main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Revival of the Fan Art Forum

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ADONIAH32, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Please! Someone reply and tell me your thoughts. As I said before, I REFUSE to let this thread be buried.

2. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Are non-Star Wars art allowed too?

3. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    I think since it is "Fan Art" we prefer Star Wars, but why not come and visit? Show off some of your work?

It all boils down to intimidation. I am convinced now that because we never really took the time to represent ourselves properly, that we have made everyone afraid to post in the forum.

4. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    My 2 cents . .

It's true, until recently there hasn't been a lot of action in the Fan Art Forum. But it has picked up in the last couple of weeks. I've been posting more thanks to the presence of a someone who's work I greatly admire (the talended BalinakaBaroness). And due to certain new threads, I think that the situation will improve in the future. What the place needed more than anything else is a sense of community, and I think we're on our way to acheiving it.

But I do NOT think that the Fan Art Forum should be combined with any other forum. This would not have the affect of bringing new people into the fold, it would do the exact opposite: it would KILL the Fan Art forum.

Look, the bottom line is that most of the people who post there are artists. This is a much smaller group of people than say OT fans, or Fan Fiction fans. This is primarily a place FOR artists and unfortunately that a very small piece of the Star Wars fan base.

Another thing I am against is fan art contests, at least in conjunction with the Fan Art Forum. But this is purely persoanl: I feel that competition and creativity should not be combined in a place where community is the focus. It would only serve to turn friends into competitiors and would take away from the desire to share ideas and opinions in a valuable and constructive way.

On a different note . .

Can anyone tell me if I have somehow been banned by the Fan Art Section at TheForce.net. I have submitted many images recently and have not received so much as a reply, much less had them posted on the Fan Art page.

A while back, there was a major overhaul done with regard to the "Featured Artists". Many of us had our galleries deleted in a house cleaning session, and this came as a great shock to some. As a final note, this may have had some effect of the morale of fan artists who had previously participated in the Fan Art forum. I know MY fragile ego was a bit bruised when my gallery bit the dust. :D

Just an observation.

And, once again, just MY 2 cents.

-Otis

5. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Adoniah is right, we are barely hangin' by a thread, folks.

We artists have grown recently, though. There are now maybe 10...that's right...10 regulars that post there. If that. A few months ago, there were less. Including myself, maybe about half that.

We really need support over there. Yes, we want digital art as well! It's a great community we've developed over there, and I hate to see it go to waste.

We are fortunate enough to have the talents of Otis Frampton, Mojome, Adoniah, and many more down there. Here are some samples:

Otis Frampton:

[image=http://www.otisframpton.com/The-Count4.jpg]

[image=http://www.otisframpton.com/Kaminopolitan_3.jpg]

(Mojome's stuff is temporarily unavailable)

Well, my bashful self has some confidence [face_blush]:

http://www.angelfire.com/art/jabachile7/sketches/EpIIIAni.html

http://www.angelfire.com/art/jabachile7/sketches/Obi.html

Please, anyone, come down and help save the Fan Art Forum! Keep up the good work, Adoniah!

6. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    I think there is a lot more there than people think. Maybe people think that all we do is just talk about techniques, when really we are trying to form a sense of community there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.