main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should schools start so early?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by solojones, Aug 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darth_Bob

Lord_Darth_Bob Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 29, 2001
    Dear God No.....I haven't finished my Spanish homework in the last 10 hours and it is going to be 12:00 Midnight soon.

2. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Start going to bed earlier, and you won't have any problems getting up in the morning. I don't buy it that teens are on a different cycle. You can adjust your daily routine so that it isn't a problem getting up that early.

3. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    But see, that's the thing. Unless I'm sick, no matter what I do I CAN'T go to bed earlier. I've tried it a few times and lay awake in the dark for over an hour - right up to my regular bedtime, in fact.

4. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    It is possible to train yourself. A few years ago, I had a job where I worked from 2pm to midnight. I would sleep until noon.

I switched jobs to one where I had to go in at 8am to 6pm. I started hitting the sack at around midnight.

The trick is...when you want to start adjusting your routine...and this part really sucks...you get up early, do your daytime thing, come home...and absolutely resist the urge to nap or lay down. You will be ready for bed at an earlier time, I guarantee it.

5. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Well, I have gotten up early a few times.

And I still went to bed at the same time.

Sigh.

6. Rogue_Squad_Leader-

Rogue_Squad_Leader- Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    answer to the main question: absolutly! my highschool starts bout a week or two before anyone else in our town. but we are the only school who takes there semester tests before christmas break which is toatally awsome

7. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    "But see, that's the thing. Unless I'm sick, no matter what I do I CAN'T go to bed earlier. I've tried it a few times and lay awake in the dark for over an hour - right up to my regular bedtime, in fact. "

Well it sounds to me that you basically are not expending enough energy throughout the day to not want to come home and simply go to bed. Join a bunch of clubs at school or start exercising more and you will be going to bed at 8:30 or 9:00 pm guaranteed.

8. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Well I'm homeschooled, no clubs for me.

9. DARTHPIGFEET

Jan 24, 2001
    You might want to ask Mom and Dad for a little recess time. Go run a mile or something or walk a mile, or something like that will surely get you tired after studying and working all day.

10. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I don't really excercise much cause I haven't found something that I enjoy enough. I guess I don't have enough motivation. I'm happy with the way I look. And I don't exactly want to get skinnier.

11. DARTHPIGFEET

Jan 24, 2001
    Try Yoga or something. Anything that expends energy. You see if you get up and just sit there all day and do school work and then eat and do nothing else then sure you will have plenty of energy to stay up late and go to bed a 2 or 3 in the morning.

Oh and a perfect example for all of you who think young people have a different cycle then look no further than the miltary. You are trained to sleep because they work your butt until your going to drop. So when you hit the bed you sleep and then 0500 comes real early the next morning, and since the average soldier in the military is what 20 or 21 starting off??? I think you can change your cycle, but it all depends on habits. I remembered when I had a month long stint about waking up a 5 am on the button, after going to bed a 10 pm because my work schedule had changed, and once my body got used to the change I went back to my 8 am wake up call. So it all depends on a lot of things but the cycle is your doing not nature folks.

12. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    well i used to got to school at 8am but year 11 and 12(top 2 years high school) at our school don't start til 12pm so it's awesome and you do learn better as you have time before school to wake up.

i live in wollongong nsw Australia and go to ERC

13. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    LOL

school starts at 7.45am that's hilarious :D

My old school started at 8.15am or 9.05am (depended on the day) at it ended at 3.50am.

Except on Friday then it ended on 10.45am :p

So I never complain, (even though I got up at 6am )

Note: As you could guess my school system is different then yours.

14. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    2. Better to start this early in the morning because 90% of these students will work one day in a work force which runs from 9 to 5.

3. This is around the same time everyone in the household is going off and getting ready for work, and the timing has to do with transportation as well.

I leave for school before my parents leave for work and I got up earlier than them most of last year. I think my Average Wake-up time was 5:30 am-6am. The earliest my mom ever woke up was 6 and my dad didn't wake up untill 7.

Start going to bed earlier, and you won't have any problems getting up in the morning.

If we could go to be earlier a lot of us would. Most of my friends last year went to bed between 12 am and 2 am because of homework. Of course maybe this is just us...apparently being number 2 public school in the state tells the teachers they should give us even more homework, like sadistic amounts. *sigh* ah well one more year.

15. The_Dork_Side

The_Dork_Side Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2001
    "I live in Volusia County Florida and school for all grades began last Monday...
    High School: 7:45am till 2:30pm "

You sure about that? I'm a Volusia County High School Student and my 1st bell is at 7:20 and it is purley ridiculious. I have the loudest, most chipper teacher for 1st period and I'm so tired that after 2 weeks her loudness doesn't even phase me.

Some of my friends are up at 4 and 4:30 to catch 5:30-5:50 buses, that's insane. I'm up at 6:30 and out the door at 6:55 and still am tired beyond all reason.

Like Rebecca191, I have problems falling asleep before a certain time (although not as late as her). Even when I'm dead tired I just can't fall asleep.

I too have read the studies about how teens need more sleep and I agree and I see the points. Some teens are driving to school when they aren't even totally awake yet and that can't be safe. I've had grades drop a bit because I haven't been rested enough for 1st period. It's not because I don't get enough sleep, I get my 7-8 hours a night but I need like 13 to be sociable.

The year after I left MS they changed it to start at 9, the elem. at 8:15 (i think) and made the HS earlier. What's with that? The munchkins should be up with the sun, not us older ones.

down with school, up with sleep!

16. DARTHPIGFEET

Jan 24, 2001
    "If we could go to be earlier a lot of us would. Most of my friends last year went to bed between 12 am and 2 am because of homework. Of course maybe this is just us...apparently being number 2 public school in the state tells the teachers they should give us even more homework, like sadistic amounts. *sigh* ah well one more year. "

Are they in honor classes or something? I was never up doing homework past 9 pm, and that was with me taking honor courses and playing football at the same time. The only times I would even be up doing homework past 9 was if it was Math. I couldn't do math to safe my life and on the nights before a test in math I didn't sleep because I was so worried I would fail the test and so I would stay up all night studying for it and then fail the exam with a big fat zero the next day. I was allergic to math. History and other subjects like that was a walk in the park for me. Now in college sure I was up until 1 or 2 in the morning writing papers 12 to 17 pages in length and getting all my sources and footnotes done. I can tell you now it only gets worse. I think the State is right with giving more homework, because it's preparing you for the future. It could be college or being up late paying bills. That is life, and until you can win the lottery get a high paying job, or die then your stuck.

Trust me this is all for the best, and it's preparing you for the dark days to come as I like to call them. I never thought I would say this but " I wish I was back in High School" I hated high school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.