main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Recomended way to watch the entire saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Pimpsy, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    Only because we care! It's a vicious circle.

2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    My point is, "most people" often means "some fans".

Honestly, before I started looking up SW discussions on the Inernet, I had no idea that Luke is, apparently, "whiny", and all because of just one line in ANH! (actually, he complains a lot on Dagobah as well).

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    One line?

"But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!"
    "It just isn’t fair. Oh, Biggs is right. I’m never gonna get out of here!"
    "But it's a whole 'nother year..."
    "Looks like I'm going nowhere..."
    "What a piece of junk!"

And yes, he pretty much does nothing but complain on Dagobah.

4. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    That's the line that's usually mentioned.

Oh, the irony of fans whining about characters whining...

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    My point was that he whinges a fair bit more than just that one line.

6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I say watch it 6-1-6-1 then watch 2-5....

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I didn't even know that Anakin was whiny until people started whining about it on JC.

"I don't understand"
    /LM

8. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I wrote in another thread, I hadn't known Luke was whiny until I joined Internets in lat 90s. Don't get me wrong, I love Internet (heck, it provides a living for me), but sometimes cynicism and nitpicking gets to me.

9. honeybadger

honeybadger Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    I've found that the best way to watch them is in my underwear with a bunch of beer and snacks. Preferably on a Sunday from about 10am.

10. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Yunners likes this.
  11. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Watch the saga in any order that you prefer. There is no correct way.

12. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    FWIW, I watched the entire saga with my ex's preteen daughter and some of her friends over the course of a weekend (for a sleepover party). We watched the saga in episode order, on DVD (this was way before Blu-ray). It was my ex's choice, not mine. None of the kids had seen a Star Wars movie before. But, based on that experience, I've become a fervent supporter of the chapter order (123456), and my respect for Lucas as a storyteller has grown immensely. The saga works really, really well that way—much better than I had previously assumed it would.

13. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    That gladdens me to read! I had a similar experience when I watched the movies I-VI in one day after a long Star Wars hiatus.
    The story opened up to me in a way that I didn't expect and it made the Saga so much better. The Anakin arc became very clear and brought the story together beautifully. I could really see his face behind the mask of Vader and, after having just experienced ROTS, I felt the danger of this emotionally labile wreck of a man going after Luke in TESB. Vader no longer felt like a separate character - He was now merely a very tragic part of Anakin's journey.
    I never had a problem with the Hayden ghost, but with the Saga viewed this way, the benefits of his appearance became clearer than ever. Overall, ROTJ wrapped it all up really well!
    I'm very curious about the third trilogy and how it's going to work in relation to the previous two.

"I've taken my first step into a larger world"
    /LM

14. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    All girls, I assume? What did they think about the romance? :)

Count Yubnub likes this.
  15. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Four girls, one boy. I don't remember any comments about the romance specifically. But I do remember some of the girls agreeing that Anakin was far cuter than Luke or Han. :)

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  16. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Sorry double post

17. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    LOL. I like watching movies with preteens. They're not cynical and don't notice the flaws we do.

18. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    I've watched the Saga from beginning to end (1-6) a dozen times at this point, but there's no way to erase the fact that I've seen the original trilogy many times before seeing any of the prequel movies. It would be interesting to watch the Star Wars movies like that without having seen any of them. Story wise, of course, watching them in order makes sense. But I imagine episodes 4-6 would be a bit of a let down (in terms of light saber battles, special effects, etc) after seeing 1-3 if you're a first time viewer. I suppose the prequel trilogy would be all the more better if you had no idea of what was to happen to Anakin, the Jedi, and the Republic, but the prequel movies were made for an audience that already knew all this, so episodes 1-3 will probably always be seen as a "this is how Anakin turned" trilogy after the fact rather than a true introduction to the franchise.

19. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I know exactly what you're saying. The trick is to watch them with preteens (they are the target audience for these movies to begin with), and experience the story through their reactions.

A little, but it didn't seem too distracting.

See, that was the part that really made me change my mind. I had previous thought about the "ideal viewing order," but I had never taken the 123456 chapter order seriously because I was very much married to not spoiling Vader's reveal that he's Luke's father. But seeing Anakin turn to the dark side and what's happening to the Jedi is a far more intense and far-reaching plot twist than that, and I previously hadn't been able to distance myself from that fact that I already knew the outcome, having seen the OT so many times already. Furthermore, Vader revealing he's Luke's father remains somewhat of a plot twist, it just becomes more of an "OMG, he's finally told him!" moment, so it still very much has an emotional impact. Also, the ending of the saga seems to work even better when you've first seen Anakin's fall. So I kind of doubt that the movies were made for an audience that already knew this, given how well they work in chapter order.

One thing I have to admit though: ROTS is really intense when you're not expecting the main character to turn evil like Anakin does. The kids I watched it with were really very shocked, but I think they could deal with that (I think...). I'm not sure if younger children can, though.

20. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, ROTS is just plain intense. I knew what was gonna happen to Anakin, and I even knew the Jedi weren't gonna be there in Episode 4 but... Episode III is a movie where EVERYBODY DIES.

21. hanshotfirst87

hanshotfirst87 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2011
    I think 451236 is the best way for seasoned vets like we all are. It starts at the first real film and ends on a high note I love it that way. Plus it gives the PT a kinda flashback to see if Vader was lying feel.

22. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Seriously, every time I watch the Ruminations scene I wanna scream at Anakin: "Stay put you fool!".

Well yes, either literally or figuratively (changing their identity, hiding in exile). The whole Republic dies too.

23. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    *shakes head* The worst part about this idea is that it destroys the original trilogy. The trilogies are like six-hour movies in themselves. Especially the original trilogy.

24. hanshotfirst87

hanshotfirst87 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2011
    Not if the intention is to watch the saga as a saga, technically it's one long story. Not saying that is best way altogether just for mixing it up. My most watched method is OT then PT though I mostly watch 4 5 and 1 lol

25. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    i am renting all six films from my local library for free... free borrowing of the DVDs or even Blue Ray copies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.