main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Questions about the new boards? Read this thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    I read all 5 pages and haven't found my problem so here's my question.

I cut and pasted my story chapters from the temp board to the new board(in preview I sometimes edited spelling ect.) I had to remove my temp board name and date published and other clean up but there are numbers in the margin 1. ect. I can't erase them. Is there a way or do I wave my hand and say you don't see them?

Thanks Lea

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ters-13-14-up-9-25-force-ghost-yoda.50003284/

Just thought a link might help

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Actually we do, it's just not on the formatting bar. You have to type the code in manually as described here about 3/4 of the way down the page. If you're trying to create highlight-to-read text like this, though, you must define the text color as black as well because this is the default text color and it isn't black, as you can see.

3. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Ah. It's the same. Thank you. :)

4. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    You need to get rid of the [ list=1], [ /list] and [ *] tags. IIRC, there's a small icon in the upper-right hand corner of the edit box (it looks like the letter A, I think) which lets you edit your post and its BB code directly. Click on it and you should see the tags I'm referring to.

I'm not sure why they invaded your fic in the first place, though I suspect it's because the rich text WYSIWYG thingy is erratic at times when you copy & paste. BTW, is the [ indent] tag intentional or did it sneak in, too?

5. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    Thank you Thank you Thank you

It looks so much better and yes the indent thing did slip in to.

I'm off to edit only 13 more chapters to go.

6. Janakin Skywalker

Janakin Skywalker Jedi Master

Sep 21, 2012
    Any idea when the limited characters is going to be fixed? With it as it is we can't read any fics that have been posted in the threads.

-JS

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    We don't know, sorry. :( The guy who is helping us -who is doing this out of the kindness of his heart and not getting paid- works for the old place that hosted our forums (IGN), so we're kinda at his mercy.

We hope soon, but I can't say anything for sure on that. Believe me, we know it's frustrating.

8. Janakin Skywalker

Janakin Skywalker Jedi Master

Sep 21, 2012
    That's ok. Was just checking to see if there were any updates on it. Yes, it is frustrating but you guys seem to be in a transition period so once it's done it will be great. Fair play to the guy for the help. As Obi-Wan would say, "Patience". :)

9. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Are we able to post links within words yet? I can't remember the code for it, and the insert link buttons are faded out/unusable.

10. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Alexis_Wingstar - to use the link buttons, you simply need to highlight the text you want to be the link, and then the link button should become active.

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Oh, I didn't think to do that. I feel really stupid. Thanks the quick response.

12. cje24576

cje24576 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2010
    I have a few questions (if any have been asked and answered before, please ignore them and point me to where they are answered):
    -will any of the old links (e.g., to fics in the "A/P databank" thread, etc.) be replaced with working links?
    -will any old links to fanfiction cover art (e.g., "rules of engagement" by "Gina") be replaced so that the cover art shows up again?
    -I know on the old boards, when you wanted to watch a thread or a user or favorite a thread or user, you had to put in the length of time you wanted to watch it for (e.g., 365 days), is that how it will be again or will the watched/ favorited thread/ user NOT expire? I hope everyone understands what I'm talking about.
    -I know that on the old boards, we were able to favorite threads and users, I was wondering if we will have that feature back? Please, if we don't have it back, please bring it back. I loved this feature of the old boards.
    -Also, I asked this question before, but I don't know if people understood what I was saying: I know that on the old boards, the image at the top of the boards changed depending on which part of the site you were on (it had a different image for "the saga" fanfiction section and a completely different image for "beyond the saga" fanfiction section, and they used different images for Halloween (zombies)) and these images changed every so often. And the actual threads changed colors (the part of the threads with the actual posts). Are the new boards going to have this feature too? I hope everyone understands what I'm talking about. I hope the new boards get this feature back, because I really loved it (especially the zombie images for Halloween).
    -is the search function going to be fixed? It might have been last month that I was trying to find my old watched threads (searching for fics by their title) and hardly anything was showing up that matched my search. On the old boards, the results were much more accurate. I also tried searching in the profiles of the authors ("post history") and for a bunch of them, not all of their past posts showed up. It would be really helpful if this were fixed.

Thanks.

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    cje24576
    1. Some of the thread hosts are working on updating them, but overall we are hoping to have a fix but I don't actually know for sure if it will be possible, it's kinda low-ish on the priority list at the moment.
    2. This is also a code changed issue and will probably be fixed around the same time as #1 if it's possible. Individuals can fix it themselves if they so choose.
    3. I believe if you are set to get alerts on a thread, if you don't respond to the alert (as in click on it and go to the thread) it expires that alert until you go there again. I don't think there is a way to set a time limit on it, at least I haven't seen one myself, but I never set them at the old boards so I didn't see it there either. ;) (I do use the alerts here, though).
    4. You are talking about banners. Yes, we are working on a way to get them back but as the forum code is right now, having that many messes up the code and breaks the boards. But we are hopeful that we will get that back.
    5. Initially it was turned off, but it should now work. I find that if you are looking for stories by their titles, click the box in the search that says search title only. When I searched for one of my fics by title without that clicked it resulted in a bunch of hits that didn't work but when I clicked that it went right to it. Also, if you know who the author is you can put that in as well and it should find it.

I hope that answered your questions, I know some of them are vague but some of them I only have vague answers for at the moment. :( Feel free to send me a convo if this didn't help or just created more questions.

14. cje24576

Aug 21, 2010
    Yes, you pretty much answered my questions. Thanks.
    I do have a couple more questions though:
    -what happened to the feature where we could favorite a thread or user? I've added a bunch of people to my alert list, but am hardly getting any alerts for them (their postings).
    -could you explain your answer to #3? It kind of confused me.
    Thanks.

15. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Hello there. :)

Whenever I attempt to edit my posts, the cursor freezes and I get this message:

'theforce.net is not responding due to a long-running script.'

Is there a solution to this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated tremendously.

Thanks.

16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    cje24576
    I know you can watch users but I don't believe it gives you alerts on them, I think it just makes it easier to find them. I think to watch a thread you have to post in it first. When you post (if you have it set to do so in your alerts, change you alerts in alert preferences after highlighting your name at the top left), but then what I was saying in number three applies. When you get the alert, you have to click on the alert or it will think you don't want them any more and stop sending you the alert. To be honest, I don't really use those features (though I have starting using alerts) so I don't really know them.

epithree - I'd assume that is just an error that happened when they were doing something to the boards. If it continues to happen, send me a convo with the thread you are trying to edit and the exact error message you are recieving and I'll take it Mod Squad to see if anyone else is getting it and what to do about it.

17. cje24576

Aug 21, 2010
    That really stinks that they changed the way the alerts (for users) work. I hope they will change it back to how it used to work on the old boards (where we ACTUALLY GET the alerts (this is the reason I chose to get alerts for these users)). Is there any way you guys could change it back to how they worked on the old boards? Please.
    I was wondering though: in terms of threads, what about the locked threads? Will I actually GET alerts if/ when the thread is unlocked? Thanks.

18. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    You can watch a thread by clicking on "Watch Thread" in the upper right corner of the thread immediately above the top post on the page. You do not need to have posted in the thread first. I don't know about locked threads, but I assume that if you watch one, you'll get an alert if it is unlocked and a post is made.

19. cje24576

Aug 21, 2010
    I was wondering: I know for sure that there was such a thread on the old boards, but I've tried to find it here (through the search function) & I can't find it. I know there was a "Vader redemption challenge" thread (or some such title) & it had links to the entries & I seem to recall most of the fics had summaries as well. I'm really trying to find it (there were a bunch of fics in the thread that I'm trying to find). Could you tell me where I could find the thread? Thanks.

20. cje24576

Aug 21, 2010
    Please disregard my last post. Thanks.

21. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Late to the party and confused :confused: ... it's all so new and shiny! Sorry if this has been asked, but to find my own fics do I have to do a search? I had them all linked in my info on the old boards..I'm assuming they are here somewhere!? lol... Thanks :) , and hello, first post in a while.

22. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    First... hi! :) I love that the news is bringing oldbies back.

Yes... as far as I know, you do have to do a little hunting to find old fics. They're all here, though you may have been struck by the truncated post issue and thus have some missing parts. If you can't find what you're looking for, let me know and I'll look a bit too.

23. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Thanks Luna :) Lovely to see you...will start searching!

24. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    So... hypothetical question... Say an author hasn't posted since 2010 and the thread is now locked. Is it better to ask to have the thread reopened, or just start posting all over again? I'm leaning toward reposting, hypothetically, of course. ;)

After reading this thread, it also looks like I need to dig through and find my old stories and back them up since I think most of them were on the harddrive that crashed a while back. Am I right in reading that truncation is temporary for now but may become permanent in the future? The character limit is just for each post, right? Not the entire story? Although that would make the "one post" stories a bit more creative. I guess you could post them all at once and hope no one replies before you get the entire thing up.

It's all so very new, and I'm glad I'm not the only one wandering around, confused.

25. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Locked threads: You can still unlock your own threads, as we've enabled unlimited thread editing for fanfic. It's a two step process, whereupon you first click 'edit' on the first post of your thread, and then hit the 'more options' button. There, you'll see an unchecked box next to the word "Open." Click that, and it will reopen your threads for posting.

Truncation recap: Each individual post was capped around 10,000 characters, which has made for some seriously fun times in fanfic. We are getting them back, but we are at the mercy of Mike from IGN, the lone soul helping out with all our technical woes. He's got a lot on his plate, so fixing the truncated posts has been a case of 'he'll get to it when he gets to it.' But at no point do we plan on truncation being permanent- so far as we know, all posts will be restored to their original form as soon as they can be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.