main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Portal 2: Now with PS3!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth_Zandalor, Jun 15, 2010.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Here is one timeline, it lists the take your daughter to work day as happening in 1998 which helps my theory out more. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/03/24/aperture-science_3a00_-a-history.aspx

2. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Thanks!

Okay, I guess I have some problems with this timeline. If Caroline is Chell's mother, and Caroline has always been GLaDOS, then Chell would have to have been born before Caroline became GLaDOS in the first part of the 80s.

But that wouldn't work with the 1998 date of the bring your daughter to work day. As we see in this picture Chell's project is clearly done by a child based on her handwriting and drawings. You can't see it in the picture but it also says she used special stuff from daddy's work. I find it hard to believe that a teenager would still be calling her dad, 'daddy'.

3. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    might be rare, but depending on the upbringing they might.

4. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    True.

But what about the science project's handwriting and pictures?

5. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah I agree. The timeline really doesn't work well with my theory. Unless they reveal in Portal 3 that Chell was some test tube baby or some genetics project or was involved in time travel. But Portal 2 messed around with the timeline Portal 1 gave so maybe Portal 3 will change it more to support my theory.

Of course Cave Johnson seemed to be looking for a way to live forever, he might have put some of his DNA or sperm in storage for someone to use later.

And perhaps Carloine was Chell's mother but when she was put into Glados gave Chell up for adoption to another employee to take care of. That would explain all the adopted comments Glados keeps making. Glados may have been created in the 80s but maybe the Caroline personality wasn't added until a few years later after more software and hardware were added.

But regardless the other evidence is leaning towards some relation between Chell and Glados. I mean why are they always bringing up Chell's parents and leaving all these clues?

And in regards to her handwriting and what not. With all the stuff at Aperture that can cause brain damage and how willing they are to test stuff on ANYONE I don't think it would be that much of a stretch that Chell might have some brain damage.

6. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    You've got a point about the brain damage thing.

As for the references to Chell being adopted, don't forget, we get those from GLaDOS and Wheatley. They are both the very definition of an unreliable narrator. Anything we hear from them should takeen with a grain of salt. Although, I will agree it's probably likely what with her dad being dead (probably) and her mom being a sadistic robot (presumably).

7. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah Glados and Wheatley lie that's for sure. But Glados does say she doesn't have enough power to lie while in the Potato and then we have this happen. Go to 10:10 She still claims you are adopted there, and even defends you. And all this happened after she reconnected with her Caroline self. Or course if Glados was lying about being able to lie...

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Blast it to hell...my resolve on NOT getting this game is wavering, even though I've already spoiled myself rotten thanks to this thread and glorious YouTube. It looks so damn full of win I think it's safe to say it's a seriously strong contender for GOTY 2011.

9. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    if skyrim or mass effect 3 don't win i'll eat my shoes.

10. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Aha! I have proof that my theory is correct!
    Chell arrives on the surface in a fresh cut wheat field. That must mean the Combines are still on Earth!

11. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Beat it on the weekend. Single and Co-op. Already have 45/50 achievements too. There is not much game there, shouldn't have been full price.

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Ugh...that's the one major reason reason why I can't bring myself to the nearest game store and buy the thing: It's only the single player story that attracts me to games lately and if it can be beaten in just a couple of days, well, that's that. I couldn't care less about coop and it sounds like a nightmare to coordinate puzzles with a total stranger. Portal 1 had the advantage of being packaged with several other games and it made the Orange Box such a sweet deal. But paying $70 for something with so little replay value as far as I'm concerned IS a tough pill to swallow.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    On Steam it's only $50. And if you do splurge and buy the PS3 version you get the PC version for free as well.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    1) I'm more of a console player (namely my X360) these days since my wife hogs the PC.

2) At this point, there's no way I'm buying myself a PS3. Don't much care for it.

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Ah well yeah, in that case, you're screwed. :p

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Nah, not really. As it is, my must-buy-game of 2011 is still Mass Effect 3. Anything else is skippeable. :p

17. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    what about skyrim? that isn't on your list?

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Sorry, no. I've never been into any of the Elder Scroll games, not even Oblivion. I played Morrowind for all of one hour before I decided it just wasn't for me. But strangely enough I loved Fallout 3 and I've always heard it's just Oblivion with guns. But at the end, I simply don't like fantasy RPGs.

19. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    fall out 3 was not really oblivion with guns to me. like at all.

i think you might wanna at least try a demo of skyrim. seems to be improved upon in numerous ways that oblivion needed help. while i think ob and mor were great games, they definitely had their problems.

20. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    There's also the developer commentary in Portal 2, if that interests you at all. I always like the commentary stuff so I'm playing through the single player campaign again just to hear them all.

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Eh, I think I'll just stick to my original plan and just pick it up much later when it considerably goes down in price.

22. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

So, how is online Portal 2 play on the PS3?

[face_devil]

23. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Apparently it will cost you all of your personal information to play online, seeing as the hackers have stolen everything on PSN across the planet.

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Caved in, bought it with some extras cash I had to spare. Ah...what a breath of fresh air after so many months of Halo Reach BS. Thank you valve for not dissapointing. Now...when the hell does Half life 3 comes out??

25. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Not even LA Noire!? Now, now Invidious...