main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Should there be gay characters in the ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jedi Mountain, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    A thought on the whole "relevant to the story" topic - Lando flirts with Leia. It's brief, utterly irrelevant to the story, and even Han and Leia themselves barely seem to give it a second thought. If Lando had been a female character with the same backstory and the same lines, would people have complained that it was forced, or politically correct, or inappropriate, in some way that it isn't with a male Lando?

2. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I don't think so, but I also don't think that people would consider that "good enough" as far as the inclusion of a gay character.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't know that I agree. Wanting representation isn't the same as wanting one's own romantic subplot.

cwustudent, Contessa, Danzo and 6 others like this.
  4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Maybe showing a gay family would be the best way to go. That way it would be relatively easy to incorporate, by just having one of the kids refer to the parents as "Mom" and "Mother" or "Dad" and "Papa" for instance.

Plus, it's not beyond the reach of science (possibly) if this article is anything to go by:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn4909-virgin-birth-mammal-rewrites-rules-of-biology.html

A mouse born from the genetic material of two female mice. Since Star Wars is, in many ways, more technologically advanced than we are, I would say it'd be an interesting idea to incorporate.

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That is pretty funny. I think they are supposed to be monk like...

BTW, that isn't you in your avatar is it?

6. Darth_Jetzt

Darth_Jetzt Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 30, 2004
    This is going to be a Disney film, people... The company is notorious for force feeding us heterosexual love stories! Think about it logically, although times have changed and views on homosexual relationships are far more relaxed than they were in the past, I can't see Disney giving the thumbs up to a homosexually driven plot. As a company, they to appeal to girls, between the ages if 3-10, who fantasise about growing up to be princesses and finding "prince charming", etc... These plots are money makers which appeal to a majority rather than a minority. Anyway, all the gay guys like a good heterosexual love story.

7. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Nah, it would be tremendous.

8. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Exactly. Why does everyone assume that a LGBT introduction into the GFFA have to be a gay romance? There are any number of subtle way to be inclusive. For example: non-traditional gender roles. An androygynous male or female character. Two characters of the same gender in the background holding hands. It doesn't have to be an episode of L Word or Modern Family. Anymore than having Lando around required ESB to turn into a blaxploitation movie.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, now they just need to appeal to boys who fantasize about growing up to be princesses.

10. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    1. o_O No.
    2. Disney has a more broad interest than princesses. Loading up on Marvel and Lucasfilm characters is a perfect example of that. They has a rather good track record with the LGBT community, with their Disney World Pride parades and involvement in the It Gets Better video series. And have expressed interest in taking baby steps into portraying gay characters in their storytelling.

cwustudent likes this.
  11. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Apparently they can actually have flings or something as long as there is no real attachment.

12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Wait a minute, says who? Is this from the EU, or from George? If this is something from the EU, it is unofficial. No monkey business for the Jedi as far as I know....

13. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Jedi are not explicitly forbidden from physical relationships. The problem is that many of these relationships get emotional. The emotional attachment is the real problem.

14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Is this induction, or do you have a specific source?

15. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    I think I must have read this somewhere, but I can't currently provide you with a source that they can have non-emotional relationships. I can, however, prove that Jedi are not explicity forbidden from physical relationships - because nothing has ever said that they are forbidden from purely physical relationships.

16. SPACEMONKEY20

SPACEMONKEY20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    In 2015...

The Sith are back, and they're FABULOUS!!!

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That is not proof of anything. There has not been anything explicitly stating that they CAN have physical relationships either; nothing in the movies has ever alluded to a Jedi having an accepted physical relationship. It has never been specifically addressed.

18. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    OK. If this hasn't been mentioned before, here goes:

R2 and 3PO are the greatest gay couple in cinema. Surely, they will return for the ST.

We can all calm down now.

19. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Jango may have been gay. Boba was not.

20. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    The actual source of that is Lucas himself. It might have been at Celebration when he was interviewed by Jon Stewart, or some other random interview, but he basically said that Jedi could have one night stands as long as they don't get attached. He's said it a couple of times in recent years but the general consensus is that he's joking...probably...maybe...it's still G-canon. :D

As far as gay characters in the sequels goes, what are we talking about here? A character who happens to be gay or a character who is shown to be involved in a gay relationship? Because I worry that the latter would feel forced. I don't want to see a gay character for the sake of there being a gay character. It makes it an issue and it shouldn't be an issue. When you deliberately draw attention to something like that, it defeats the purpose of putting a gay character in there in the first place. It becomes about the issue rather than the character and their role in the story.

If there are any gay characters in Star Wars, don't write them as "gay characters in Star Wars." Just write them as characters, as people. Don't make a big song and dance about their sexuality, don't issue a press release saying that Star Wars is diversifying with the introduction of gay characters. Just do it and say nothing. Act as if there's nothing out of the ordinary. Because isn't that ultimately what the gay community wants? For being gay to be ordinary? For there to be no reaction other than "so what?" Nobody cares that I'm straight. It's not a big deal. If I was gay I'd want the same lack of reaction and if there are gay characters in Star Wars it should be the same way.

The fact that we have a thread asking the question goes to prove my point. This thread shouldn't need to exist. The question shouldn't have to be asked. It shouldn't be a big deal. And that's how Lucasfilm should approach it, if they do include gay characters.

21. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    They should just do it.

Just throw it out there, like a side character or something. Because once it happens the controversy probably wouldn't even last that long, and once the smoke has cleared it wouldn't be a worry anymore we wouldn't have to debate the issue for a million years. There are tons of gay characters in comics that aren't particularily forced or whatever because they got that monkey off their chest during the 90's.

I wouldn't even be worried too much about the execution because if they're smart and take their cues from the OT, the romance would be parse out over the film in passing instead of there being a big introspective romance scene.

I mean gay star wars characters wil probably happen some day (aside from the coupleTraviss did) just please don't let Denning to be the one to let the cat out of the bag.

cwustudent and Contessa like this.
  22. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    If it doesn't serve the plot then no.

23. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Serves the plot? If you stripped the OT of everything that didn't strictly advance the plot the movies would be half as long and twice as boring.

Putting in little things in movies that aren't really subserviant to the plot can do wonders for tone and versimilitude. As long as it's balance by the pacing.

Or else you get flicks like the new Star Trek where every single little scene leads directly into the next, but the setting and tone don't have much presence at all.

24. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Actually the qui gon gin turning up and "hey your little boy has special powers he better come live with me" ........

25. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I personally see no problem with more diversity in the characters being shown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.