main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena [PTI] Happy Happy Time

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    With appologies to DarthIntegral, I thought of a good reason to create the new old boards version of a temp board thread. Like the Happy Happy Time segment of PTI, this thread's for celebrating the birthdays, anniverseries, comings, and goings of things from the sports world.

To start off with:

Happy Anniversery to Bobby Clemente! Today marks the 40th anniversery of Clemente's 3000th and final hit, a double off of Jon Matlack of the New York Mets. In December 1972, Clemente would pass away in an airplane accident while trying to help victims of an earthquake in Nicaragua.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Happy anniversary to the 1959 L.A. Dodgers! On this date in '59, the Dodgers beat the White Sox 9-3 in Chicago to clinch the title, the first for the franchise since the move to Los Angeles. Obviously it was the first ever title won by a team west of St. Louis, but also featured attendance records for games 3-5 that will likely never broken: 90,000+ for each game at the L.A. Memorial Coliseum.

[​IMG]

3. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Un-Happy Anniversary to the 1992 Pittsburgh Pirates. On this day of that year, the Pirates lost to the Atlanta Braves in the NLCS, and began their subsequent nosedive into baseball infamy and futility.

Here's a a 2010 Deadspin article about the game. I didn't watch it myself. I was 6 at the time, and baseball was the furthest thing from my mind. But I've heard about that day for as long as I've been a Pirates fan. Here's to hoping that next year, the anniversary will be a little less of a bitter pill to swallow.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Happy Birthday to Diego Maradona! Or, as Steve Rushin put it:

Long before Diego Maradona delivered the Hand of God, the reverse happened on this day in 1960.

5. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    You didn't want to celebrate Michael Jordan's return to the NBA with the Wizards? :p

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    A day late on this one, but ...

Happy Anniversary to Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, and Vince McMahon. Fifteen Years Ago yesterday, you participated in the "Montreal Screwjob", one of those events that changed Pro Wrestling forever. Hard to believe it's been fifteen years.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, it really doesn't feel like it's been fifteen years since Montreal.

8. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Temp boards hell yeah.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Happy Anniversary to Major League Soccer!

On this day 18 years ago, you announced plans for your inaugural season!

Darth McClain likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Happy anniversary Donovan McNabb

Four years ago today, you revealed you did not know a game could end with a tie after the Eagles game ended with a tie.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Happy Anniversary to the Twenty-First Amendment to the United States Constitution!

On this day 79 years ago, you were ratified, thereby repealing the eighteenth amendment, and allowing us all to freely enjoy alcohol throughout this great country of ours.

Everyone - drink up to celebrate today!

DarthTunick and Darth McClain like this.
  13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
  14. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Happy 40th Anniversary to the Immaculate Reception!

On this date in 1972, the Steelers defeated the Oakland Raiders on a last second play that solidified the Steelers as a legitimate team, and was their first ever postseason win.

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

[​IMG]

There are a lot of fun stories about it. Some of the Raiders, including Phil Villapiano, joke that it was a conspiracy. :p

DarthIntegral likes this.
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'll drink to this anniversary!

Darth McClain likes this.
  16. IntyMobile

IntyMobile Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2009
    A very solemn and in no way happy anniversary to the fans and community of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

On this day 40 years ago, the world lost Roberto Clemente, robbing Pittsburgh, and the entire game of baseball, of a great player and an even greater man far before he should have been taken from them.

17. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I was just going to post that. RIP, Bobby Clemente. Baseball lost you far too early. :(

[​IMG]

Sad to think that such a great moment in Pittsburgh sports history (the Immaculate Reception) would be followed eight days later by one of it's saddest.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Happy anniversary to...

Kobe Bryant! On this date in 2010 he hit a 3-point buzzer beater to defeat Sacramento... this was his 3rd buzzer beater in less than a month (12/4/09 home against Miami, 12/16/09 at Milwaukee.
    :cool:

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Happy Anniversary to THE Ohio State University.

On this day, ten years ago, you defeated Miami in a double-overtime thriller to claim the BCS National Championship.

And, in related news, Happy Anniversary to Willis McGahee ...

On this day, ten years ago, you suffered one of the most grotesque leg injuries in the history of college football.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    a day late but ...

Happy Birthday to Woody Hayes. Yesterday would have been the iconic Ohio State Coach's 100th birthday.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And a Happy Fiftieth Birthday to Michael Jeffrey Jordan.

Loved the shot against Utah, hated the shot over Ehlo.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    No offense, MJ, but I hope that we never have to have another birthday celebration week for you.

23. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Let us not forget today is also Jim Brown's birthday.

And, of course, mine :D

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Happy anniversary to Al Michaels ... On this day 33 years ago, you spoke perhaps the most memorable line in the history of sports broadcasting. And, to the answer the question: yes. I do believe in miracles