main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Probably Moving to Atlanta . . .

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Nathan PTH, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Hey, folks. I'm currently looking at a possible job teaching at Creekside HS in Fairburn. I'm kind of curious what kind of info you could give me in terms of the area, the school (if anyone knows it), what kind of places are around Atlanta to pick up SW publications like the comics and books, and so forth.

Any help would be great.

2. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Hi Nathan! Welcome to our little corner of the galaxy! :)

Most of the members of this group are currently at Star Wars Celebration 2 in Indianapolis. Some of them could probably tell you more about where to look for SW merchandise in Fairburn. I'm up in the Northeast burbs, so I don't know that much about the Fairburn area of Atlanta.

Is anyone else around here familiar with that area?

If you would like more information about our group, please check out our website at www.HothlantaRebels.com. You can also join our mailing list.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. :)

3. Allie Fox

Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US star 3

Jan 13, 2000
    If I'm not mistaken, Fairburn is the home of the Renniassance Festival.

www.garenfest.com

4. NOOM

NOOM Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2002
    nathan
    i can tell you there is a titains close go to i-85 north to
    285 east then about a mile exit riverdale rd to the right
    then about 1 1/2 miles on the left in a shopping center
    keep a look out after you pass the quicktrip on the left
    the shop is kind of small

out :noom

5. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Thanks for all the info.

I did a visit over the last couple of days to Atlanta and the whole East Point, College Park, Union City, Fairburn, etc. area. I did a tour of the school and decided today that I'm definitely taking the job. I just need to call down there to confirm and get everything in order here before I go. I should be in Atlanta somewhere by late July.

Any suggestions on areas to move into?

Right now, we're looking around Union City, and a couple of the teachers suggested Newnan, but my best friend, who'll be moving down there with me, is suggesting northern Atlanta areas, or an area with a younger general population, with a more even split in demographics.

Ideas?

6. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    The whole issue with the Northern burbs is that you have to deal with all the traffic coming OUT of the Northern burbs!

As you look at homes, I would suggest looking at how the traffic flows in those areas. It will really improve your life to not have to fight the traffic every day. (Still, as a teacher, your hours might help somewhat.)

A good traffic site is www.georgianavigator.com.

As for what parts of town? I honestly believe it depends on your personality. This town has definite personality in various areas. I don't know Newnan, so I couldn't say about that. Just see where you feel comfortable.

7. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Well, it just became a bit easier, choosing-wise, though harder moving-wise. My friend isn't moving down there with me, so we needn't be anywhere near MARTA and such.

I'm thinking Southwetern areas still, since it'd be closer to the school, but I'm told the areas where I'd find younger people are probably further up around the northern areas?

On the plus side, given that I'll know exactly zero people down there when I move, I'll probably hook up with the FanForce things pretty bloody quick.

8. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    From what I know about the demographics of the area, yes, there are more younger folks north of town.

However, there are a fast-growing number of FanForce people in the southern parts of town, so it probably won't be an issue.

Besides, around here you get very used to driving all over the Metro and think nothing of taking an hour to go do something. Odd fact of life in Atlanta.

9. URUKHAI

URUKHAI Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    boy is that the truth! I moved here from Wichita, Kansas 10 months ago. I thought I would die because it took around 30 minutes to get anywhere here! In Wichita it took about 5 minutes for alot of your shopping, 20 if you wanted to go downtown. Within a couple of months I was used to driving 'long' distances to go somewhere in Georgia(20 min. is considered a long distance in Wichita).

Anyways, you'll get used to driving far distances.

10. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Well, right now, I'm in Evansville, IN. It's not nearly the size of Atlanta, of course, but our "expressway" (and I use the term loosely) has stoplights all OVER the place because the city planners apparently forgot that overpasses and such existed for the planning of the expressway, so it used to take me 30 minutes to get 10 miles to my university, and that's if you were lucky in the morning.

So that part doesn't bother me too much. That IS part of why I'm looking around Newman though. It'd let me get back and forth to Fairburn without having to commute through Atlanta metro each day.

11. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Okay, got a date locked for going down to look for apartments. I'll be getting down there the evening of June 15, and I'll be staying until the morning of June 22 at the latest. I'm planning to look mainly in the Union City, Fairburn, and Newnan areas, but I'm open to other areas if it can easily get me to 85 or "Roosevelt Highway" (I forget the number).

Any suggestions before I go would be appreciated.

12. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Is this going to affect Second Strike at all?

13. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Nope, 2S will keep on going, as will PTH, the SWT-G, ChronoRadio, and all the other SW projects I'm working on these days.

Nothing I've done with 2S except for getting Emily and Katie for RF1 and Nadix have required being in Evansville, so nothing should change. In fact, it might actually get better, as I'll have a cable modem connection once I move.

And speaking of moving, I went down this weekend and found an apartment. I'll be living in the Cambridge Faire community in Fairburn, just off of 74, pretty close to where it crosses 85, just a bit farther than that from the junction with 29/Roosevelt.

Anyone else around in that area?

14. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Well that's good...

I was just wondering as there haven't been any updates recently. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.