main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should Mods be the only ones to be able to create official threads?

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Poll forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Oct 2, 2002.

?

Should Mods be the only one to able to create an "Official" thread?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Yes, only mods should be able to make official threads.

18.9%
  2. No, but all official threads must have explicit mod approval.

66.0%
  3. No, whoever starts a thread on a new topic should be able to make official.

15.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
  2. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Heh heh heh... the first response. [face_devil] Anyway now back to the topic I voted No, but all official threads must have explicit mod approval. The only reason I didn't say yes was that in doing that some people may feel that the boards are less about them and too regulated (not me though). This should help cut down on the repeat threads. But as to enforcing it I have no idea.

EDIT: Spelling
    EDIT: Spelling again... [face_blush]

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Yes, and Official threads for new books (ie, Destiny's Way) should be sticky starting a week before the release date and stay that way for a month so people will see it.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I voted yes -- Mods should be the only one. That way any new policy decided upon (i.e. "Official threads will only be created two weeks prior to book release" or the like) will be enacted by a Mod and there won't have to be thread deletions.

I created an "Official" Rebel Dream (NJO) thread without even realizing that Mods had to approve it long ago. Granted it was the Sunday before release date and I'd read the book, so good discussion was had, but the point is valid.

EDIT: Yes, and Official threads for new books (ie, Destiny's Way) should be sticky starting a week before the release date and stay that way for a month so people will see it.

They can't change "stickiness" apparently... this has been discussed before... it's either/or...

EDIT 2: In response to Gandolf below... hmmm, then w_k's idea has serious merit... I must inflate my air sac thoughtfully now...

5. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    There sort of is a way to change the stickiness. By deleting the first post, we can un-stick a topic. But it can never be re-stuck.

6. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Well, you can create an official thread, then just delete the first post after a month ...

7. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Just make sure that the creator of the thread clears it with a mod first, and that should be sufficient.

JMA

8. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    it should be allowed at least a month in advance for speculation and maybe some spoilers.....but not major spoilers. I would like it if speculation is allowed.

9. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I voted for NO, but must have Mod approval. :D

10. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Although the problem with this way [face_blush] is that if there are no Lit Mods on-line at the time [face_devil] it could take a while for the thread to be approved. :(

Although with another Mod on their way :cool: this shouldn't be to much of a problem. ;) :D

(It wouldn't let me Edit my last post :mad: so that's why I posted again. [face_blush] )

11. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    There sort of is a way to change the stickiness. By deleting the first post, we can un-stick a topic. But it can never be re-stuck.

I am going to say YES, but with a caveat.

Offical discussion threads about a new book that has been released should be a sticky topic, created by a moderator who gets the first two posts (first two posts are identical, the first gets deleted later). It should be created 2-3 weeks before the official release date or when the first sample chapter is released, whichever comes first. It should be left stuck at the top for 6 weeks, then the first post can be deleted.

All discussion topics about a book prior to its release should be labeled SPECULATION threads, not discussion threads. What are we discussing about Force Heretic 1 and The Unifying Force? The book summary? The whole topic is speculation. I think SPECULATION about the book should be separated from DISCUSSION of the actual contents of the book. Speculation threads don't have to be sticky threads. I know many people like to speculation, I just think we should label them as such.

I really don't like wading through page after page after page of SPECULATION in the offical discussion threads just to get to actual discussion of the contents of the book.

For the comics, if there are enough people who want to see it, you could do an arc discussion thread. Instead of 4 separate topics on each of the 4 parts, just create 1 Offical EMPIRE discussion topic.

As for other threads, some may start out as unofficial, but can be made into Offical by the moderators.

12. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I voted 'Yes', because i do think the official thread first post should be by a mod. Perhaps it should give outlines as to what should be included in the thread to stop it going off-topic/turning social.

But I'm not against people asking Mods to create an official thrtead on behalf of them if they deem it worthy.

13. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    I think that people who aren't Mods should be able to create Official threads, but not without Mod approval. Otherwise, it's either too structured and restraining, or too chaotic and there could be ten official threads on the same topic!

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Reminder to all those who are considering stickiness of official threads --

Only Mods may stick.

That is all.

:D

15. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    That's why I said only mods should be able to create official threads. For new books, anyway.

16. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I stand by the "No, but they must have approval to get the official title" idea. It's worked before everywhere else (PSA being the main beneficiary of this idea) so I think it should continue in Lit.

17. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Yes, but only if the poster is intelligent enough to start a true and passive conversation. I frown on Newbies starting official threads because half the time the have no idea what they are discussing.

18. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I voted just plain no. Mods should moderate. As far as I know their current job description does not require any type of topic creation. If someone starts a thread before them, it should become the official thread. The topic title can always be edited by mods if they want to alter it. I don't like having to ask permission to post any topic that doesn't violate any of the current rules.

What if the mods are off for the night? Do you have to wait a day just to post a topic. If you post anyway without permission or without a title with the word "official", will the topic be locked after a day of discussion just because it was not the so-called official topic - even though it was posted first?

Getting permission to start a topic is just a plain pain in the arse. I can't believe so many people support that option. This rule would be difficult to defend to me since I think that redundant threads are an issue of time and date of original topic creation.

I don't want to get off on a rant here, but this seems elitist that only the great and powerful mods can create and approve topics worthy to be "official".

SIDE NOTE:

The word "official" on an unofficial fan-based forum has little meaning anyway. Remember, only LFL determines what is and is not official with regards to Star Wars. :)

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I voted just plain no. Mods should moderate. As far as I know their current job description does not require any type of topic creation. If someone starts a thread before them, it should become the official thread. The topic title can always be edited by mods if they want to alter it. I don't like having to ask permission to post any topic that doesn't violate any of the current rules.

Only Mods can post in the Authors Forum. They are REQUIRED to do so there.

What if the mods are off for the night? Do you have to wait a day just to post a topic. If you post anyway without permission or without a title with the word "official", will the topic be locked after a day of discussion just because it was not the so-called official topic - even though it was posted first?

That's why I voted that only Mods can start topics -- that way you don't have to wait for anything. Only the Mods are posting official threads so there's no reason to wait a day for anything...

20. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Only Mods can post in the Authors Forum. They are REQUIRED to do so there.

1) Mods are not required to create topics in A&A. They are the only ones allowed to do so - but not necessarily required. I'm not sure all the Literature mods are A&A mods anyway.

2) The question posed is in regard to the Literature forum, not the A&A forum, and both mods and regular users may create topics in the Literature forum (at least for now, the way the trend of this topic could lead, who knows), so it's a little different.

That's why I voted that only Mods can start topics -- that way you don't have to wait for anything. Only the Mods are posting official threads so there's no reason to wait a day for anything...

You have to wait if they haven't created it yet, and you want to start discussing it while they're offline.

21. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The first decent thread on a new book should be the official one. For example, if I were to start a TUF thread now that got two replies and sank, that shouldn't be official, but if I were to start a TUF thread now that had a spoiler, or a blurb, or even managed to stay on topic for 20-30 replies, then that should be the official one referred to when new TUF threads start popping up.

22. wk_sock

wk_sock Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    The word "official" on an unofficial fan-based forum has little meaning anyway. Remember, only LFL determines what is and is not official with regards to Star Wars.

LOL [face_laugh]

23. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I think mods are busy enough modding and such that they do not need to be creating official threads. However, I think all official threads should have mod approval in order to maintain the status that official threads have now.

24. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I thought it was pretty good. I'm sure Val will apreciate it. :D

25. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    There should not be a need for permission. The easiest thing would be to simply have mods choose which thread should be the official one, and then edit the title, or if none seem "worthy", create the official topic. That loosely fits the current system now. Why make newbies learn more rules than they need to. If this was the "procedure" then you don't really need to enforce anything new.

Why do we need to have a whole procedure and permissions, etc? Next thing you know we'll need to fill out forms to start official threads and need a credit check before approval to become a member :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.