main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Thank you for breaking everybody else's brains with this.:(

Random Comments likes this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    What is wrong with you.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Tumblr is a dark and scary place. :(

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm quite glad to avoid it unless linked to something decent there... which is a rarity.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    My eeeeyyyyeeeessss!

I agree with yankee. Hound was okay, but it wan't nearly as good as the other episodes of series 2. Which won't stop me from watching it a million times :p

yankee8255 likes this.
  6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    In other news, Vinnie Jones was awesome in Elementary.

7. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I kinda want to watch Elementary but feel like I'd be cheating on Sherlock.

NYCitygurl and yankee8255 like this.
  8. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I only saw the pilot and it was so bland and boring that I decided not to waste my time watching the rest of it.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ugh, hal, I regret to inform you that you are dead to me. Don't give in, Rachel. I saw the pilot at Comic Con, and it couldn't even hold my attention for one episode. It's not a Sherlock Holmes show. It's literally just another boring, unintelligent CSI edition that they slapped some famous character names on. I can't imagine two more boring portrayals of interesting people than Miller and Liu give.

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Chris and I most emphatically agree with Rachel on this issue!!!

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    More than anything, my loathing of Lucy Liu makes it a certainty that I'll never watch.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I saw a little bit of the episode with Vinnie Jones, but he didn't seem to be talking at all which made me sad so I stopped watching.

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Which one? :(

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    If anything the Sherlock in Elementary more resembles Dr. House than the source material. I haven't watched much, but I hear it gets better after the first episodes.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And wasn't House based off of the Sherlock Holmes mythos in the first place?

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, I think that was his point. But at least House is played by Hugh Laurie who can make the character interesting and entertaining in spite of how boring and formulaic the show itself is.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    If your reasoning for not watching Elementary is "It's not as good as Sherlock", then your reasoning is flawed.

I don't look on it as "Sherlock Holmes". I look on it as a detective show where the lead character has serious flaws. And on that premise, I find it quite engaging. Miller is superb, and the stories are well-written.

Plus it's always good to see Aidan Quinn.

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Seeing as I posted it immediately after sj's post (which I also liked), I thought it was obvious that I meant her. But yeah, I probably should've used her username. :p

Then why call the main characters "Holmes" and "Watson", if they bear no resemblance to the original characters at all? (And this has nothing to do with their decision to make Watson female. In fact, I would've preferred a version in which BOTH Sherlock and Watson are women, if it was well-written and well-acted. At least that wouldn't have looked like a blatant copy of "Sherlock".)

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No, my reasoning for not watching Elementary is that it's not a good show, period. It's the same reason I don't watch CSI, NCIS... any of the other generic, awful CBS crime shows. It's really boring and cliche and aimed at people who are 60 years old and only want to see the same stories over and over. It's not at all interesting to me and it's not very good writing or acting. It has nothing to do with my feelings about Sherlock. I've been lambasting CSI for many years prior to them starting a Baker Street edition of it.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  20. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    You are of course entitled to your opinion. But I don't think that you can say " it's not a good show, period", "It's really boring and cliche and aimed at people who are 60 years old and only want to see the same stories over and over", or "it's not very good writing or acting" after just one episode.

But it's your call. Doesn't bother me in the slightest if others don't want to watch it, or give it a fair chance. :)

21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The differences between Sherlock and Elementary can be shown just by looking at how they are being distributed in my country:

Sherlock: Named "New Sherlock", played on a commercial-free government-owned channel with BBC stuff like Poirot, Marple and HBO series
    Elementary: Named "Holmes NYC", played on a channel with american series, commercials, reality-tv and lifestyle shows

EDIT: No, I can't do this judging before seeing. It begins tomorrow, I'm going to watch at least the first episode.

halibut and Mar17swgirl like this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The whole point of CBS procedurals is that the episodes are all basically the same as every crime procedural they've ever done. Because their viewership doesn't like change, they don't like to be challenged and they certainly don't want a show that focuses on characters. The Good Wife is the only exception to this on CBS for twenty years. I know CBS and how its execs work more than well enough to know that I would absolutely loathe watching any more than I already did.

23. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Heresy here:

I've seen Elementary. It's actually a pretty good show. If it wasn't for Sherlock, everybody would be saying that it was worth watching.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Why? No one says that about CSI. For good reason.

25. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Good, interesting performances from Holmes, Watson, and the always-enjoyable Aidan Quinn, better-than-average writing and storylines, intriguing take on the Holmes mythos.

halibut likes this.