I would have preferred not to know about Chewies return but unfortuneatly I set my homepage to Yahoo and low and behold, there it was on the front page.

ah well. lifes a b!tch :)

4. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Well, I have been trying to stay spoiler free, but reading this news gave me that familiar STAR WARS tingle I always feel whenever some juicy tidbit is revealed.

As for making the STAR WARS universe seem too small, I don't buy that. First of all, the story is centered around less than half-a-dozen people, so of course their paths are going to intersect.

Secondly, anybody who has watched old movie seriels should be familiar with coincidences like this, and since STAR WARS is an elaborate homage to these cinematic classics, it seems perfectly within its character to have paths cross like this.

5. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    This is is no guess, it's written in some of the StarWars novels like DarkSaber.

Lucas contradicts the EU when he wants to, though. (Two words, y'all: Jaster. Mereel.)

As for making the STAR WARS universe seem too small, I don't buy that. First of all, the story is centered around less than half-a-dozen people, so of course their paths are going to intersect.

For many of the relationships, I would agree with you. But I don't like how it affects ANH; rather than Luke & Ben being picked up by a charming smuggler & his wooly co-pilot, it becomes Luke & Ben being picked up by those guys we just saw in Episode III. Kinda takes the ...atmosphere? (can't think of the right word for it, exactly) out of things.

6. akamu2

akamu2 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 11, 2003
    Y'know...I've been reading the last 5 pages of the spoiler/non-spoiler debate, and I admit, I was a bit bummed when I read "Qui-Gonn's Funeral" on the E1 soundtrack before I saw the movie, but it was nothing I couldn't have figured out from seeing Ewan screaming, "Noooooo!" in the trailer. I was amusededly perturbed when I was glancing thru the Star Wars Episode 2 Visual Dictionary and saw a picture of Anakin's mechanical hand and learned he was going to be maimed before I went and saw it.
    The point is, I could not know a damn thing about what surprises or groans GL has in store for us, or I could know the whole plot, in its entirety, and I honestly think I'd still be okay. Because the second the lights go down in the theatre, (and after the 12 trailers and LA Times Calendar ads), I will be watching a Star Wars movie. Period. And I'll be happy. I can sympathize with wanting to be spoiler free, but try as you might, in this day and age, something's gonna spoil it for you somehow.
    And this whole PT/OT separation of church and state...sheesh. I can understand how we all dread GL going overboard with the cameos that are about as subtle as the "Hey Kids! It's Mark Hamil!" In Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back, but the way some make it sound like the two trilogies are utterly and completely different just makes me scratch my head (that and dandruff). The Chewbacca Connection has not and will not spoil the fact that I'm going to see a Star Wars movie in a dark theatre on a huge screen a couple years from now.

Unless he's computer generated!

7. ObiWanAragorn

ObiWanAragorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2003
    Hear hear, akumu2!

8. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    i'll tell ya what would be good..

you know how they made a boba fett making of ep II thing?
    imagine a making of ep III form the official site about chewbacca!

9. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    I am soooo excited about Chewie! I can't friggin' wait now!!

In fact, I've already thought of a title for EP3:

"STAR WARS EPISODE 3: HERE COMES CHEWBACCA!"

or, alternativley:

"STAR WARS EPISODE 3: GET READY FOR CHEWBACCA!"

Ahhhhhhhh.....Chewie good....*drool*

EAT KRISPY KREME'S, y'all! :)

10. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Watching the episode 4-6 then 1-3, anything could be construed as contrived.
    But watching them 1-6 and this fixes the problem ten fold.

What's so 'contrived' about a boy with exceptional mechanical skills building a droid? Later, when he visits the planet again, he picks up the droid? For all we know, his winding up with Leia will make perfect sense.

What's so contrived about a bounty hunter being chosen for the source of clones? And should he want his own? And should his clone become a hunter himself?

I mean, really people. Watch RotJ first and then it might seem contrived that Obi-Wan just happened to be on the same planet as Luke. Way to go George :(
    But wait... it's not contrived at all because we saw ANH first and accepted it.

These movies work ten times as well when watched in order.

As for Chewie? We'll have to see how he plays out.

11. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    Very good point Droid! :)

12. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I think the main characters of Episode 3 will be ( in order of importance)

Chewie
    Yoda
    Anakin
    Obi-Wan
    Mace

13. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    I was a little bit disappointed when I read the Chewbacca thing here. Alas, I would have been "spoiled" anyway because it was mentioned in Time magazine. Chewbacca was pictured.

I hope he's only the second most important character in the film.

14. Obi-Bob

Obi-Bob Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 1999
    I started a thread suggesting this idea before the content took a bizare turn and the thread was closed for different policy concerns. However...

It occurred to me that during ANH Obi-Wan found Chewbacca in the Cantina pretty quickly, and he obviously was able to converse with him well enough to find out that he was co-pilot on a ship.

Perhaps Obi-Wan and Chewbacca knew-of eachother at that point. I'm not saying they were friends or went to war together, just that they may have run into eachother at some point.

Since we know Chewbacca is in E3, can we speculate that he and Obi-Wan share a little screen-time? The only flaw I see here is that on the Death Star Chewbacca obviously says something negative to Han about Obi-Wan, after which Han asks Luke where he "dug up that old fossil". But Chewbacca could have still known the guy but was frustrated that their "easy" transporting job took such a wrong turn.

I know a lot of you guys don't like all of the coincidences in Star Wars, and I'm one of you. But I think this ties the PT and OT together fairly well, establishing an awareness (not relationship) between a major PT character and a major OT character.

Also, I do not intend to focus mainly on the fact that Obi-Wan can understand Chewbacca, since most people seem to be able to. I a just suggesting that Obi-Wan and Chewbacca are aware of each other since they hooked up rather quickly in the Cantina.

15. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Seeing Chewie will be pretty cool. I imagine he won't be seeing C3PO, R2, or Obi-Wan. Which means he'll likely have some involvment with Padme, Anakin or Jar Jar. I didn't read all 5 pages, so in case someone already suggested it I didn't mean to copy, but maybe he'll save Anakin's life at some point. Then in ESB when Vader stops the Stormtroopers shooting Chewie, he is repaying the debt.

16. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Maybe he'll rip off Jar Jar's arms. That'd make the appearance worthwhile. 8-}

17. magneto

magneto Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    I'm not to keen on Chewie being there

18. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Obi-Wan and Chewie could be old friends.

"Chewbacca here is co-pilot of a ship that might suit us." If They work together in Episode 3, that line would sound like they were old friends. He nods to Chewie in the Falcon's smuggling cellars. Then he gets sliced apart.

19. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Considering the newest Chewie spoiler Which I will not reveal in this forum).... this argument could be relevant.. I do not have a problem with Chebacca knowing Obi-Wan either.... There are no scenes that imply that they were complete strangers in ANH.... what a lucky break George!!!

20. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    This was reported in Entertainment Weekly, and it's a quote from Lucas himself at the MTV Movie Awards, so it should qualify as official:

Yoda won a trophy for his Attack of the Clones' saber skills at the 2003 MTV Movie Awards - and now George Lucas says Chewbacca will join the fray with a "small part in one of the action sequences" of Episode III.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.