main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question; why don't UK users visit here, and why?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Sinrebirth , Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    We have absolutely bucket loads of UK users on the boards, surely we can get something together and entice these guys to us?

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    A lot of them do post here, just not very often :p

The main reason (other then lack of SW stuff to talk about) is that many of the big discussion topics are already on the JCC so more people post over there.

I prefer to discuss such topics here seeing as the JCC is full of too many self-promoting and opionated people. But since anyone is yet to come up with a topic to encourage a large amount of posting that doesn't involve Dr Who, I'll haveto stick with posting elsewhere.

3. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    This is just me, personally, but from my point of view, I've kinda walked away from Star Wars as a whole, now. I don't know; maybe it's a sign I'm getting older, but lately, I just haven't felt that rush from the franchise. Okay, I'll continue until the day I die to regard the first three films with the level of respect they deserve. However, the prequels - like them, I still do, but they are just not able to hold my attention as the first three movies did, and the Clone Wars animated series - personally, I don't hold much respect for series one that much, although, the story telling in series two has improved.

I will not be attending Celebration V, whereas, a couple of years ago, I would have been very tempted, but to be honest, when you have something like DragonCon that isn't that long after, DC will win over CV - ask anyone who has attended CIV and DragonCon, and you'll get the same response 90% of the time - let's face it. There are a load of other things (in the sci-fi/fantasy realm) to keep us entertained. Star Trek has had a reassertivness. Iron Man, Batman, and all those other things are increasing in popularity again, and Star Wars, while it will be popular for years to come, quite frankly, isn't holding it's own any more.

I don't even costume any more. I've still got my TK armour, but I'm giving it serious thought to selling it/throwing it away, because it's just sitting in a suitcase, and I have no more interest in doing it.

That's one of the reasons why I don't post any more.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Why isn't there a banner?

Why is that harrassment sticky still here when i) the furore over that died years ago and it's been long gone from all the other boards I visit.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't see the harm in leaving it up. While problem users from the past are no longer an issue, we may yet acquire new members that need to know the rules.

Not sure what's up with the banner, I'm sure it'll be up again soon.

6. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It communicates an important message, but it's also a loathesome thing to see up there. It has a place in the R&A forum, and that's where it should be found.

7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    For me I think the overly excessive moderating pushed a lot of people away but with recent changes like WTF etc. thinhs may improve in some aspects, I've certainly seen a lightening in the place over the last few years.

I think real life has impeded on most of us though

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    It's sad, but it's a common trend over the whole of FanForce now that the films are over :(

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Real life stuff has become more prominant over the last couple of years, what with the younger members going to University and others getting less time to post because of work.

However, meets have been possible and that is a good way to continue fandom and discussions even if the board itself has little to encourage posting.

FFUK members frequently attend the various Collectormanias as well as the London Film & Comic Con and other events.

I'm sure the return of Dr Who in the spring will at least cause one topic to be active :p

10. clonetrooper1

clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2005
    To be honest, I forgot this place existed :p

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm gagging for it. Free of RTD at last.

12. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    ^He speaks the truth!

13. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm still here, and always am. I just tend to stick to Fan Art, Fan Fiction, and Videos Games. Even then I don't post a lot. I just don't really have anything to say.

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I was never too sure whether it was okay to post in here if you weren't physically a member of the regional fan-force. I've posted once or twice in the Doctor Who thread, but that was because someone on the JCC pretty much suggested JCCers join the discussion.

Perhaps someone should make it clear that UKers are invited regardless of whether or not they physically attend meetings?

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Of course they are, many people who post here don't attend meets.

16. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    I don't attend meets and I don't post here. :p

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    You also don't live in the UK :p

18. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    As I recall she used to.

19. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Yup. The Midlands group was my adopted FF while I was at uni. They seem to be pretty dead now, but maybe I'll drop in to another meet while I'm back this spring. I'll at least hang out here a little more. :p

20. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Congrats to Richie on becoming CR, a "hey!" to Hal. Been a while (again).

From my POV I started posting on the FFUK when it became active meet-wise in real life. That is what I saw FFUK as - never as a message board, a place to organise meets. I didn't want to chat with people who don't come out from behind their usename. It was always hard to make both sides of the FFUK happy. Plus I also believed in equality on the boards - especially over modding, I didn't see the UK as a special case, and still don't. Some don't agree with that, some do. No one wins. It was why in the end I walked away, the more vocal members were the ones who wouldn't meet me in real life. It wasn't worth it. Guess hence why I was never a big poster on the regional area when I was on here as a member.

I'll still happily meet the good people who I made friends with on here (and have done so) and always up for a chat with any fan who's a decent person. As for nutjobs, I can block em easier on facebook lol.

21. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    Things got too busy for everyone and what others have said
    the films depature had been the main reason.

Oh well theres m,ore to life than Star Wars.

Everyone have a great life

Live long and Prospor and my the force be with you :p .

22. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    Thats me knackered then.....lol [face_laugh] :p

Kudos to Ritchie for starting the Facebook page. Seeing as though that seems to be the flavour of the day in terms of communication right now it may be a new hope at bringing people together under the FF banner...whether online or offline...

Keep up the good work Ritchie!

23. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    Buenos Dias Amigos! :) I usually hang out on Facebook and Twitter these days as I know a few of you do as well! SW has taken a major backseat in my life these days although I am looking fwd to the concert in March. Later! :)

24. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Opposite for me. I saw it - in its prime - as a messageboard. I was never here to get into Fan Force, and I've never been interested in attending FF meets - only once did I ever show in person (at CE - and only because that was a pilgrimage for anyone in Europe who has ever loved SW). That's no reflection on any of the people, simply that my aim was only to have a bit of a laugh online without associating it with RL. Depending upon work I'm still looking to attend CV in Orlando, if there's a CE2 I'd be there in a flash, and happenstance would be fine too - if I'm in the same place at the same time as a JCer I'd be happy to say hello - but that would most likely be the limit.

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I attended a meet organised in the RPF, and I've attended a few from here - but many of them ended up being one person meets, which tends to happen, I've found...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.