main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth_Vader-Anakin, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I am surprised that there is not topic on this score (at least I coulnd't find one).

Just to let you know, Soundtrack.net has a first listen up of the score. It's 4 in the morning here, so I don't really feel like typing up my thoughts, but I thought I'd point this out for you guys to take a listen.

2. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Let me begin by saying that I despised Dead Man's Chest for the most part. I liked the theme for Davy Jones, Jack's new theme, and I thought the waltz was an inspired idea, but outside of those, I was very dissapointed in Zimmer. Based on these 30 sec clips, it seems that Zimmer really wanted to go out with a bang. This sounds to be a truly great score.

It has pirate chanting, a wonderful new love theme (played on solo oboe in one spot), heroic action music, a quirky new theme for Jack. I can honestly say that I'm really looking forward to adding this to my collection.

3. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    I liked parts of the DMC score (e.g. Hello Beastie, Wheel of Fortune, and Davy Jones' Theme.) This reminds me of PotC meets Hannibal meets The Da Vinci Code with a dash of King Arthur, so me likey.

4. andy1044

andy1044 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2006
    Color me impressed. From the samples this seems to be a bit of a break from his work on DMC. While some parts hint at earlier scores, the result is still mostly original and fun to listen to.

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Darn, I was just about to come post this. :p

I'm really loving it so far. :)

6. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Well I liked the second, hated the first, and now I'm liking this.

7. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    It sounds marginally better. Almost something I'd buy... but... no.

8. andy1044

Aug 26, 2006
    Zimmer is using a new orchestrator on this. Bruce and Walt Fowler, Rick Giovinazzo, and Ken Kugler either orchestrated or helped orchestrate the first two, but they've got Penka Kouneva orchestrating this one. That might be the reason it sounds so different to us.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i checked out the score sample at soundtrack.net, i like it. i can't wait to hear the full thing. definately will pick this up on may 22 when it comes out

10. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    I *loved* all of the first movie's music. The only stuff I liked from Dead Man's Chest was the waltz from the swinging cages and the bar fight music from Tortuga. I'll hold out until I hear the entire soundtrack for this one before forming an opinion.

11. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I really loved the first films soundtrack but two just seemed rehashed. I'll have to actually see At World's End before I buy the soundtrack

Isn't there a "funk"y thread for this?:p

12. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    PotC score is no longer funky.

//edits thread title to "AWE's groovy score"

13. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    I liked the first film's score, particuarly "Barbossa is Hungry" and the various "sword fight" and "pirate" themes (such as "He's a Pirate") though I enjoy DMC's score even more. I'm glad to hear "Jack Sparrow" being reused along with "Davy Jones", though the original music sounds fantastic, too. Gotta love the "Love Theme", particuarly in the "At Wit's End" sample. And anything that borrows from Ennio Morricone is great by default.

14. stiger1

stiger1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2007
    http://www.soundtrack.net/podcast/

Here is a podcast with Hans Zimmer about the AWE soundtrack, but ye must be warned because it contains spoilers. It does contain longer versions of the samples ye heard at soundtrack.net.

15. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one here to have heard this score a few days early.

I was very pleasantly surprised with this one. Zimmer has really produced a fine score. The thematic development of the new love theme and Hoist the Colors is great. The He's A Pirate theme also gets some really nice variations as well, particularly near the end of the big action track. Not only are the themes developed moreso than the past two scores, but there is actually some real swashbuckling music in here. The presence of a real orchestra is something that I greatly appreciated as well. As Zimmer said in his interview, he uses less synths than most people assume, but he mixes them in a way so that they sound different (that seems silly to me, but oh well. Why mix a real orchestra to sound synthetic?) The point is, the orchestra sounds much more like a real orchestra this time with some outstanding use of brass in certain tracks.

Let the discussion being! :D

16. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Wow. I finally can say I actually enjoy a POTC score. I wish the jig-like theme from the first two films made an appearance (the only thematic idea I liked from those scores), but the new theme highlighted in "Up Is Down" definitely makes up for it.

Good score.

17. stiger1

stiger1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2007
    Cd comes out tomorrow.

18. andy1044

Aug 26, 2006
    Just downloaded and am in the process of listening to the soundtrack. So far I am impressed.

19. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    I am impressed also. Got the CD last night and it was excellent. I'm absolutely loving track 5, 'Up is Down'. That jig is so catchy. 'What shall we die for?' is ace too.

20. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    I think my favorite moment on the soundtrack is in "At Wit's End" where we hear the melancholy Davy Jones' Theme on music box wtih the new love theme coming in slowly underneath and then the orchestra and choir swell to an amazing, grand, and tragic rendition of Davy Jones' Theme.

21. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    In the process of listening to it. I'm loving "What Shall We Die For so far."

22. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Cinemusic's review sums up exactly how I feel about this score.

23. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this. I have the first two, but in fact, I only just recently picked up the DMC score. Forgot about it. But I have to say, the Kraken's theme is one of most favourite pieces of music ever. I love both scores. I've seen AWE twice now, so the music is fresh in my mind. So is the trailer music. :p Can't wait to hear the entire soundtrack in peace.

24. CaptSparrow

CaptSparrow Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2006
    Listening to the samples from Amazon, and my favorite one is 'Up is Down'. The fast-paced music, and the strings make it sound superb.

I'm definitely going to buy this soundtrack, as I have the other two.

25. CaptSparrow

CaptSparrow Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2006
    Did anyone think that the 'Parlay' track sounds a bit like the theme from 'Johnny Guitar'. I have not seen the movie, either of them, but I have heard the Johnny Guitar theme and they sound strikingly similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.