main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC OTC birth control pills?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Dec 27, 2012.

1. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    It used to be on the shelves here but now it's OTC and you have to give them your driver's license to track you and you can only buy a small amount without a prescription.

Re: archaic birth control, some women used lemon halves as cervical caps, which was helped by the fact that lemon juice is spermicidal. Science!

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Lemons?

My legs are now crossed thank you very much.

3. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Lemons!

Not half as disturbing as dung, or the origins of Lysol. There's a leg-crosser for you.

EmpireForever likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    If you abstained as God intended, Dani, you wouldn't have to worry.

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I've heard of the Lysol origins. I've never been able to look at a can of it in the same way again.

6. Jensaarai1219

Jensaarai1219 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    So this:
    Made me think of this:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...9485.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

7. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I think it should be cheap and easily accessed ([insert mother jokes here]) because the risk of blood clots is a serious issue with these drugs. If you don't know damn well whether your family has a history of or yourself are easily susceptable to them then it's going to cause problems. There are other factors such as ulcerative colitis, what your immune system is like, etc. while alcohol can easily screw you up, it really only happens on a superficial level. Unlike birth control which is overrides normal functioning hormones for the the newer, flashier model that doesn't get you pregnant.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    So, um bonobos?

9. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I support efforts to make BC pills more accessible, but I still think that for heath safety reasons it should remain prescription. There are serious potential side effects (albeit rare), and given all the different variations of pills (and reasons they can be prescribed), it's something that should be taken under a doctor's care.

Besides, if you make it OTC it won't be covered by most insurances anyway.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    The one thing that scared me about Yaz was the fact that normal women in their early 20s dying of a blood clot. Seriously, so not cool. And it was pretty common, healthy adult women taking this and dying. I mean really its one thing to have a reaction within say 72 hours but these women were on it for a while before getting a blood clot. I mean how could the FDA let this pass? You expect your kid to die from risky behaviour or an accident but not normal everyday medicine with no tell tale signs of distress? The FDA has no issues with letting bad drugs onto market and then letting the businesses pull them later for their bad decisions.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The simplest answer is to give all males free vasectomies by the age of 15. If by the age of 25 if they've proven to be responsible citizens, then the state will pay for an attempt at reversing the procedure. The failure rate of the reversal procedure will help control population growth.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, seriously.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yaz seems less about birth control and more about women who don't want to bleed every month. I'm not a doctor but I can't imagine that a pill that shuts down 2/3 of one's cycles is more effective birth control than a normal pill, which you stop for one week per month to have a period.

I hadn't heard about the blood clots but I'm not surprised either.

14. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    They are suing the makers of Yaz and Yazmin. I see the commercials for the lawyers suing them once in a while.

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I prefer this Yaz.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  17. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    1) You're confusing Yaz with Seasonale
    2) The only difference between Seasonale and a "normal pill" is that the normal pill contains a week of placebo pills, so that you bleed for that week and it feels~ more natural to people who are used to having a period. With Seasonale, you skip the placebo pills and go straight on to the next pack. Seasonale just packaged that more efficiently for stupid/lazy women.
    3) Even on a "normal" pill, you don't get a real period, you get withdrawal bleeding. The reason it's lighter and less crampy and all the things that doctors prescribe birth control to get rid of is because it isn't a real period.
    4) ugh where is my sister when I need her. zigazigahh!! PAGING!!!

zigazigahh likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ah, OK. My bad--I haven't used hormonal BC in years and am not up to date.

19. zigazigahh

zigazigahh Jedi Master star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    wut?

20. zigazigahh

Sep 2, 2012
    FWIW, I think hormonal birth control should be by prescription only because I think being under the care of a doctor in order to get birth control is important. Women need to take care of their reproductive health, especially if they're sexually active, and there are various different kinds, that all have benefits/downfalls to people with different medical issues.

But along with that, we shouldn't defund Planned Parenthood (RICK PERRY), we should make sure women have ACCESS to doctors so that they can get the prescription, and a person shouldn't be blocked from getting their medicine because the person behind the counter thinks it's immoral.

21. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Are you having trouble with reading comprehension?

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i have been cornvinced by this thread that this is probably a bad idea.

it also occurs to me that making birth control otc makes it that much easier to roll back/attack women's access to physicians in this country

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    That's a scary thought that I honestly hadn't considered until you wrote that. Even scarier is that you could be right about that.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. zigazigahh

Sep 2, 2012
    No, I guess you just made a lot of assumptions that left me a little stunned. I used hormonal birth control for the first two years of my marriage, when while we could have had a baby, we weren't ready to. The idea that you shouldn't have sex until you're committed to having a baby is kind of insane to me, and the idea that the only people who would use birth control is people who are having casual sex is pretty ridiculously inaccurate, too.

25. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I'm so glad you noticed.