main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should Off-Topic threads about other books related to SW be allowed?

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Poll forum' started by Kadue, Sep 27, 2002.

?

Should Off-Topic threads about other books related to SW be allowed?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Yes

62.0%
  2. No

38.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I think this is what the Authors & Artists Forum is for...

I have always been under the impression it was for discussing other works by Authors & Artists who did SW work. At least, from what I've seen, there are no other authors/artists listed there ....

EDIT:

From "Introduction to the Author Forum"

"The aim of this forum is to create discussion about the authors who have written in the Star Wars universe, and books, their non Star Wars novels, their writing style, etc... "

3. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I voted no.

EU Games has it's own rules. It does not have a lot of traffic, and the number of SW games is not that large, so it's fine for that forum.

There's a whole $h!tload of Star Wars books, comics, short stories, etc. that we don't need non-Star Wars literature discussions to increase traffic to the forum. Lit is in the top 3 at JC for traffic - the traffic is already high.

I thought the whole point of EUC was for Lit members to have non-Star Wars discussions if they wanted to.

4. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    No, EUC is a community thread for fanclubs, EUDF, etc. At least, that's what it was when originally created.

5. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    In the description for EUC it has in its description:

"... along with any topic that does not fit within any of the other Expanded Universe forums"

6. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    That doesn't really narrow it down, lol.

I still say a separate forum for non-sw books and comics would be a good idea.

7. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I voted Yes :D

Occasionally between books there isn't as much to discuss :( so I have no problems with Off-Topic threads. :D

Our beloved Mod's [face_love] can always change the rules if it starts to get out of hand. ;)

8. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I don't see a problem with it in moderation. It never hurts to see some other Sci-Fi like B5.
    If the forum is filled with non SW threads that would be bad though. I think we need to strike a balance or dedicate a seperate thread on the Lit board to non SW books.

9. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I didn't vote because i'm on the fence. I lean towards dp4m's idea of tying it to Star Wars but that could be a little exclusive. If it could be limited to a few specific threads it should be fine. Having 'Clancy's new book' or 'King's new book' threads would clutter things up. Ultimately for me its yes with reservations.

10. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Mariah Jade2
    The Amphitheatre really is the most appropriate place, thus I feel we should limit the Non-Star Wars Literature to the Amphitheatre, etc.

I vote no. This is a SW literature board and I think it should remain that. I agree with Mariah Jade and others that the Amphitheatre is a better place. Other books can also be discussed on the Authors and Artists boards.

11. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Generally, off-topic threads about non-SW books should not be allowed. I don't want Spiderman and B5 threads clogging up the front page. They should go in the Amp. Threads about non-SW books written by SW authors is what the A&A forum is for.

However, I also think the "What are you reading now?" thread should stay in the lit forum. Because that thread reaches a greater audience, it is more helpful to other users to find other lit. I just cannot envision the lti forum without that thread.

12. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The main reason I often post things in lit that don't technically belong there is this:

I know the lit forums. Despite that it's really one big forum, each of the different areas within has different regular posters. And the lit forum is "home" to me as far as the boards go, whereas I don't really know the people as well over in YJCC, or AMP.

13. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Well, if Amp is where we're gonna have non-SW discussion, then I think it should be "advertised" more. When it was first launched, I was under the impression that it was an art/classical music place. Mainly because of the name. The name HAS to be changed if the goal is to get more people posting there.

14. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I think so. I think that it should mainly stick to books that are Sci-Fi, but I have an anouncement about a mystery book later on this month.
    Books by SW authors, definently.

15. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Books by SW authors definitely not IMO, since that's why A&A was created. The real question IMO is where to draw the line for non-SW books by non-SW authors.

16. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Mastadge raises an interesting point. Sometimes, a particular discussion is placed in particular forum not because of it's topic, but because of whom one wishes to discuss it with.

I understand the importance of a rigid policy, but perhaps this is an instance where a more flexible policy is appropriate. Topics could be judged on a case by case basis, similiar to the way they're already handled.

Alright, I admit it, I'm waffling on this issue.

:p

17. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    "The name HAS to be changed if the goal is to get more people posting there. "

I agree that the Amphitheatre may not be the best name for the forum. It was...rushed and a compromised situation on the whole. Let us never speak of its birth again. ;)

If it's advertising you want, then we can advertise once the policy is enacted. That's no problem at all.

18. DashASolo

DashASolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2002
    No, if you to bring in another book plot device or story and how it relates to your statement about SW then that is one thing. There is a official LOTR website and forum for posting thoughts about somewhere else for a reason. Go there if you want to say something about it. This forum's topics should be kept to the SW universe.

19. Talon_Karrde_

Talon_Karrde_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2000
    I think it's a good idea to keep other discussion to the Amphitheatre. I think once you tell people it's only allowed there, they'll figure it out pretty quick and learn to use that forum.

-----signature-----
    D-'-,-'-,'-,-- Karrde

20. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    I'm going to say no. The SW Author and Artists forum, however slow, is the place to talk about other works by SW artists. The Ampitheather Forum is where you can talk about other writers' work, like Clancy or Crichton. Who's to decide what author's or novel series are tied closely enough to SW for them to stay open?

What might be a good idea would be to put links to the A&A and Amphitheater Forums in the headings of the page as a way for Lit denizens to quickly click over to those forums, or include in an FAQ thread that OT lit discussions can be found in the other two forums.

21. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I voted yes but it depends.

Certain authors (popular) should be kept in the Amp (Clancy/King etc) as their are already discussions of them going on.
    Other Authors with a lesser fanbase I will go for.

Maybe a forum on Non SW Lit?

22. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    That's pretty much what the Amphitheatre is.

Consider the Amphitheatre to be the Literatre forum minus Star Wars.

23. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    Would it be possible to put a link for the Amphitheatre in the EU section? That would make it easier to find for new Lit members.

24. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I think that can be done with minimal difficulty.

I hope. ;)

25. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    One of the outcomes from all of this will be a sticky thread containing info about Lit, and in the section about topics, links to the Amphitheatre will be made. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.