main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Wedding Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi_Samantha, Apr 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Okay. Just going off of what's in the book, and the main picture, here's my take on it.

The sheer material is the embroidered silk net, and the four large panels of applique are from the bed spread. The scroll design seen all over is part of the embroidered silk, and the trim on the sleeves and the rest of the designs (the shoulder caps, front edges of the coat) are from the bedspread. In the picture where they're adjusting her train, it looks like there's another large piece of applique on the side, almost hidden by the edge of the coat.

Also, I think that the underdress and the sheer overlay are attached at the neckline so that nothing "shifts."

2. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I think you're right on the money with your assesment of this costume, StormtrooperPrincess. I'm glad you did the breakdown of what pieces are what -- if I tried to do it, it would be "Then that really pretty thing that's attached to the other thingie is from that cool thing they found, and then they did some stuff to it."
    :p

-sg

3. QueenLaniAmidala

QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    Okay, this picture was kind of posted in this thread before, but it wasn't the "whole" picture. In this version you can see a bit more of the dress:

[image=http://www.natalieportman.com/temp/swep2/ep2%20dvd%20-%20still%20gallery/ep2_dvd_still_gallery-11.jpg]

4. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Does anyone else think that we should petition to get the title of this thread changed to "Padme's Wedding Dress"? I mean it's really not a spoiler anymore...

5. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    lol.. I was just thinking about that. I'll change it in a few minutes unless there are any objections.

~H~

6. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I have just finished my first version of this dress (Woo Hoo) Now-please keep in mind that most of this dress was made before any real good reference materials came out. It is not exact--It is very hard to copy something made from an antique beadspread :) but I think I captured the feel of the original--and had a lot of fun sewing and beading it. I can't help but be happy with my "first draft" done on a decent budget. I hope ya'll like it too.

Ferd's Wedding Dress Pics

Thanks for looking! :) :) :) :) Ferd

7. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000

Okay. Just going off of what's in the book, and the main picture, here's my take on it.

What book?

I read back a ways in this thread, what book are you talking about?

8. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Nos the book is (I believe) called something like "MythMaking--the Making of Attack of the Clones" It is available at Star Wars.com and comes hardback or soft cover. Great Pics!! :)

**Edit** Myself and others have not been able to find it in bookstores, yet at least :)

**2nd Edit** Try This For the Book
    Click ME

9. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Thanks. Is it for sale in bookstores??

10. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Argh! How many pages of Star Wars books are there with titles that start with Star Wars?? :( I looked through all 13 pages of titles and none looked like that. :(

11. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I had the same problem myself. Turns out Amazon, where I was searching, accidentally listed this book as "Myth Makers", two words, rather than "Mythmaking", one word, which is the true title(if that's where you were looking).

Hope that helps! :)

12. QueenLaniAmidala

QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    Good job on your dress, Ferd! Even though it's not exact to the movie, it still looks very cool. I love your stuff, so keep up the great work!

13. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Mythmaking: Behind the Scenes of Attack of the Clones, by Jody Duncan. (Amazon does have it listed as Myth Makers.) I bought my paperback copy last month at Books-A-Million, even though the publishing date is listed as November 2002.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Her best costume, IMO. :D

15. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
  16. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Ferd, that looks wonderful, considering what little you had to work from. :)

17. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Thanks Ferd!

That book is also mentioned in the latest SW INsider as a great holiday gift. That is what I want for the holidays.
    Are there loads of pictures in that book?
    Are there many (new) pictures of any of the other (Padme) costumes?

18. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    Ferd, that dress looks amazing! Good job!!

19. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    A friend lead me to this site for some great scans from "The Book"
    Click Me For Great Pics

And yes, there are lots of great pics of the other dresses :)

Thanks for the compliments on my dress :) and I must say Thanks to my aunt Michelle (the model) for being such a good sport in modeling my prototypes. Everyone needs a live Barbie doll, ya know??

Ferd :)

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    FERD, it's beautiful! :)

21. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Ferd!!!! That is beautiful! You do such amazing work!

22. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Ferd, the gown you had made is beautiful! :)

23. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    I thought I would share my take on how this dress is constructed. The original bedspread appears to be made of tape lace Tape lace (also referred to as battenburg) is kind of a lost art. Basically it is taking "tape" and arranging it into patterns and connecting it to eachother and/or fabric. The process is very involved and tedious, but the results are breathtaking. The strands joing the tape pieces are very fragile, and so the piece is delicate. The open pattern made by the scrolls make it common for overlays in garment, valances, coverlets for beds and doilys. The pieces are usually made in white or ecru (although white will age to a off white) Tea dyeing can also age a piece. One can use a small bias tape to make the design, but the proper material is "tape lace". Wendy Schoen Designs sales it in a 3 yard package for around $6.00 (So you can see how this can add up VERY quickly! ) Of course, thrift stores, and yard sales are a great place to look for pieces to work with. Especially if they are going to be cut up--they don't need to be perfect.

For the sheer overlay and sleeves I would recommend Martha Pullen's cotton english net. Most stores carry poly english net, but if you can find cotton it is much finer and softer (but quite a bit more costly--$17 a yard versus $4 a yard)

I would also recommend using real cultured pearls for the embellishements. They run around $3.00 for a strand (approx 200 pearls) size 3mm and won't peel or chip. I found a lovely source for tiny pearled flower bunches that sell for around $8.00 for 15.

For the Veil and sculpted headpiece I used re-embroidered french lace. I had once speculated using elastic around the neckline, but once I sat down to make it--I didn't use any elastic. The cap basically fits onto the head well and the pleats and gathers are from the veil not the cap. I made this using a styling head :)

I am happy to answer any questions about this dress and materials and will probably be making another one sometime soon--and can journal along my progress :) Ferd

24. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I am now actively looking for fabrics to use for this dress.
    I found several strong fabric candidates, but all have some problem. :( ....not enough fabric, the entire bolt was defective, or an other not quite right color...........but I do have some hope to keep searching. In my search, I will most likely run into the perfect midnight blue/purple flame patterned velvet.....

25. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I started beading the pieces I plan to use on the headpiece for this yesterday. I did the preliminary beading on one of the round things on the front.
    I will be (slowly) working on this while working on other projects.

I am still searching for fabric.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.