main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seattle, WA R2-D2.....where is mine? :)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JumpinJax, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JumpinJax

JumpinJax Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2006
    I need to get working on R2, and there's a few here doing the same...need a motivator. Bad motivator, good motivator, at least it's movement :p
    Party time! It's the answer for everything =D=
    R2 party gotta happen, need a kick in the caboose, anyone wanna lay down some droid?
    JJJJ

2. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    get started ordering all the parts you're gonna need. There are some big shipments being made in the next two weeks! Dome, skins, etc! Time to start buying!!!

3. JumpinJax

Apr 11, 2006
    I missed the AA run on skins etc, who do you suggest?

4. AmmersVI

Jun 25, 2005
    There was a poll up for skins on the Yahoo R2 builders group about two weeks ago. If you showed interest by signing up you were on the list. Yesterday the guy sent out an e-mail that he will be shipping skins on the 27th. I tried to find the list but I couldn't.
    You could also try astromech.net, currently there is a dome run being done. The list is still open for it too. Those should hopefully start shipping the beginning of September.

5. JumpinJax

Apr 11, 2006
    Sweet!
    I'm going nearly all plastic on mine, so I'm not sure what material the skins are. I'd LIKE to use metal skins but the cost is a little scary, although I will pony up for the aluminum dome, just seems wrong otherwise. There's a guy doing lots of resin parts that will fulfill most of the bits and bob requirements, just need to get past that skins thing.

6. micdavis

micdavis Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2003
    The two 'must have' parts are the Dome and the Skins, everything else can be made fairly easily.

There is a current run of skins that you can still get in on at the R2 groups. $190 shipped.

That is unbelievably cheap for aluminum skins.

Amy and I are starting up the wooden frames probably next weekend at my shop.

7. JumpinJax

Apr 11, 2006
    That IS a good price! I'm temporarily broke, however, and am dancing around even getting that yet. Well hope I hit another run of someone's in a couple months, then I'll be more free to spend like a maniac=P~

8. JumpinJax

Apr 11, 2006
    Woohoo! I'm ordering A&A parts this week, not sure when they'll arrive but I'm also getting the PVC pipe for the body this weekend. Can't wait to get rolling [image=http://www.elecdesign.com/Files/29/10080/Figure_01.jpg]

9. AmmersVI

Jun 25, 2005
    seeing all those happy little R2's makes me look forward to having one of my own! :)

10. JumpinJax

Apr 11, 2006
    Beep beep :D

11. JumpinJax

Apr 11, 2006
    How did the building go?

12. AmmersVI

Jun 25, 2005
    Didn't get to meet up. I still have yet to get any parts. So basically it is a whole lot of paperwork for now. Well, I have started working on lensing some fiber optic cable for the back logic port but that's about all for now.
    I did get the PSI lights though. There was a place online that sold them as front and back kits. They were really prompt and affordable.

13. JumpinJax

Apr 11, 2006
    Ordered skins, going to start printing out specs for making parts, probably going to make a mold for vac-forming outer legs; the droid will be much lighter that way but would conceal a strong frame within. I know welders, that's all I'm going to say :D Feet I'm going to buy as they're complicated enough to skip making. This puppy is going to be rolling, if not under power, by February.

14. AmmersVI

Jun 25, 2005
    That's great! This project is starting to cost a lot of $$$! I sure wish mine would get rolling. Are you going with a metal frame then? Did you decide to go with metal skins after all? I am going to try for a wood frame.

15. JumpinJax

Apr 11, 2006
    I'm sticking with plastic for now. I'm hoping it won't break me :oops:
    More or less I won't have a frame, just a rigid body that might get some fortification later on. It's going to be a hollow shell for building from the inside. I want to try and make as much of it as I can. R2 shop day, anyone?

16. JumpinJax

Apr 11, 2006
    My skins are here, my skins are here! Yayyyyyy![face_dancing]:D

17. AmmersVI

Jun 25, 2005
    you ordered plastic skins pre curved?

18. JumpinJax

Apr 11, 2006
    Nope, flat. I'll glue them onto the piping when the time comes. I suppose I could roll them tight and bind them up to get them ready. Now where did I leave the secret panel/beer cooler unit? :)
    BTW, I'm building Whistler, so he's gonna be white and green, R2 comes later.
    Jjjjjjjjjoey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.