main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Scotland's Pub

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by PadawanSDM, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
  2. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    tl, dr

Yosh can do it.

3. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I could make one, but I don't have a great deal of time at the moment :(

A made one for the DC FF a while back (well, years ago now), and I'm pretty sure I could do a better job given the time.

http://boards.theforce.net/Washington,_DC/b10114/ <-- thats the banner I created, and it's still being used today.

4. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    we really must get something done..... I'll maybe consult the 'meanies webmeister guy and see what he can concoct....

// clicks on Malkie's link

oh look, that where that muffin baker Strawbary lives..... how lovely.

5. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    well, as a girl I used to know often said, 'Its Hump Day' !

although that was because she saw wednesday as the 'hump' in the middle of the week, and therefore it was downhill all the way to friday...... rather than any more interesting reason linked to her personal habits.....

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I made the customizations for the KC Fanforum. That would be this one. Like Malkie, though, I'm not sure I'd have the time. But mostly, I'm sure you want a real Scot not some halfbreed Scottish American to do it ;) But if whoever wants to do it needs help, I'd be glad to lend a hand.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    you know, I have campaigned hard to get St Andrew's day recognised by the JC, but with no luck :(

8. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    The Irish get all tthe attention...

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Thats cos there are loads of Irish in America, and America controls what Holidays we get

10. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Just a quick point - Yoshee is away for the weekend, so yours truely is watching over the boards in his absence.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

11. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    *shivers in fear*

Big Malkie the Hutt!

12. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I ate a baby once.
    That's right, the other, other white meat.

13. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    And you call yourself a good mod? How can anyone get away with eating a baby, of all thing?

14. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    What type of baby was it?

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Eh everyone, I might be going up to Edinburgh for a weekend this June. I'm in London about a week and I don't want to miss the opportunity, especially since I've been to London before. Also, I'm going to have been to N. Ireland and Wales, and missing out on my (in theory) favourite part of the UK would be criminal.

So anyone have suggestions about things to see, places to eat, stay, etc?

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ah, come on, guys. Suggestions? Anyone? Bueller?

-sj loves kevin spacey[/hl

17. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    Edinburgh?

:(

I know absolutely nothing about Edinburgh, 'mfraid. Y'ought to go to Glasgow. :D

18. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    edinburger, where I have just been working, this very morning, is a city of touristic delight, with a castle, and cobbled streets, and accompanied historical walks, and ancient pubs, with loads and loads and loads of foreign students working behind the bars.

find the Royal Mile for history, the Cowgate for pubs, and Lothian Road for food.

19. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    *cough* Grass market for pubs *cough*

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah because you know me, big drinker that I am ;) I suppose it's useless asking about good food... so my previous time in the UK has taught me. I would like to try haggis, though, but have no idea where that would be safe. Or if haggis can ever *really* be considered safe anyway.

I think one day we are going to take a drive up north, not quite to Perth, then come down through Stirling and Bannockburn. History and all that.

My dad keeps asking if they speak English in Scotland. He seems worried [face_laugh].

-sj loves kevin spacey

21. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    Ooh, Stirling's great.

When is this trip again?

22. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    haggis not safe ?????

just imagine me slapping my virtual forehead in frustration here......

my job ? I'm a food and farming writer, for Scotland's biggest newspaper group.
    I've covered every food safety scare in the last decade in detail, and I can assure you that there is NOTHING unsafe about haggis. Not a jot.

Its a mixture of sheep's heart, pepper and oatmeal, often wrapped in a bit of stomach. But that makes it sound much much more daunting than it actually is....... its really just a tasty savoury mince.

Compared to the lips,tits and testicles that are included in the burgers americans eat every day, haggis is a healthy and scrupulously high quality food.

Edinburgh restaurants ? the Apartment is very very good for steaks and stuff, and should have a haggis starter of some sort on the menu.

23. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    Allow me to disagree.
    Haggis is a delicacy! =P~

24. Darth_Allardyce

Darth_Allardyce Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2004
    Haggis is at it's best when deep fried in batter

25. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    Talk about timing and the mention of Stirling...

Oh I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm a silly American fellow from the grand city of Boston, Massachusetts. I'll be studying over in Scotland for the next academic year and wanted to just say a friendly hello to other Star Wars fans like myself. We may live in different countries but our love for a galaxy far far away is one thing we have in common!

Ah yes, the University of Stirling is my ultimate destination. I'm a little bit up on the school and the country but in the long run I suppose not really. Maybe some of you Scots can clue me in on what I should know so I can be on top of my game and ahead of any other silly Americans coming over ;)

I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time in your fair country and the plane can't come soon enough.

Hopefully be seeing you all around here more. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.