main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should radio hosts Opie & Anthony have been fired for airing sex at St. Patrick's Cathedral?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Master-Jedi-Smith, Aug 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    knightwriter,

"But the church's actions are not controlled by the people. It's not a democracy."

It's not above the law either, but it appears that it thinks it is.

Latre! :D

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    No, the Church *is* separate from the law in some cases. Confessions are protected by law. However, in child abuse cases, it is, of course, not above the law, and I think that's being shown now with the priests who are being brought to trial.

3. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Oh there's been outrage, for sure, this kind of scandal should generate outrage, but for the most part, the outrage hasn't been as furious or as damaging as it should be. There are no "Help the catholic church reclaim its membership" stuff like that. I don't see any churches going under either. So it must not have been that bad. Ohh well....I'll gladly discuss this in a PM if you like. :) But I think we need to get back on topic.

4. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    FID,

I think that this is the topic now.

Isn't it knightwriter, or should we switch back again?

5. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    What is the topic, though? Originally, both the current subject of discussion and the radio DJs were brought up. I saw that both were relevant and moved discussion toward either one.

6. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    It wouldn't affect the church if it was making the right decisions.

Anyways, this whole thing is pretty stupid.

This has NOTHING to do with religous conservatives pushing their morals on anybody, this is about idiotic shock jocks getting people to desicrate a site sacred to millions, and getting fired because the company they worked for thought it was easier to do that than stand by their idiots.

Would you object if a radio talk show got people to have sex in your home? How about if they got them to vadalize your home? Or shine 100 spotlights on your house?

I guess people like you would complain because we can't stop anybody from doing anything.

7. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    How about we make an 'Accountabilty' thread out of this place? Or some sort of ethics thing. Either way, truly a good discussion.

8. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    Fine with me! :)

So we have the hypocrisy of the Catholic Church discussion, the don't allow others to decide for you what you are able to watch and listen, and the does the punishment fit the crime?

I think. :p

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Good suggestion, FID. Let's do that.

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    So we have the hypocracy of the Catholic Church discussion, the don't allow others to decide for you what you are able to watch and listen,

What do you mean they don't allow others to decide such things?

11. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    That all sounds cool to me! :)

By the way, I really do respect each and every one of your opinions. That goes for everybody. ;)

12. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    :D Only here to help. While we're at it, why hasn't that CEO of Enron been nabbed yet? That guy needs to go to jail. Seriously.

13. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    As to your query KnightWriter, that was just another discussion I was pointing out.

How others took actions in order to get them fired, therefore choosing for those who did listen to them that they couldn't.

Edit: This thread better not die though because we switch it to something else! :p

Just kidding! :)

14. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    He certainly is not the only one.

But then again, it is another one of those "Good old boys" mentality. The rich tend to not see the illegal actions of another rich person, most likely because they are engaging in illegal activity themselves.

See what happened when Bush started taking action because there was a public outrage. :p

People started digging up his business practices, looking for dirt.

15. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I think celebrities and rich folks get off too easily when the law is concerned. Bunch of elitist snobs. Man, our own football player, Ray Lewis, got off for murder, he should have at least paid a fine. But no, he was a celebrity, and we needed his abilities to make our games interesting. So once again, another case of double standards.

16. Darth_Jeremy

Darth_Jeremy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2002
    Let me clear something up, Opie and Anthony were NOT fired, contrary to what most of you think. Their show was canceled, but they were not, I repeat, NOT fired.

17. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    'ehh...sounds like being fired to me. Maybe I'm just confused. But doesn't getting your show cancelled equate to getting fired? You know, Gary Coleman didn't get fired, his show got cancelled. Same thing. Right?

18. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    Well here is the deal. That is the law. It doesn't matter if both parites had consented to have sex or not. You cannot do that kind of act in a public place like on the street, store, or church for that matter. That is the law. So yes they should have been arrested and charged properly. What they did was get arrested, and a lot of businesses don't want someone with a criminal record working for them and if their job has fired them for doing something as stupid as this then that was their choice to do it, and they should have known the consequences of their actions and take responsibility. So firing them to me is a good move.

Maybe they should try not to be so dumb next time. Also doing it in a church is really just bad taste and your simply asking for trouble in doing it there.

As far as the molesting priests thing. First off not all clergy are perverts and commit that kind of crime. So to put a stigma on the Catholic Church like that is not being responsible. Sure recently there have been numerous reports of clergy after clergy being found out but there are litterly thousands of clergy out there and not all of them are bad.

You know when people start bashing the Catholic Church as being nothing but perverts it's no better than others claiming Gays and Lesbians were the origin of the AIDS epidemic, and that they are all perverts. Or the same for accusing all Muslims as being terrorists. It's not in the cards, and it's part of the problem with the world today. Putting labels and dividing people up into little groups.

Anyway they got what they deserved and the Preist molestation has nothing to do with this matter, but common law, and basic common sense which these individuals didn't use and are now payng the piper.

19. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    The bigger question:

Why can't these two idiots hold down a job?

20. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Why can't these two idiots hold down a job?

I think you've answered your own question

21. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I think you've answered your own question

Yep, it's because they're idiots, DUH! :p :p

22. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    "Anyway they got what they deserved and the Preist molestation has nothing to do with this matter, but common law, and basic common sense which these individuals didn't use and are now payng the piper."

I never said that the molestations had anything to do with them being fired.

I just find it sad, if not distrubing, that the same orgainization that readily called for the head of these two DJs, and readily assisted in the arrest of the two adults who had sex, is at the same time so slow to do the same to their own, and in some cases, cover it up.

23. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Well, I think that one of the reasons they would call the police in this case, but not in the case of the priest molestations, is because in this case the offenders were not members of the church - so it was left to the law to punish them. In the case of the priests, they consider it an internal matter, between the church and God. Not that I agree with it, because it looks more like a cover-up and they didn't even seem to inform the rest of the church members about it.

24. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    Exactly.

And I don't care how much they try to rationalize it, they are not above the law.

How can you justify the molestation of a child? (Not really directed at anyone here, unless you really try to, then it is directed at you.)

25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Of course they are not above the law. No one is saying they are, and no one is justfiying those things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.