main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qui-Gon Vs Obi-Wan-mythologies

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by coney_1_kenobi, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coney_1_kenobi

coney_1_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    Qui-gon Jinn: "feel, DONT THINK....use your instincts"

now contrast this with obi-wan's philosophy:
    "patience.....use the force ....THINK."

they both said this to Anakin as we all know.

What could be the reason for their contrasting views on the force or rather how it works and how you should utilise it? ie, who influenced it etc....

N.B. how confused would anakin be

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I think it had to do with the difference in situations.
    When you´re racing at hundreds of miles per hour, there isn´t much room to think. You have to use your instincts.
    When you´re chasing someone into a nightclub that is totally crowded though, you must realize that there isn´t much room in there to run.

But I agree that Anakin might be a little confused by this.

3. coney_1_kenobi

Aug 2, 2002
    I see your point...it does depend on the situation.
    But it could also reflect their teachings, possibly reflect qui-gon and his focus on the living force etc, and obi-wan the opposite

4. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Remember, Obi-Wan also taught Luke not to think when using the lightsaber. He told him to reach out with his feelings... so yes it depends on the situation.

5. coney_1_kenobi

Aug 2, 2002
    very true 'onlyonekenobi'

6. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Remember, Obi-Wan also taught Luke not to think when using the lightsaber. He told him to reach out with his feelings... so yes it depends on the situation.

I was just about to say the same thing. Same when Luke attacks the death star the voice of Obi-Wan says 'trust your feelings'

Palps also says 'In time you will learn to trust your feelings. Then you will be invincible.

During the Arena, Obi-Wan tells Anakin to concentrate.

There are many different teachings for young Anakin.

7. ShadesofSiknas

ShadesofSiknas Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    Maybe this goes back to what is wrong with the PT Jedi and why they fell and where blind to the darkside.The truth of the force is to feel and trust the force to lead you down the right path.Qui Gon believed this the living force while the others used the Unifying forc and didnt just live in the moment trusting there feelings.Perhaps we will see Yoda and Ben change there philosophy in EP3 after the appearance of a certain force ghost.
    Yoda clearly does.
    EP1-"Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future"
    EP5-"Always looking to the future never his mind where he was on what he was doing"

QG corrected Obi Wan when he said that first quote so maybe he enlightens the others in EP3.

8. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Obi Wan and Qui-Gon have very different perspectives on the Force. The best example I can think of off-hand is the scene in TPM where the band of heroes are planning their assault on the capital and the Trade Fed battleship.

Qui-Gon: There is a chance many Gungans could dies today.....

Obi-Wan: If the Viceroy escapes he will return with a larger army.....

One mired in the present, the other accounting for the distant future. Polar opposites that work well together and balance each other. Can you imagine how much conviction it would have taken for Obi-Wan and Yoda to wait 20-odd years for Luke to be ready for training? That's long-term action! ;)

Anakin, however, is trapped in the immediate and terrified of the big picture. He almost wants to freeze the Galaxy and hope that nothing changes so that he can have his perfect little world where he has everything he wants and is happy.

Luke, however, seems far more balanced to me. He has the ability see the big picture ("I'll take down the Empire!") and take steps in the immediate to reach the goal ("But I'll save my friends first cause they can help me!")

9. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I agree with everyone else. It's a matter of circumstances. Perhaps Obi-Wan is trying to teach Luke to fuse the two (if you believe in the Unifying/Living Force differentiation as Qui-Gon does. No one else mentions it.) Using both interchangeably and as the situation warrants flawlessly is indicative of a superior Force user. Instead of yin/yang working together - Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan - you have one Jedi, using both successfully - Luke.

Obi-Wan as Ben moved beyond the original separation of thought of the two Force avatars in his teachings of Luke.

10. Qui-Gon-Was-Right

Qui-Gon-Was-Right Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    I think it depends on the level of the padawan. When Obi-Wan was guiding Luke and Qui-Gon was guiding Anakin, both Luke and Anakin had raw potential, but it was undeveloped. It such situations they should rely on their instincts. However, once a padawan has some training and has begun to hone their skills, they should think more and rely more on trained skills than instinct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.