main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Dark Senate Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mara_Jade_AZ, Jul 21, 2002.

1. QueenLaniAmidala

QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    ..up...because I want to see pics! :)

2. Fragilityfemme

Fragilityfemme Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I feel like adding in my two cents (or three, or four!) since I'm making an Elizabethan gown at the moment.

It looks like the dress is made of several different pieces:
    - The underskirt (gold)
    - The bodice (gold)
    - The overskirt (dark blue velvet)
    - A short "overbodice" or jacket with sleeves (dark blue velvet)
    - Undersleeves (purple shiny stuff)
    - Shawl on the back, sewed onto the jacket beneath the collar (lighter purple and black)

I'm using Margo Anderson's Historical Patterns, so that's who I'm referencing- and her patterns are *accurate*.

The bodice is a doublet-style bodice: high neck, and in this case it closes in back (probably with a zipper for Natalie's sake, though it would have been laced shut, historically). The bodice is most likely sleeveless, to ease bulk.

The underskirt is probably (for economy's sake) a forepart of the gold fabric, with the rest of the skirt being black or dark blue plain fabric. The forepart would need to be *extremely* stiff; I'm flatlining the forepart for my dress with bull denim. Heck, flatline it with cardboard if it'll keep the thing stiff! ;) This underskirt, by the way, is probably cartridge pleated to provide fullness.

The overskirt is also likely cartridge pleated, and stitched to a waistband (which would be reinforced with belt stiffener). In this case, the raw edges of the front part of the overskirt are folded under and back, to create a flat space for embroidery (this flat space is also likely flatlined or interfaced). Embroidery on velvet? That's why I'm not couture-quality, yet. (Yet!)

The "overbodice" looks as if it is not attached to the bodice, overskirt, and underskirt, except possibly at the waist. To cover up the fact that the overskirt and this piece aren't one piece of continuous fabric, "wings" would be stitched onto the overbodice- there's piping emerging from the shadows of Padme's arm, and that's likely the "wing" bottom. The jacket sleeves would have been tie-on, in period, and they might be here (and the purpose of the shawl may be to cover that up). Sleeves would tie on using lacing threaded through eyelets, or, if you're in a hurry, grommets.

Undersleeves- Opera gloves with the hands cut off? I have NO idea!

Shawl- The seamstress took two pieces of fabric and sewed one end of each onto the jacket/overbodice behind the collar, then frayed the other ends (like a scarf). Then, she tied them together at the small of Padme's back, possibly stitching the tied-together part to the dress. The rest, she let hang free. From over here the fabric itself looks like batik, but I'm probably wrong!

Christine

3. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Mara_Jade - did you finish your gown? This thread has been very quiet - but I was just looking for costume hints to post on my page for this costume since I have nothing and I was curious! I hope you did! I'd love to see pictures of it!

FragilityFemme and Ferd - I liked some of your insights on the costume and I'd like to post them..

Maggie

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Uppity up...

5. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Okay I'll post it here in response to LadyNaberrie's post:

The deleted Senate Gown is on my list of future projects - $$ pending.

I bought this Vogue pattern for use (with modifications) for the velvet overcoat part:

[image=http://sistersola.com/Extras/boards/Vogue2714-coatdress.jpg]

That's Vogue 2714

The front closure section would have to be cut away, and the collar modified a bit, but the overall shape and length of the coat is really good, and the sleeves are at a pretty good start too.

The McCall's 4028 pattern could be useful for the underdress, the mustard taffeta section.

6. LadyNaberrie

LadyNaberrie Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Thank you SisterSola! My mom and I are tackling this dress this summer in anticipation for Celebration III!! This is my first major costuming project. I have a picture of my Mara Jade costume in my profile...but thanks :)

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    That's great, LadyNaberrie! I've yet to see anyone in this costume. :)

8. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    as soon as I get it finished I will post pictures! :)

9. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    Anyone find any good fabrics for this dress???

10. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    I haven't started looking for fabrics on this one yet.

11. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    At Jedi-Con this weekend I saw a fanversion of this dress, it was gourgeous. I'll see if I can dig up some photos as soon as they find their way to the net.

Also in a panel with Jay Laga'aia (captain Typho) he talked about this scene and actually gave some costuming facts. Apparantly it had taken 4 women 6 months to make the dress, it is made out of a material that I unfortunately missed the name of but he described it as a velvet-velvet. The costuming people who worked with the dress actually had to wear velvet gloves in order to not make any handprints on the fabric. He hadn't cared about that though, he was the Amidala's security officer after all. ;)

12. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Cool factoid Obi-Anne, thanks! But ugh - having to wear velvet gloves to make the thing over months and months and it gets cut from the movie!!!! Those poor costumers must hate it when that happens!

13. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Ooooooh! Obi Anne, I hope you can find some pictures of the dress that was at JediCon! I'd LOVE to see it.

Also, I think it's cute that JL knew that much about the dress... heeheehee.

14. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    First picture found. click here

Yeah, I was a bit shocked about hearing him talking about the costume, that's why I didn't hear the name of the fabric, I wasn't prepared at all.

15. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    On the lower sleeves, how about a lycra product?

16. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Obi-Ann, that's so interesting! Mind if I add that factoid to my page on the costume? And wow - the fan who made it did a really nice job!! The hair looks great too!

Maggie

17. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Edit: Ok, I JUST realized, a full day later, that this post landed in the wrong thread. [face_blush]

I have a wishful-thinking type theory that MoM will continue to circle the globe over and over for years to come. It's always a successful installation wherever it goes, so surely there's a long list of museums willing to host it.

It would be wonderful for them to tour back through the states (and maybe come a little closer to where I live this time so I don't have to drive 12 hours to see it...) with some Amidala gowns, as there were none when I saw it in Houston 3 years ago.

18. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    That fan's costume is great - she did an awesome job!

19. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Maggie, feel free to add any of the information on to the guide. :)

20. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Done - thanks! :)

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I concur, surly. I saw it in two separate cities and neither time were any Amidala gowns on display. Yerg.

The fan who made this costume did a fantastic job with her fabric choices! Looks great. :)

22. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked by request and bumping.

23. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
  24. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Did anyone see The Daily Show tonight? They added a shot of Padme in this dress to the Iranian Senate. I giggled like a madwoman.

25. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Well after taking a good half a year break from sewing, I've decided to reenter the world of costumes with a bang :D I chose to do this one, mainly because I've not seen too many people with one, and it's Elizabethanish and I did a ton of Elizabethan gowns so I know that area pretty well.

Currently I'm working on the pattern for the base gown :) And I've got the beading pattern ready too, just need to wait for it to arrive in the mail!

I'll keep you all updated.