main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should there be a challenge against Anakin and Padme's marriage?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Slowpokeking, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    You're being too 'real world'. Don't meddle with the archetype.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    "I only met one great girl, others are not even close so I picked her as wife." and "There are many great girls around me and quite a few of them admire me, but after painful struggle, I still decide to be with my wife." Which one shows greater love?

Even one of the best EU book The Courship of Princess Leia had a charming prince who courts Leia but she finally picked Han Solo.

3. grungebunny

Jul 20, 2005
    But Han and Leia's relationship wasn't based on old romantic rules in the same way. Here are the rules: We've seen a few of them

We've seen a few of them. Clovis falls into the last one. Two men can love one woman but in courtly love 'A double love cannot obligate the individual'. You cannot love two people at once.

4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Who made these roles?

No, there can be 2 love at the same time. Scarlett loved Ashley for a long while but at the same time she was also attracted by Butler and realized she loved him a lot in the end.

Even in SW, Obi Wan had affection of both Satine and Siri.

Love is not something you can control and say "Hi I already have my love, I cannot grow feeling of another."

5. grungebunny

Jul 20, 2005
    They were written in De Amore by Andreas Cappellanus but are present in most medieval literature. Anakin is shown as more of a knight than a monk hence the courtly love. I don't think any other relationship uses the same template.

6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Best option in bold. Especially for Star Wars. Especially for TCW.

Seerow and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Why? They are sentient beings, it's unnatural if nobody grows any affection.

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Because I would prefer stories about the Jedi way and the nature of the Force.

Seerow likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jedi, Sith, warriors, the battle of good vs. evil. Even the corrupt nature of large political systems; there's a quote from Lucas about how all democracies are in danger of eventually becoming dictatorships, and I think he did a great job exploring that in the PT.

For soap opera-esque love triangles, there's always Gone With the Wind, Titanic, or the Twilight saga. And hell, if you want a romance-centric story with a challenge, and you're actually open to that challenge being something other than one of the people ****ing someone else, there's Nicholas Sparks' book and movie The Notebook. I hated it, it made me want brain bleach, but there aren't too many bigger challenges to a marriage than one spouse getting Alzheimers.

10. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Exactly. I want stories about the Jedi way, rogues, the force, the war, the behind the scenes of the war, the villains, more clones, and even more unconventional stuff. Love triangle ain't even on my radar.

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Jedi way creates no good story without some great threat, Sith way can create good story among themselves.

And even Jedi later realized they are wrong to forbid love and attachment.

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He also used love to show the flaw of the old Jedi way. And none of these conflict with love story, even War and Peace spent quite much effort on love story.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Actually that's debatable. Yoda told Luke that he might have to allow Han and Leia to die if he believed in what they fought for. Not to mention Yoda and Obi-Wan telling Luke to commit patricide. Seems that they weren't all that big on attachment in the OT either, although the subject of romance never came up with Luke when Ben and Yoda were around.

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    And they were wrong, love is what brought the Jedi victory, Luke also abolished the rule of no marriage in the new Jedi Order.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I actually agree with you about Luke's love for his father bringing victory to the Jedi.

However, we got a bit off topic, and I wouldn't use the statement "love brought the Jedi victory" as justification for shoehorning a third person into the Anakin and Padme relationship.

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    To be 100% accurate, love is what got the Jedi slaughtered (as least as regards Anakin) AND love is what got the Sith finally oblterated (as regards Anakin). So love is/was a two edged sword - if you've going to acknowledge the positive, you must also acknowledge the negative.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well that's to make their love story better.

It's not love is not good for the story, but Lucas is not good at writing love story, but in PT it's so important because it's what dragged Anakin to the Dark Side. So TCW is a chance to make it better rather add more romance to Obi Wan.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And that is where we part ways. I'd rather throw in one of my kids' DVDs from years ago of Elmo and Mr. Noodle than watch a love triangle, and I would have to grow a different brain to ever consider a love triangle an "improvement" to a story.

I think we've proven that neither of us are convincing the other one though.

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well it really depend on how do they write the story, if the love story is packed with battle, action, scheme and help develop character, I think you will change idea.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    As the older more mature one who made the decision to marry having Padme in a love triangle does not work. It should be Anakin as he is younger and as a young man would be more tempted down that path.

22. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    No, I don't think it'd be a good idea. Thought watching Padme slap around some woman trying to get with Anakin would be entertaining.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    What if it was Ahsoka, what with Anakin as her Master a possible 50 shades of Jedi could be in the offing ;)

24. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    [​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee and CT-867-5309 like this.
  25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Lol ok ok :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.