main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC RE: New Board, cool!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by YoungJediNiagara, Mar 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Yes, new board for the Victoria BC people. I'm hoping now that there is a "home" for them an Official Chapter will form.

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I hope it doesn't separate us further from the other BCers... I'll likely post in both forums. :)

*Derisa*

PS... this is my 500th post! Why that's important, I have no idea but... :) anyway!

3. Qui-Dawn Jinn

Qui-Dawn Jinn Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 1999
    Personally, I don't see as having our own Victoria board will separate us from anyone else. I prefer to look at it as being our own especial home base, a place "just for us" so that we feel more rooted....and that way, we can be sure that we're connecting with other actual folk in the same city. And that, in turn, makes presumably organizing a fanforce chapter, or *anything* in particular, really - be it a gathering or coffee meet or whatever - *so* much easier....at least for *me*. It's all about not feeling so lonesome in this big ol' city, I think. :)

And, of course, now that we *do* have our own Victoria home board....I'm presuming that this will make organizing of, ahem, various things *so* much easier and more pleasant....I mean, *I* have hopes. :)

Dawn.

4. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    You got the right idea Qui-Dawn Jinn.

This is your new home for starting your new chapter. (and you can freely post anywere on the boards too)

5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Sounds good to me. :) I'll send the locale of this forum on to the others that I know of on the boards and just out there in the community, and we'll see about getting together and having a coffee chat or something soon. :) Did ya get my PM, Dawn?

*Derisa*

6. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    I think it'll be good for all of us to know there's a genuine community at work here - you don't feel quite so isolated that way. :) Also, it makes us a real presence, and of course, let's not forget....lining up for Episode II. Maybe not two *months* ahead of time, to be sure....but something maybe a bit saner is still worth thinking about. :)

Derisa: Eeeek! No! What PM? I don't remember it offhand....:)

Dawn.

7. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    I PMed you about my ICQ not working at all... to apologise for apparently not replying to your various messages over the past several months. I can receive, but none of the messages I send get where they are supposed to go. Sigh.

Maybe you could PM me with your phone number? I'll do the same for you. :)

*Derisa*

8. Lightsaber11

Lightsaber11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2001
    Three Cheers for Victoria

You'll get plenty of visits from me, and I can round up at least one more for the boards (Fans are never a problem, its people who want to register for fan-based discussion forums that are hard to find)...

I know Dawn, well, not because I've MET her, we've just spoken, at great length. We share a birthday... snicker.

I think I'm mentally inable today, so before I get incoherent I'm outta here.

talk to you soon Vic,

Lightsaber11

vvvvvvom vvvvvvvvoom wvvvwvvwvvvooom

(my lightsaber noise)

9. bradsidious

bradsidious Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2002
    Hey Victoria!!! I'm up in Campbell River and hardcore fans here are hard to find!! I sometimes feel I'm stuck way out here in the outter rim terratories!! It's nice to know there are some others close to me!!! I've found another home here on this forum!!!

Bradsidious

10. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Our own board? This is great! I've already met Qui-Dawn in person and Derisa happens to be my best friend, but I'm really looking forward to meeting other fans here too!

Anyone up for a coffee meet for starters? Lightsaber11 and Bradsidious, how about you?

If we five and anyone else who is interested hit it off, maybe we could even look at a FanForce chapter? :)

I know, I know...one step at a time... Don't let my enthusiasm scare you. :)

- Rani

11. bradsidious

Mar 4, 2002
    Rani,
    All of it sounds good to me. What are the details?
    bradsidious

12. Qui-Dawn Jinn

Oct 19, 1999
    Excellent suggestion, Rani! Sounds good to me too! I'm up for it whenever, wherever the consensus decides....but, just to throw a few suggestions of locale out there: what about Cafe de la Lune, I like the ambience there, it's a nice central location, easily accessible (well, by foot anyway)....and if you're lucky you can get the upstairs booth, which is my personal fave. :) There's also the vegetarian cafe down in Market Square....a number of nice cozy booths, comfy atmosphere too, I think.... And oh, well - this town being what it is, I suspect we have far too many coffee houses for our own good. Me, I'm the tea drinker if anything, not so much a fan of coffee....but in any case, well, I don't think we're suffering for any *lack* of places to go. Maybe it's just a matter of choosing which one, and I think that may be too much responsibility to place on *my* shoulders, so....well, Rani, I do believe this was all *your* idea first, you *did* mention it, right? ;) Tee hee....

So, yes....*excellent* idea, for sure, and I hope we can organize a meet very soon! I know we're all plenty nice folks, the people I've met already I like very much (bows and waves to Rani and Derisa)....okay, very *very* much! :) - so I'm sure we're all perfectly likeable, no worries....no reason to fear. Seriously. :)

Ta,

Dawn.

13. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    Hi Guys,

Just to remind you...

1. Tell me when you set the date to get together and I will post it in the FanForce News. It will count towards the three times you need to plan, and execute, an activity before you can be considered a chapter.

2. Once you meet for your 3rd event, I will request that you be officially labeled a FF Chapter, and you will be able to create a name to call your chapter.

3. Then you will get the honor of voting for a City Rep from within your members. (I can help with suggestions.)

14. bradsidious

Mar 4, 2002
    I'd like to be part of your chapter, because here up north there isn't the people to start my own... so my twin dilema is, how can I meet with you all regularily without the 4 hr. commute? Is there anything regarding honourary memberships? I can come to a few meetings though to meet me and see I'm all right.
    bradsidious

15. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    With the new movie coming out in May, I'd like to have our first coffee meet no later than April 7, so we can plan something for the line-up (I seriously doubt Victorians will start lining up earlier than two weeks in advance).

Bradsidious, are you planning to come down to Victoria at any time before then? If so, we can do our best to schedule it during that time, to coincide with a trip you would be making anyway. If you're not planning on coming down in the next few weeks or so, let us know that too so the rest of us can meet up earlier rather than later and make some plans for Episode II. Maybe opening night might be worth your while to come down and meet us? :)

Regards,

- Rani

16. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Okay, sounds good... can anybody tell me what the perks of being an actual fanForce chapter are? Do we get decoder rings and groovy stickers or anything?

:)

I'm all for us having more friends, us pasty giques need to meet more of the same. :)

so, um, yeah... place suggestion works for me: it's easy to find and all... date: is there anyway we could do something earlier than the 7 of April? that just seems so far away...

How much notice do we have to give YJN for the posting in the official announcemnets forum?

Whee!

*Derisa*

17. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    Perks...

FanForce perks
    1. You can create your own club icon.
    2. You are given unlimited edit time on your posts.
    3. You can create your own banner.
    4. You get to vote for a City Rep. from the people within your chapter.
    5. You can proudly display your club name beside your "city forum".
    6. You can request for a color change on your board.
    7. You will have the help of other official chapters to assist in activities and events.

Personal perks
    1. Knowing that you are the premiere SW Fan Club in your area. (Yes others can start, but not on FanForce. Is there a better avenue other than FanForce to promote a SW Fan Club in your city?...NO!!!)
    2. The growth of your club will tend to grow at a larger rate once people know there are other fans that meet regularly in your area.

My personal view...
    It can't begin to explained in words what my chapter means to me. We are active every week, and we have become more of a "family"
    than "just Star Wars Fans".
    We are growing all the time and with each new member, we become that much better.

18. bradsidious

Mar 4, 2002
    Rani, and others',
    Hi again!! Okay, I probibly won't be going south in the next couple weeks, but I would like to be able to get a report or something on what you guys talked about.

Or is it "aboot"? I've spent so much time in the US forums I am beginning to wonder aboot that... AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

Anyway, I am actually going to the LA line up down in Hollywood for the big show!! I posted a topic here to see if anyone else is going and so far no-one has responded. I am in touch with www.liningup.net and the organizers and they are fully supportive. They are giving me a great warm welcome. I am in communication with kahunnaman and the moderator Peter-They've been on trips to SW locations! They found the road to Jabba's palace-there are photos on the lining up site. Anyways, I could be the Senator-Representative and send you reports etc. on our forum page while there!! What do you think?!
    bradsidious

19. Qui-Dawn Jinn

Oct 19, 1999
    Just a quickie here for the moment....I figured I just couldn't let today go by without this. :) Can I be the first to wish our own lightsaber 11, Nolan, a very Happy Birthday? Good....'cause I do. Happy Happy Birthday! :)

And, of course, by extension....and why should I be at all subtle about this? I mean, *honestly*.... ;) - well, it's my birthday too....so, Happy Birthday to me. Hey, you *knew* I was going to sneak it in there!

Now, then....I'm off to milk this for all it's worth, because of course, that's only a fitting thing to do on one's birthday, when you are as a god yourself....tee hee....

Oh, and another quick thought: I, too, would like us to arrange a coffee meet or some such thing, maybe a bit sooner than April....if only because we all seem likc such a nice bunch, and there's no fear of us freaking anyone out, I'm sure. Well, not *each other*, anyway. But the *mundanes*...oooooo, imagine it.... ::sly smile::

Ta,

Dawn.

20. bradsidious

Mar 4, 2002
    Then let me be the first on the board to say,
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!! ::Sounding like Frosty the snowman::, to both lightsaber11 and QuiDawnJinn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All the best and have fun! You're young so, soak it up!! bradsidious

21. bradsidious

Mar 4, 2002
    Hey lightsaber11, I'll be 28 yrs in 17 days!!
    bradsidious

22. Lightsaber11

Lightsaber11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2001
    Thank you Dawn and Brad, that was awesome. I get very little in the way of happy birthdays from people I know, but to know that people I've never actually met are wishing me one is a super nice feeling. Happy Birthday yourself Dawn, I hope your brunch went well. I've been milking today for all its worth, as per your advice, and I'll probably just relax and watch movies tonight so as to fend off the last of this hangover. Ordering pizza and I've rented movies.

At any rate, I'm obviously interested in meeting up for coffee, and I'm available lots, after 6:30 on most days. So just post up and we'll organize something. Once again, thank you, that means a lot.

May The Force Be With You,
    All of you,

Lightsaber11
    Nolan

23. bradsidious

Mar 4, 2002
    That sounds nice. I took today off to see the trailer on the official site, so I've had 4...count 'em '4' days off!!! But it's back to it tommorrow. Happy Birthday again and enjoy the trailer... it's almost like George Lucas is releasing a gift. HUH-HUH?!
    Sorry if that last bit was a stretch too far.
    bradsidious

24. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    Well, Ep. II has to be better than a good portion of Ep. I, right? :) At least it's a love story and not a kiddie adventure this time around. :) Happy belated birthday, Qui-Dawn and Lightsaber11!

As for meeting, how about a week from now, Monday, March 18, 7:00 p.m. at Cafe de Lune (upstairs, if possible) on Douglas and Pandora? (If the 18th doesn't work for everyone, I propose an alternate date of Wednesday, March 20th, same time and place. Please confirm on this board if you can attend on the 18th.)

Topics for discussion should include, I think:

- Talking about ourselves, and getting aquainted,

- Plans for the line-up for Ep.II, from simply working out a start time and loose shift schedule or going as far as a party for the whole line-up, media involvement, theatre support...what do we want to do and how far do we want to go?

- FanForce membership: do we want to remain a small, private group of aquaintences, or do we want to form an official chapter? If the latter, do we want to schedule two more meetings/activities before Ep.II debuts? (Might make the theatre more cooperative, dealing with an "official" fan club chapter.)

- (If we decide to pursue Fanforce membership) A vote on whether Brasidious should be sent to L.A. as our official Senator-Representative (read: spy). This would obviously require Brad's solemn oath to not change his name to Bradpalpatine and elect himself Chancellor of Campbell River. :D

- Group/FF club future projects: Fanfilms, costumes, conventions, etc. What are we working on as individuals, and how can we help each other?

- Scheduling our next meet, before we all go home from this one. :)

If anyone has any other ideas for what we can talk about, please speak up...I'm only suggesting a meeting time and date because someone has to, and a rough agenda makes sense to me. :)

So, that said, I can be there either day, but I prefer March 18th. What about the rest of you?

- Rani

25. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Fragt Rani:

> As for meeting, how about a week from now, Monday, March 18, 7:00 p.m. at Cafe de Lune (upstairs, if possible) on Douglas and
    Pandora?

Looks like somebody's even organised! I like the idea of a sooner date, although I can't confirm whether I can make either the 18 or the 20, as I'd *like* to be out of the country that week... but if my Spring Break plans fall through, I'll be there with bells on!

I like the agenda, Rani, good idea, so we can start formulkating ideas and responses well before hand, which may prevent all the usual awkward pauses when a groupof strangers meets for the first time. :)

I'd like to add the brainstorming of possible names for our chapter, (if we decide to go that direction) to the agenda.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

*Derisa*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.