main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Should Leia be a Jedi or Politician in the ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Allana_Rey, Nov 3, 2012.

?

Should Leia be a Jedi in the ST?

1. Yes

131 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Unsure

16 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Maybe

26 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Yes

2. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Seeing Leia with a lightsaber on the big screen would be epic.

3. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    No....I think Leia should be in charge of the Senate. I wouldn't mind seeing her have some limited ability to use the force, but I think is should be more internal. In a way that will allow her to be a good diplomatic leader. But I don't want to see a 55 year old Leia wielding a lightsaber.

4. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Leia being a Jedi is way too out of left field. It doesn't fit her character or personality.

Yodahasgreenfeet and DM99 like this.
  5. agentkrycek

Nov 4, 2012
    I disagree. Diplomate doesn't make her a pacifist. She's always had a blaster by her side in the past. Why shouldn't she have a lightsaber if she's learning the ways of the force? And how is her using one any different to Yoda, Palpatine, Obi-Wan and Dooku who were all much older. Even Han and Padme both got to use one on screen.

She doesn't have to be in any duels or do fancy flips. Just seeing her pull it out briefly to deflect some laser fire from some enemies would be a special moment as a big Leia fan.

Darth_Pevra and Angel Eyes like this.
  6. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    making leia to lukes sister was a plotdevice to comfort the fans which prefered luke+leia instead of the dirty smuggler.

EU just made another nonsense out of this plotdevice. vader is dead, there are no other jedi beside luke after ROTJ. Yoda said it clearly, vader was to good at his job to left even one of them.

Leia got no talent because force sensitivity does not come from genetics. The body collects that midiclorian thingies with the food and the air. And just at special places there are enough midiclorian concentration to collect enough of them in your body. Places like Tatooine. Leia was never on tatooine so she never collected that little beasts like Anakin and Luke. Tatooine saw immense amount of the most different lifeforms. so it is logical that midichlorians concentrate here to spread around the galaxy.

Thats the bitter truth.

7. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    She should toatally be a knight, but the would have to change Princess Leia's look considerably. Less elaborate hair, more Jedi robes.

8. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Depends if they want her to be in a political position or not. If she is the/a leader in the Senator/New Republic then she probably shouldn't be a Jedi.

That being said, if she is a Jedi AND a politican, they could open up some story possibility. Some Senators might have issues with another Senator who could make them say what she wants them too. They could go to an extreme (I don't think they will) and pit Luke against Leia. Leia turns the New Republic into a Theocracy which Luke comes to see during the first movie as a problem and thats the conflict for the rest of the trilogy.

9. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Leah shouldnt be a jedi. She should be the leader of the Senate, or Mon Motha type role.

You have to wonder if Carrie knew about all this, and this is why she did the Jenny Craig diet and got herself back into the public eye a bit...

-C

10. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    She did know. Mark Hamill said that a few months ago Lucas had lunch with him and Carrie Fisher and during the lunch he told them what was happening. Lucas wanted them to hear about it from him and be prepared rather then hearing it on the news.

11. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    If it is tastefully done I don't see a problem with her wielding a lightsaber. The whole idea of doing more with less would work in a scenario with Leia. Perhaps using the duel as a back drop to convey a deeper affective message would be more dramatic and meaningful and could provide cathartic depth to her character. I always thought personally the over the top lightsaber duels from the PT were a bit much and rather unsophisticated. Alot of action, but they lacked the emotion (affect) of the OT duels, although, even though they offered less "action".

Personally, I prefer the duel between an older Obi-Wan vs. Vader the best in the entire trilogy because of everything that was said in that clash without actually being said. Implicit as opposed to hitting your audience over the head with the explicit as is the case in the duel between Obi-wan and Vader in the PT.

Sarge, agentkrycek and DarthMateous like this.
  12. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Unsure.
    I'd like to see her as a Jedi Master, but I don't want to see CGI Carrie Fisher doing summersaults while fighting with a lightsaber.

fishtailsam likes this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Had to go with yes. aside from the fact that they actually allude to it in return of the Jedi, I would love to see Leia as a Jedi-maybe even on the jedi Council, seated alongside her brother Luke...or perhaps even as the head trainer of young Jedi at the Jedi Academy... If the films do truly take place between 20 to 30 years later, such things would be realistic.

agentkrycek likes this.
  14. agentkrycek

Nov 4, 2012
    Not necessarily. The Force Unleashed 2 video game featured her as a Jedi with her Endor/Hoth hairstyle, and a lot of the EU novels depicting her as a Jedi on the cover art feature her in costumes reminiscent of her classic white gown. Even most of the CW era female Jedi tend to have more unique costumes anyway compared to the men who all wore the same tan robes.

In other words ignore her character development in ROTJ and just turn her into a Mon Mothma/Padme clone. Luke mentions specifically that the Force is strong in his family and that she will one day be able to use it like he can. To not follow up on this is a huge step backwards for Leia's character, especially when her days as a polititian can easily be explored in the period between ROTS and ANH.

Darth_Pevra and QuangoFett like this.
  15. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I'm imagining Leia (were she to appear as a Jedi in the ST) as the equivalent of King Arthur to a Round Table of Jedi Knights. She would undoubtedly have a major political role, but as has been said before, becoming a Jedi after the upheaval of the OT would be the natural culmination of her character arc. Somehow the Jedi Order would be different in this era so that Leia is both a political leader and a Jedi. The new Order's representative in the Senate?

Sarge and agentkrycek like this.
  16. FloydB1Kenobi

FloydB1Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    In some respects yes she should be a Jedi, but not in the way most think of, with lightsabers running around blah blah, but in essence she'll be more of the meditative wise Jedi's. I don't see her being a character of much action now, and with her political ties. She will have a strong ability with the force but mainly focusing on premonitions, the ability to sense others with the ability and a small amount of telekenisis.

17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would think it could work well if they created some new kind of Jedi position. In Leia's case, she could be some sort of hybrid, a "political Jedi," or something of that nature-kind of bridging the gap between the New Jedi Order and the Senate-a gap that unfortunately existed in the Old Republic days. She could perhaps be called a "Jedi Ambassador," or something...

18. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    If Carrie Fisher can look the part, then I don't see why not.

19. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I think a lot of people are thinking with Leia's character development in the EU in mind.

Remember, if we're disregarding the EU and taking the character from the first 3 films, making her a Jedi is a HUGE leap in her personality and characterization. It doesnt make sense to me.

DM99 likes this.
  20. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    I really don't believe that Leia training to be a Jedi is in her personality. IMO, I see Luke as trying to push her into honing abilities, and perhaps she has her bit of premonitions, being able to sense things (like Luke hanging off of the weather vane of Cloud City) and maybe some light telekinesis (I see telekinesis and psychic abilities being much more *her*), but actually trying to hide it from any public knowledge.

IMO, it would be a really good plot to have Leia adamantly opposed to anyone discovering her parentage (which would mean that acknowledging Luke as her brother might even be difficult due to the fact that he shares the Skywalker last name). Being the daughter of Darth Vader would jeopardize her political life. It would be interesting to see a conflict between Leia and Luke over this issue. It might be something she'd want to keep amongst her, Luke and Han. I'd then have perhaps an event where suddenly the enemy finds out the truth of the family history and uses it against them. Perhaps even uses it against the children--the grandchildren of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. Perhaps even a revenge seeker who was wronged by Darth Vader or an acolyte of the Empire who wants to use the children. There would certainly be a reason to keep this secret for the sake of the children, even beyond Leia's political life.

But I see Luke as wanting to be more out with the truth and wanting to bring back the Jedi. Leia just seems like the sort of person who might have let her brother teach her a few things at first, but then when she has children or becomes more politically active, hides that entire side of her heritage. She might try to follow the heritage of being the adopted daughter of Bail Organa, the Princess of Alderaan (this was very much her persona in the OT). Luke was far more eager to acknowledge and look for the redemptive good in his father. He seemed far less attached to his adoptive childhood lie than Leia was to hers. He didn't feel like he belonged on Tatooine, whereas Leia very much was the political "Ice Princess". And who knows how open Han would be to Luke wanting to turn his children into Jedi. He'd probably be more likely to be the one trying to turn them into co-pilots and blaster-shooters instead of practitioners of hokey religions and ancient weapons.

At most, I'd see Leia as perhaps irritating Han with a bit of playful telekinesis or having premonitions. I don't see her as a warrior. And I'd much rather her power being shown as all telekinetic and mental (mental is, after all, the only way we saw it in ESB), rather than the actual wielding of a lightsaber.

21. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    You really want to see her in a bikini at this point?!?!?!
    [​IMG]

Team Padme likes this.
  22. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    EU does not make sense at all.

To the picture: Who is that? Carrie Fishers granny?

23. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Nope, that's Carrie Fisher herself circa 2012.

24. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    Well she is Anakin's daughter, presumably like Luke she also has very strong potential with the Force. I think though that where Luke is a powerful Jedi as Anakin was, a formidable fighter, Leia's abilities would be more prevalent as a skilled diplomat and mediator, more like Qui Gon perhaps. I think that Luke's dialogue to her in RotJ means that she definitely needs to have some use of the Force, whether she is actually a member of the new Order or not.

Humm...

Luke: "You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to use it as I have."

How is it a huge leap when Luke basically says she will be a Jedi in RotJ?

Angel Eyes and agentkrycek like this.
  25. agentkrycek

Nov 4, 2012
    ^ Exactly. Disregarding the EU and based solely on the movies alone, the most logical step for her character is becoming a Jedi. Luke says she will one day learn to use the Force, we saw glimpses of her potential in both ESB and ROTJ, plus her personality in ROTJ was already more calm and "Jedi like" compared to the fiesty smart mouth princess from the previous films. There was absolutely nothing in the films suggesting she was ever going to go back to being a full time polititian, especially when she technically wasn't one for the majority of the Original Trilogy.

Senator > Rebel > Jedi

Thats a fitting story arc for her because she actually develops and grows as a character.