main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTS fastest to $300 million

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Darth_Patton00, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    This is a great day for Star Wars. ROTS has broken Shrek 2's fastest to $300 million box office record! of 18 days! ROTS did it in 17 days.
    All right! now on to $400 million! mwa haha!

2. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Are we confident of $400m? I noticed some good crowds 2.5 weeks later. :)

3. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    well, I'm pretty sure it'll make $400 million. But the record is definitely still a wide open topic. The record, held by Shrek 2 again, is 43 days. Since this is its 18th day, we have 25 days to make $92 million dollars. That's 3 weekends after today. So...I think it could do it. Everybody go watch it again!

4. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    Im going to watch it today(with 2 people coming with me) so that may help

5. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    It will do it.

6. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Wow, the 17 days after the movie went by a heck of a lot faster than the last seventeen days of waiting for it.

7. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    They are only records, ones which will be broken. I'm happy about the way the film came out. Anyway good news.

-Seldon

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, we'll need to wait until the actual figures come in on Monday to be certain...ROTS was overestimated by about $750k last weekend, and in this case it would be the difference between getting that Fastest to $300m record in 17 days, and tieing it with Shrek 2 at 18 days. It's that close.

And for the $400m target...it's still definitely not a done deal.

Let's use Shrek 2 again as an example.
    It reached the $400m by its 43rd day, smashing the previous record set by Titanic and equalled by Spiderman of 66 days. Surely with such a big lead like that it could easily break the $500m record next and then sink the Titanic a second time?

Over the rest of its run, Shrek 2 'only' managed about another $41m.

Just getting to a certain level the fastest most definitely does not automatically mean you're gonna reach the next level the fastest as well...you may not reach it at all!

Let's just wait to see how it goes, and basically - be happy with anything from this point on. ROTS is set to easily finish at least the 3rd highest grossing film of the Saga. It's blasted past ESB, and will pass both AOTC and ROTJ this Monday, a mere 19 days after its release.

For any more detailed box office conversation, feel free to visit the Box Office Thread over in the ROTS Forum ;)

9. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    what is the exact record anyway

10. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Which one?

$300m - Shrek 2, 18 days (ROTS may have done it in 17).
    $400m - Shrek 2, 43 days.
    $500m - Titanic...not sure of the days, but it's the only one to reach $500m.

11. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    It may get $400, but sadly I do not see it beating Titanic. It is a summer movie and more movies are coming out that are gonna take the audience away from Star Wars.

Batman
    War of the Worlds
    Fantastic 4.

Titanic had very little competition in its winter release. I think there was a Bond movie that came out if you call that competition, but other than that I do not think there was anything

12. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    But they are going to rerelease rots, which will add a spike to the movies take

I could see it doing 75 mil in nov

also did titanic never have a great weekend, just solid weekend after solid weekend?

13. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Weekend actuals $25,088,336 -54.6%
    Total US gross - $307,892,961 (new 16, 17, and 18-day record, new Fastest to $300m record)

Okay, you can all celebrate now ;)
    It had $300.3m on the Saturday, so it's got the new record :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.