main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph SFF Horror Books

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NYCitygurl, Oct 30, 2011.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    In the spirit of Halloween [face_pumpkin]

There are SFF horror writers (Stephen King comes to mind). Does anyone like their writing? Share some of your favorites with us!

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I like some of King's stuff, but not the Dark Tower books. I liked Cell but I passed on the Dome paperback. I might check out his new one about JFK when it's out though. It depends on the story with his books.

Shaun Hutson is pretty good as well. I tend to go more on subject matter than author. And I'm a fan of the gory police mystery/thriller. Some of those cross over into horror given the amount of blood.

3. Lord_Volz

Lord_Volz Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2002
    I'm a big fan of King. I like Bag of Bones, Lisey's Story, Misery, and some others of his a lot.

4. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Dean Koonz has some good ones out there, and TickTock quailifies as SF, Horror, and Farce, all nicely wrapped together.

And there's the Kitty Norville series

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I go hot and cold on Koontz the same I do with King. It depends more on the storyline.

6. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    I noticed the same thing, only I never really got into any of King's stuff. The basic stories (and usually movies) are OK, but I never liked the writing.

I also run into that with Alan Dean Foster.

7. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Can't believe we didn't mention Lovecraft. Several of his stories are science-based horror.