main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return of the King

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by JAKEFETT, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Salon.com is widely known to be full of crap.

PS: The Vikings suck. :)

2. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    You smell funny and are not very smart.

Jeff

3. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    I still stand by my opinion because LOTR is a better trilogy than Episode I, II and the upcoming III could ever be. Besides, I'm only comparing LOTR to Episode I & II, not the classic trilogy, and I see that she is only comparing the classic trilogy to LOTR...so what does that tell you of her opinion of I & II (see her one comment about TPM)??? Hmmmmm....

PS Jean Tang (who wrote the article at salon.com) needs to rewatch ANH because it was Tarkin, not Vader, who gave the order to destroy Alderaan. Sheessh!

4. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I totally respect your opinion that you like LoTR better than the SW saga. I think we all get that. But I also get the feeling you want to argue about it. Can't really argue about liking something more than something else. I'm glad you like the films. I'm glad they inspire you. Other than that, I'm not sure what else there is to say without bashing the films and each other and that just never goes well.

Anyway,

m

ps - Tom doesn't smell

5. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Yes I do. I'm unemployed and I haven't showered in two days.

6. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    **laughs**
    I sure hope you take a shower when you go to those interviews then, Tom. Oh, by the way...if you know that you smell why haven't you taken a shower then? ;)

7. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I showered for the interview of course, but I haven't had to leave the house since.

8. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    No more comments...except ever been on a debate team?

9. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Poor Dawn. She has to put up with you not showering, Tom.

I've always wanted to be on a debate team. They never had one at my high school.

10. JediJoeMadman

JediJoeMadman Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2004
    Easily the best of the three. I never read the books so I did not know what to expect and I'm glad for it. LOTR is defintiely one of my favorite film series of all time,(Following SW and Indiana Jones)

11. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    11 nominations...11 Oscars!! :) Finally recognition for a film (and trilogy) that deserves it! At least now Ben Hur has a film worthy to stand beside it (I do not consider Titanic worthy of that honor).

Anyone read the article in Cue on Sunday? Sixty minutes will be added back into the extended version encompassing over 300 effects.

12. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Wow! 60 minutes! A whole hour! No wonder that ending was choppy. I can't wait for the extended edition.

13. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    I guess I have some problems with it earning so many. It really wasn't the best edited and it definitely didn't have the best song. As Jason said last night "The fix is on".

Now, I understand a lot of it was given for the trilogy as a whole, and that's why I can accept it winning best picture, but I just can't accept it as an 11 award film.

But, Leslie, I think we definitely agree on one thing - Titanic does *NOT* deserve to stand next to (or within a parsec of) Ben Hur or the LOTR trilogy.

I guess all in all, I'm happy to see something sci-fi/fantasy win an award even if it was a little suspicious.

Jeff

14. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    I liked the LOTR trilogy and will watch it over and over. I am not going to argue about which is better because it is like comparing apples and oranges in my opinion. Both serve their entertainment purposes and which I choose depends on my mood. I don't expect alot from Episode III based on the scripts of Episodes I and II. George can never repeat his success in the original trilogy and needn't try. The problem probably is that he waited too long to finish the story and our expectations have changed from what they would have been in the 80's or 90's. I want him to finish the story and look forward the the filler books that will come out to finish the story. He can do fill in the blanks in the script that way. This was not possible with LOTR because the script was not an origial work. I enjoy the movies more each time as I read the prequel novels which clarify some issues that were not addressed in the movies. I am just happy to have both series to enjoy and will continue to be a fan of both.

15. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Titanic blows. I think LOTR deserved every Oscar it has received. It's getting the respect for every Sci-Fi/ Fantasy movie that's been screwed in the past.

16. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    Here, here. And rightly so.

17. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I'm sorry, but none of the LOTR films are Oscar material. They don't deserve such prestigious awards any more than Star Wars does.

18. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Although I tend to agree with you, I'm almost certain you're being sarcastic in some way.

Ah well, whatever.

19. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Actually, I'm not.

20. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    Tom-

I've seen your reactions to the movies and I really don't see how you can justify this. Before I respond you're going to have to back your statement up.

Are you saying none of the films deserve ANY Oscars, or ROTK didn't deserve best picture?

Sunday's Oscars were certainly awarded to the trilogy as a whole rather than simply ROTK.

21. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Okay, they deserve special effects and makeup Oscars at best. Sci-fi and fantasy movies are practically hand made for those kinds of awards.

I just don't understand why such movies would be nominated for best picture. It's no Citizen Kane. It's no Godfather.

Yeah, I like LOTR a whole lot, but that doesn't mean I think it's Oscar material.

22. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    Hmmmm...

Well, I have no idea what makes a movie "Oscar worthy". To me the oscars (especially best picture) are mainly a reflection of what the most popular movie was for that year. Look no farther than Titanic for proof of that. If this were not the case the oscars would be more of a "Sundance Film Fest" type of feel. The movies that would win would no doubt be good, but 90% of the public would never have heard of them. This year I think the "best picture" was certainly popular AND definately had the "artistic quality" needed to have a shot at best picture. I think these two elements combined to make it a shoe-in for the best picture oscar.

Personally, my favorite movies or the ones that move me emotionaly. LOTR and specifically ROTK had a tremendous emotional affect on me, so in my mind it wins hands down.

23. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    I enjoyed the LOTR trilogy. I watched the films without ever having read any of the books on which they were based (my choice). The movies were excellent, not only in their technical achievement, but also in their presentation of an incredibly detailed story.

All of these arguements really boil down to personal preference. I know some people who absolutely can't stand space-stuff, and therefore have never seen any Star Wars film. Okay, that's their choice. I also know some people who can't stand fantasy, and would have to be tranqualized in order to get them to see any LOTR film. Some people liked the story better in the SW trilogy. Cool. Some people liked the effects and visuals better in the LOTR trilogy. That's cool too.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the LOTR movies, none of them moved me as much as the original SW trilogy did. I think a lot of that had to do with I was 3 at the time of SW:ANH's release, where I was 27 at the time of Fellowship's release. I was (obviously) older and a lot more weary of the world. That being said, I do like the story in LOTR much better than the one in SW. But, nothing will ever move me as the original SW trilogy did. As for the prequels, they're fun and interesting to me, but I never had any expectation of re-living what I did when I was a kid. I think it's ridiculous for people to expect anyone to recapture the feelings of a phenomenon that had much of it's impact because of its originality. I've said this before many times: The original trilogy of SW was what is was because it had never been done before.

As for the Oscars, well, many of you in this discussion know how I feel about that. Now-a-days the Oscar race doesn't necessarily have to do with the best of the best as much as it does with who has the strongest campaign (kinda like politics). Not many people think about how the release date of a picture has an effect on the voters of the Academy. The later in the year a picture is released, the better chance it has of doing well at the Academy Awards.

I agree with Jeff mostly. Best picture? Compared to the competition, yes. (The Academy is known for giving the award to epic pictures, not little indie-like films. Sure, there has been the rare exception, but most of the time the Best Pic nod goes to a really big film.) Best Director? A big yes. Best editing? NO!!! My GOD NO!!! Best song? HECK NO!!! (I still get teary-eyed at "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow.") I think many of the awards picked up by ROTK on Sunday were really a reflection of the trilogy as a whole, not as an individual picture. Kinda pissed me off, but whatever.

All in all, it's all a matter of opinion.

24. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    Well, ok, my 1 cent worth here...(Yes, one cent since I'm not gonna say a whole lot)...but, personally, I love Into the West. I think it totally deserved the Oscar. That song everytime I hear really envokes such emotion for me. I can see the film's ending in my mind, Frodo's farewell smile, etc. But, it also brings to mind people I've known and lost, for some reason. Anyway, I'm very happy that they won and I think they deserve it.

On another note, though it wasn't released till after the Oscars and all, or well, for Oscar time, whatever, there is only one film that truly is worthy and left me completely in awe is Mel Gibson's The Passion. This is a truly moving film, very powerful and not scifi, not fantasy not fiction. But very much fact and it was an experience.

25. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    I thought The Passion was fantasy. Hm. My bad. (KIDDING)

I agree with Catie, Oscar does have more to do with politics now than with quality. Example: Denzel Washington winning best actor for Training Day? Get real... I don't think he's a bad actor, but that certainly wasn't an oscar worthy role. But, then again, picking anyone else wouldn't have fit with that years' theme (Sidney Poitier winning lifetime achievement, Halle Berry winning Best Actor - which, BTW, I figure they both deserved ESPECIALLY Mr. Poitier).

I also personally think best picture does not necessarily belong to the most popular movie of the year and I think it maybe should have gone to Lost in Translation this year, but what do I know? I just think that installment 2 and 3 of LOTR were based mostly on action and not much on character and there were several other movies over the last 3 years that were based more on character and had stronger stories.

Best director to Jackson? Yeah, he deserved something, but all three of those movies were not the best in their years by a long shot.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.