main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Prop/Costume Making Party - Aug 21st

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadKidJedi

MadKidJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2005
    Hey Wingnut (or anyone in City proper);

I need a ride tomorrow to Nicky and Darren's... who can I catch one with?

2. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Sorry Dean I am not in the city till at least 1030am tomorrow morning. I'm out in Livonia for most of the weekend.

3. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Forgot to mention...

Although we just finished vacuuming and steam cleaning the living room carpet - we do have two cats. So those with allergies/asthma remember to take and/or bring your medication. Although for those that spend most of their time in the sewing room or outside with KS you shouldn't be as affected as the cats aren't allowed upstairs (or outside for that matter - but then again outside has it's own whole set of allergic problems...).

~Doc_Bev

4. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    I'm not sure when I can get there, I'm probably going to check in on my mom 1st . Also Darias alergies have been running rampant so i'm note sure if she's going to want to chance it even with allergy meds. We'll see, Nick I'll give you a call when i'm on my way that way if you need something picked up I can do that on the way.

5. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I think I'm going to need to run to JoAnn's either after I get there or I can stop before.

Anyone else need (or want) to go? ;)

Wingnut - Still searching for jawa fabric (no luck today). I can't find anything with a nice texture that will ravel...and I know if we hit just the right place we should be able to find it cheap (instead or ordering online and paying a lot more). And, basically we just need to decide how you want the hood and the opening and I've got a pattern to alter for the costume, so it won't take me a long time once we find the stupid fabric. Grr!

6. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    Katie If you do go , just check to see if they have any of the Star Wars designs for cotton shirt fabirc. I know they carry the fleece but am curious about the other material designs. I want to see if they carry it locally

7. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Which designs?

I know Wal-Marts carry the yoda, the jedi/clones (I think it was kind of a square design with both, but I'm not sure) and the vader with flames. Also, the ready to sew pillows.

But yes, I will certainly check. :D

8. MadKidJedi

MadKidJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2005
    Well, Jo-Ann's new mega-store on Holt Road in Webster had (I think) all the new Star Wars-esque patterns. I knew the pictures well, they're Simplicity designs, correct? If yes, they had 'em all.

I stopped there today for new tabbards material, and thread, and sewing machine needles (designed for leather sewing) that should do the trick. Got industrial strength Velcro earlier at Home Depot, as well as the baseboard rubber material for modifying my Anakin glove and adhesive to make it stick (much thanx to Darren's C3 reference photos for making that easier). Messed up on the beads I was planning to insert into the pen caps to make my Jedi food pellets (2 sizes of beads in the package I bought.... both way off), so they gotta go back to Jo-Ann's (if Katie doesn't mind picking me up to go when she does). However, if anyone has an airbruch set (and gold, silver, gunmetal grey, and brass colored metallic modelling paints), please bring it tomorrow so I can paint the damn things! Ooops, nevermind the gun-metal grey... they're already grey!!!

Still looking for a ride, I think... and I need directions, Nicky. Just send your address, and I'll MapQuest a printout for myself, even though I know the area pretty well. Any help would be hot, fellow Rebels? Wingnut- 10:30 would be perfect, if you could swing by and grab me on your way... call me.

ALSO... the spoils of my hunts of late have left me with many surplus ROTS and VOTC figures. I often buy and re-buy the figures trying to get the best paint job, y'see. I'll bring 'em, but off the top of my head I've an extra Bacara, Mustafar R2(ROTS #48) and and I think an extra Mustafar Sentry/Kubazian.

9. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    I think what he was talking about was the SW fabric fabric...like that you could make pajama pants from. :p Last weekend I did pick up the Simplicity patterns and have gone through some of them. The jedi is very close to the one that was put out a couple years ago, except they did the screwy stuff with the tabbards.

And I JUST finished two mock-ups for the tunic so I think I've finally corrected that stupid collar band problem. (Now watch, I say this and it won't work tomorrow!) I'll bring my modified pattern with me (well, cut out newspaper). I'd fixed it a while ago but I haven't done it in a while so I forgot. But the mock-ups I did were with one piece of very stiff fabric and one piece of flimsy fabric...so it should be good to go.

Leather needles...hope you bought some that will fit with someone's machine. ;) There are different kinds of needles. Hehe. . I made a leather corset for a SG-1 costume a few weeks ago, so my machine should be able to handle heavier stuff. Not sure how everyone else's does with heavier stuff. How does everyone else's machines do with heavier stuff? :D

If other people want to take a field trip to JoAnn's, I'll just drop my car off and we can walk over tomorrow. Yay field trip!

10. Modernism

Modernism Jedi Master star 1

Feb 19, 2003
    yeah I'd love to go to JoAnns with y'all tomorrow too. I really like that tea-dyed muslin, but it only comes in 45". I've been playing around with the simplicity Jedi costume pattern stuff today, but, er, it's still in development.

11. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Well, let me know if you need any help tomorrow! The only thing I didn't mod on my new pattern is the sleeves. First, because the bell is each persons preference (on screen there's a three inch hem in the sleeve of the outer tunic and it does bell more than the simplicity pattern and it's lined) and because the inner tunic sleeves are tighter and runched. So for that, it can just be adusted as needed. ;)

12. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Yeah, 10:30am would be fine Wingnut. I know that Darren is working until at least 10am hopefully done by 11am at the very latest. So for those working with him there's no sense getting here earlier than 11am.

~Doc_Bev

13. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Morning Guys, its 10am now and we arent even really prepared yet so we wont be there till 11-1130 ish if I can stop at a few places for hunting on the way back...I want that clone evo set.

14. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    That's fine...
    It's almost 10:30am now and KS is still working.
    And from the sounds of the phone call it doesn't sound like he'll be done soon... :(

~Doc_Bev

15. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Doc and Knightshade - Thank you both so much for opening up your home today. It was great to see everyone again and meet some new people. :) Just wish I would've been able to stay long and help our some more. Stupid time!

Thanks again for having us!

16. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Indeed!
    Bravo to Darren and Nicki for being Uber-Hosts and that was fun!
    We should do it again sometime.

17. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I hope everyone got at least a little something accomplished. Next time I'll have to plan out more space for the sewing group. I'm going to try practice my sewing skills between now and then too. ;)

Speaking of next time, let's start a new thread to plan for Prop/Costume Party Episode II. :D

~Doc_Bev

18. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    Yeah Thanks you 2 for hosting. It was great seeing everyone all together like that helping each other and stuff (as ussual) and seeing what everyone was working on. It was interesting to see how the armor molds are being made. Also I had a wonderful surprise from Hothgirl. She will be working on a ESB Han Solo Jacket for me as a birthday / Xmas Gift. Thats going to be real spiffy. Well it seems we will probably have at least a few more troopers around, and they are going to need an officer or 2 maybe. I am up for that, anyone else?

19. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Oh! Oh! I've got the fabric for one of my officer costumes. I'm making two...an olive one and the one I have fabric for - Iceheart, aka: Ysanne Isgard from the comics (she's got two white streaks in her hair and wears a red officer's uniform that's slightly modified). :D

20. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    How are you going to mimic IceHearts eyes though?
    She had one "as red as lava" and the other was "as blue and cold as ice" :D

21. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    It's not very hard at all with contacts.
    How do you think KS gets his Darth Maul eyes? ;)
    I think I remember HothGirl saying she already has the blue one, right?

~Doc_Bev

22. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    mmkay Katie with mismatching eyes might be a bit creepier than the mysterious stain on my now useless bandolier...

Good thing I'm a history buff :mad:

23. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Why is your bandolier useless? Because of the presummed blood? Or something else?

~Doc_Bev

24. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Requirements for a Canon Bandolier is that it is either vinyl or leather.
    I read that this morning.

This is a heavy fabric and is neither.
    While I picked up an unquestioning historical item, it wont work for my costume as far as admittance to the costuming groups. :mad:

25. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Wingnut - Check your pm's about the bandolier issue.

And yep, I've got one blue and can order the red at any time.

Personally, I think I'll be creepier when I dress at Blink for D*Con 2006. It'll just look like I have the whites of my eyes...a few of us are doing Marvel costumes for the con. Muahahaa!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.