main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Problems with Celebration 2

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by JediYvette , Oct 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    This may have been posted before--I didn't feel like reading the last page of topics.

It really pisses me off the Wizards of the Coast--the owners of the offical Star Wars fan club--has its head quaters in Seattle (where I live, by the way), but the celebration is not in Seattle. Its in Indianapolis. This is so crappy--I am a poor college student--I can't afford to go to Indianapolis. This sucks so much.

2. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I agree! (ok, so I always agree with you...)

What's so great about Indianapolis? What's it's Star Wars signifigance?

::runs away from people who are from there::

JediFarfy

3. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Well, the last Celebration was in Denver, which has significance due to it was near Skywalker Ranch. Or it could have been done in Orange County near ILM. There were many options.

The reason Celebration II is going to be in Indianapolis is due to the fact that the facility available to use is one of the best facilities for conventions in the country. Each place has their own thing, but ICC has many different aspects combined that make it a great location. I have heard this from people who travel a lot due to the 501st etc., who said that the facility was one of the best. The location in the city, the surrounding area, promote a better experience for Celebration goers. Compared to the last Celebration, which was not near any hotels, had nothing to do near it other than go to the convention, Indianapolis' location is more convenient. It is also a more centralized location for other people throughout the United States. It will also be less expensive to fly for these people as well.

A convention doesn't need to be held in close proximity of one of the companies sponsoring it. And if you *do* need a SW relation, Jake Lloyd lives here.

So WotC and LFL can not accomodate everyone, but they are trying to do the best they can for the greater good :) I'm sorry you can't go, and I hope you will get to go to the next one :)

4. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I think everyone would love for Celebration to be close to where they live. We cannot call win.

:(

5. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Thanks MS :)

6. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    If I'm not mistaken the Indianapolis Convention Center is the biggest (and possibly best) in the country. This is why it is held there.

If it was held in Seattle, a much less centraly located city, it would require a much longer travel for many more people.

!snap

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Uh, Indiana is closer to most people than the northwesternmost part of the U.S... If you know what I'm saying.

8. MysterySith

Nov 17, 2000
    I doubt I would go if it was in seattle, too long of a flight in economy class for me, I need more room to sit and First class is too much money.

9. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    It's also a lot easier to drive there because about 6 main highways/roads come into Indianapolis too.

10. MysterySith

Nov 17, 2000
    no more 13 hour drives for us :)

11. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Does it take you that long to get here?

12. MysterySith

Nov 17, 2000
    from NYC, yes

13. snap-hiss

Aug 23, 2001
    I'm looking at a 10 hour drive to Indy from Central PA.

!snap

14. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Yeah that sounds about right. Where in PA are you coming from?

15. snap-hiss

Aug 23, 2001
    Lebanon... it's about 45 minutes from Harrisburg.

!snap

16. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Ahh k.

17. snap-hiss

Aug 23, 2001
    We've got six people from the Central PA Fan Force coming down. Should be a good trip.

!snap

18. Sevb25

Sevb25 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2001
    Don't get pissed, I'm glad finally something this big comes to INDIANA, seem things stuff like this always get to go to L.A. or New York, or some other huge city where there are already tons of things to do and see. It's time we got something this cool!

19. MysterySith

Nov 17, 2000
    New York is not known for Scifi Conventions. We do not have anything that grand.

I am just glad we are getting the Magic of Myth Exhibit.

20. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    Hoe do you make a signature

You know the one you put on after yopur comments

21. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    How do you make a signature

You know the one you put on after your comments

22. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Click on the "Options" link just to the right of your username...then chick "Change Personal Options"...you'll find it all there.

I'm quite confident in saying that the Celebration won't suck. You may not like the location, but Celebration 3 won't be in Seattle either....so you can keep complaining or you can try to find a way to come. You're only other option is to hope that the Celebration tradition carries on after the movies are finished, then I imagine that one of them will make it to Seattle.

23. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Sebv25, you from Indiana?

24. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    Since when is Denver near Skywalker Ranch? They're like 1500 miles apart.

They're choosing cities where the costs of running a convention will be less, which makes sense. On the flip side of that it will be less for us too. Were it in NYC it would be too expensive for most of us to attend.

25. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    And plus, we had enough rain for the 1st SWC, Seattle would almost *guarrantee* rain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.