main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should Darth Maul have lived?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthanku, Sep 18, 2004.

1. darthanku

darthanku Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    well i just saw t.p.m. for the millionth time and asked my self darth maul a very pathetic way,should he have died on naboo?i mean he oblivously saw obi-wan jump slowly out of danger and could have saved himself by blocking the stomach attack.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Panesar

Panesar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2004
    Darth Maul should never have died. In my opinion it should have went like this:
    Darth Maul kills Qui Gon and flees Obi Wan
    He returns in ATOC and fights along side Dooku against Anakin and Obi
    Finally, Maul, Dooku, Greivious, Vader and Sidious should have had a final show down against Plo Koon, Mace, Ki Adi, Obi and Yoda.
    Jedi loose, Yoda and Obi escape. Leaving the sith. Vader and Sidious then betray the rest and kill Maul, Dooku and Greivious.

But off course looking at the story now i'm way off.

So, in my opinion. No, he shouldn't have died.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    He served his purpose, IMO.

SerRoel likes this.
  4. Crow_T_Robot

Crow_T_Robot Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 2002
    Panesar: "Always two there are. No more, no less."

5. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    One of the main difficulties with the PT is that it's purpose is to further the storyline to where the OT begins - because of this Lucas can't have too many villains running around only to abruptly kill them all off in the last minutes of Episode III to fit ANH. I think Maul's death had to happen to make way for Dooku and Palpatine/Sidious, plus Vader of course. ;)

6. darthanku

Sep 8, 2004
    well if (of course he already died) he died,then he should of died some other way.he did die a pathetic way.have to admit.because what obi did was very slowly push himself up then sliced down in the middle of maul.he could have blocked it.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    "Slowly"? he was fast as hell!

8. darthanku

Sep 8, 2004
    he was really slow coming out of that hole and darth maul could easily block that attack!

9. darthanku

Sep 8, 2004
    besides,obi_wan was not fast as hell.i would have to say that he was fast enough to get out but to slow for darth maul to start attacking again!!!

10. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    Nope. Id have rather had Maul remain Sideous' apprentice until Anakin could take him out. Dooku does nothing for me.
    On another note do the banners in this part of the baords (TPM) never change?

11. Ryloth_bounty_hunter

Ryloth_bounty_hunter Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2003
    Yes, least favorite character. :p

12. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Darth Maul was impressive. But I think he did all he could do. It was important to see how the great Obi-Wan Kenobi that we knew from the Original Trilogy became a Jedi Knight and so Maul was used for that purpose, I think.

13. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I think the fact that people so badly want more Darth Maul shows how succesful Lucas was in creating the character. If he'd survived and ended up in AOTC then maybe he wouldnt be much of a fan favourite.

14. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    I love Darth Maul but I like the idea of him dying in that it parallels what happens in Episode IV. I can't take credit for this following illustration because I saw it in another thread on another board, so whoever thought this up, thanks!

Episode I - Darth Maul dies leaving Sidious by himself.
    Episode IV - Obi-wan dies leaving Luke by himself.

Episode II - Dooku is now Sidious' apprentice.
    Episode V - Yoda is now Luke's master.

Episode III - No spoilers here, but come on, we all know what happens.
    Episode VI - Yoda dies, leaving Luke and Leia as the last Jedi.

In the prequel trilogy, Sidious keeps losing his apprentices and in the classic trilogy, Luke keeps losing his masters. It's also funny to see the "rule of two" unofficially being used by the Jedi to defeat the Sith, the same way the Sith used it to defeat the Jedi.

15. darthanku

Sep 8, 2004
    well i am saying is that mual was so cool i think he should have stayed.

16. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Yes, he should've died. He fulfilled the functions for which he was created. There was no need to keep him around.

TPM: "Darth Maul needed depth. We should've been told about his motivations, his backstory, etc."

AOTC: "Giving Boba Fett a backstory totally ruins his mystique. He was so much cooler when we knew nothing about him."

Valairy Scot likes this.
  17. Shiro

Shiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2004
    I always liked the idea of Darth Maul somehow escaping then returning in AOTC as sort of a rival for Obi-Wan....then again, what do I know? =P~

Sitara and SithStarSlayer like this.
  18. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    jerome is correct, in tpm we needed to see how skilled Obi-Wan is in handling a lightsaber, so what better way then a Sith, who is talented enough to kill off Jedi. The same applies to aotc, where we have to see just how far Anakin is developing his skills. As w/ much of the pt, episode iii will be the payoff.

Lee_ likes this.
  19. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    As much as I love Maul and all. He had to die in order for Obi-Wan to train Anakin and so he could become a Jedi Knight.

20. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    I personally think that if they were gonna get rid of a character that early in the series, get rid of Dooku and keep Maul. He just seemed so much more deadly and intimidating.

21. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Yes he should of died but he deserved a decent death...which he didn't get.

22. YPL

YPL Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2004
    I think he should have, but get a funny image trying to image Maul uniting the Sepertists in AOTC.

23. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    I personally think that if they were gonna get rid of a character that early in the series, get rid of Dooku and keep Maul. He just seemed so much more deadly and intimidating.

Maul was all brawn and no brain. He would've never been able to replace Dooku in Palp's schemes. He died because of his over confidence. Just look at the fight. He focus's on Qui Gon, ingnoring Obi wan as if to say "I'm to good to fight a Padawan" and that's exactly what got him killed. He would not have been a good leader and that's what Palp's needs to have his plot come off.

24. STRIKE

STRIKE Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2004
    He is unique to Episode I which is a good thing in a way, cause there's not a lot people like about the film. Personaly I think it's a cool film

25. Clear_Water

Clear_Water Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2004
    In a perfect world, George would've written all 3 at once - the whole big battle would have happened a little earlier in the movie and we would have *seen* Dooku leave the Jedi Order and join Sidious. Maul could've been deadlier and more proactive that way, dogging out heroes at every turn - his death would have had more impact that way.

However, TPM is my favorite episode so far, that isn't meant as criticism.