main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Pittsburgh Regatta

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by TRADMIC, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    Thinking about the "Anything That Floats" contest...

maybe we could make something for next year and have SWAP be represented in this??

The basics: team needs to be 10 people (regardless of level of each person's participation; sponsorship is optional but helpful as far as cost of supplies. I know a couple places that would be sponsors (*Burger King, of course ;) )

What do you think?

Could we build a floating Falcon? A starship with a R2 unit? An x-wing??

:D

2. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Don't people actually have to get into the boats? What would be good for building something that we could fit into?

3. killdeer19

killdeer19 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2006
    sound's like fun...

4. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    It would be a big project, but I think alot of fun and worthwhile. Costuming is encouraged...that's an are WE would already have covered!

http://www.threeriversregatta.com/CMSADMIN/document/files/Anything%20That%20Floats%20Application.2006.pdf

5. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I like this idea... perhaps we can win the the "first vessel to sink" category ;)

There is also a category for Best Costumes as well as others.

It looks like you must construct a boat from scratch, will is the challenging part... or maybe not. What could we make for a reasonable cost and feasible design?

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    We could alsways buy a ton of foam like the lightsaber noodles are made of then carve and work them to our means.

7. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    I'm thinking that one of the barges used in the Jabba scene in Ep6 would be cool, since they are ships made to carry a lot of people and/or things.

8. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/virtualedition/episode-i/pics/otohgunga/ve_quigon_obiwan.jpg]
    "Master, whats a Bongo?"
    [image=http://starwars.wikia.com/images/thumb/d/d8/Bongo.jpg/300px-Bongo.jpg]
    "A ship I hope. One that will carry us to victory on the Three Rivers..."

9. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    we can only make a bongo if we can have an obi-wan (who will undoubtedly end up wet!) I'm all for the idea if i end up being around when we get around to it.

10. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    I nominate Killdeer to design it since he is an engineer!

11. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    If someone else designs it (and it looks like Killdeer has just been volunteered for that job) I'll help build it (I have my own power tools and a very nice hammer) and I'll be willing to help crew it.

Although I think bongo and barge might not be recognizable by most non-SW folks. Falcon or x-wing or tie-fighter would work, I think. Or maybe a Vader or Yoda shaped boat?

And yes, getting a Fauxbi-Wan wet would be an excellent thing. Perhaps we could find a Qui-Gone also. ;)

12. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    Perhaps we could find a Qui-Gone also.

Well, wouldn't that be nice for you... :p

Perhaps we could win the "first to sink" category

I find Fluke's lack of faith disturbing...

I'm confident we could win this with our crew. Those with girly arms are getting cut first.

I think we would definitely take it for costumes. It would be hilarious to see Jedi and such with life vests on...

We would need something to haul the boat, a hitch (we have), some place to work on such a big project, tools, and volunteered skills and labor.

What about a death star or tie with an x-wing in tow? All on the same platform? Start sketching!

If it survives, we could get some good wheels and be in parades too.

:D

13. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    An X-Wing might be amoung the simpler designs to create. Take a look at this one here: Life Size X-Wing We must also consider that 10 people can fit on the boat and an X-Wing's middle column would work for that.

Less obvious to non Star Wars fans but also probably simple would be an Ewok Village. A flat floating surface with a bunch of tree like pieces protruding.

14. killdeer19

killdeer19 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2006
    I'm thinking that since this is a race, we'd want something with the least amount of drag possible... something along the lines of an A wing? but, since we need recognizability, maybe the falcon?

15. SuperChill

SuperChill Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 8, 2005
    I will do some organizing on this and hope not to step on anyones toes.

16. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    *grin* okay, it sounds like we are really doing this.

So we will need:
    A person to be in charge of designing the thing that floats (Killdeer, are you willing to do this? If so, could you do some rough sketches of possibilities and bring them to the August picnic for folks to look over and discuss)

A person to figure out costs and possible sponsor ships. This person would obviously need to work with the designer, to figure out what would be needed to build the floatie thing. (Superchill are you willing to do this? And no, volunteering to organzie stuff is not stepping on anyone's toes. We are a laid back group, whoever wants to work on something can work on it. Also, your earlier idea of Burger King is a good one. They seem a natural fit since they do national SW promo items.)

People to assist in the physical labor to build the floatie thing (I'm willing to help with this. Have tools, will travel.)

Minimum 10 people to dress up and sit on the floatie thing. (Again, I'm willing to be one of those ten)

How does that sound?

17. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    What greencat suggests sounds good to me. I can help with the building.

18. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    I might be able to help with the decorating part - painting, etc. It will be difficult for me to spend lots of time because of the distance.

And of course, Luminara could show up. :)

19. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I can help with the building/decorating. Plus I have a costume.

20. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    Please keep in mind we need rowers.
    Costumes may get wet.

What costumes does everyone have?

21. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I have a Snow Trooper costume. But if need be I think I can convince the wife into making a Jedi costume. She's always looking for excuses to use her new sewing machine.

22. SuperChill

SuperChill Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 8, 2005
    I can do costs and I'm 99% sure Burger King would be one of our sponcers. I would love to help on the construction as well.
    Obi-Wan is on board.:)

23. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    I am a costume seamstress/designer. I would suggest not wearing your best costume but a good replica of it. For instance, our Jedi robes are made of real wool and can't get wet! I'm thinking there may be a possablility of falling off the float or at least expecting to get wet? It's not a parade where you just sit on the float and look nice. You may not want glued or painted costume parts! I'm going to look into this more! about what happens to those on the boat. I could be wrong.

24. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    That's a good point MomMaster. Perhaps if I end up doing a Jedi I can just have her use cheap material so it looks good but I won't be upset if it get's ruined.

25. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    lol @ quoting myself. One of the rules is that participants must wear life vests at all times. If you don't wear one and are dressed in REAL stormtrooper gear, you'll sink to the bottom like a brick.

I would advise cheaper versions of costumes unless you will be part of the onshore cheering squad for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.