main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SIAP: New Lucas film: Red Tails

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Riven_JTAC, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Just saw the trailer on Yahoo! Movies.

Red Tails trailer

Just a bit of background, this is George's new film coming out next year. It is based on the true story of the Tuskegee Airmen, a group of African-American fighter pilots in the the segregated military of the United States during World War II.

Background on the Tuskegee Airmen

I am very much looking forward to this film. I cannot express the amount of respect I have for these men (and all men and women wearing the American flag on their shoulders). I actually have a 1000-pc jigsaw puzzle of a painting of the Red Tails in action near my TV. It's a wonderful work. I might purchase a real, large print of it soon (see the image here).

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Wait, Lucas makes other movies?

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I wondered if he was ever going to actually make this. The last news where he talked about it was 2005, that I recall. "I want to make smaller films".

4. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah, I remember hearing about this for a few years, too. Finally got a theatrical trailer. Looks great. On another board I saw some people whining about the CG, but it looks fine to me.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, I saw this in 1996. It's called The Tuskegee Airmen.

6. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Because historical events can only be made into one movie, ever. In history. Cynical much?

This movie has been quietly filming for a while now. Kind of funny that we all got so used to the flood of Star Wars stuff that a lot of people are surprised this has even been made when in actuality there has been news and photos from the production circulating for a year and a half now, if you know where to look.

Also, should point out that ol' Flannel Flanks himself did not actually direct this, just produced and guided, which I think is where he probably feels more comfortable as a film maker anyway, so its probably for the best.

7. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Take note that this is neither directed nor written by Lucas, he just made up the story, so it might be good.

8. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    So, you're saying that Lucas is continuing his "Power of Myth" approach to film, by making up the story of the Tuskegee Airmen?

9. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    By "made up," you mean "added a Hollywood spin to a true story," correct? Because otherwise, you must've missed the link in my original post indicating that the Tuskegee Airmen are very real.

10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Of course, but it's Lucas story.

11. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Actually he's credited with a writers credit, while the screenplay is credited to John Ridley.

I'm curious to see this. I'm wondering if it's going to be a true historical account, like a retelling of the original TA movie or if it's going to take some "license" a la Fly Boys.

12. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    So Uncle George is slapping his name on the credits of a movie that's already been made in my adult lifetime. How amazingly lame.

Wake me when he's actually directing a non-Star Wars film ala THX-1138 or American Graffiti.

13. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    World Wars Episode II: The Segregation Menace

14. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    This movie looks really good. Can't wait to see it.

15. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    Do you feel the same way about all the other movies that have been "redone" in the last year and a half?

16. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Meh, I'm still waiting for the prequel to Howard the Duck.

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Lucas financed Howard the Duck, and distributed it via lucasfilm. That's pretty much his involvement.

18. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Actually looked alright. That title screen though... immediately put me in mind of Sin City.

19. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Seriously. So many movies the last several years have been remakes.

Some are bad, some are not. Some are actually pretty good.

20. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    I'm not against remakes, per say. I just want to see Lucas being more involved and seeing as how he does so few non-Star Wars or Indy projects, it would be nice to see him doing something more from his own creative imagination.

21. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    Just because another movie about the same subject was made a decade or two ago doesn't make this one a "remake", imho.

It's just another take on the same subject, AFAIK. I'll give Lucas and the filmmakers the benefit of the doubt until I watch it.

22. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm not going to give it a chance. I've already seen it and the subject is just not that interesting.

23. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    Not an interesting subject at all, 1st all black fighter group, amazing combat record and an absolute slap in the face to segregation. Nothing to see here [face_not_talking]

24. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I agree, it's not interesting, especially after you've already seen it.

The story relies on a level of emotional investment I just don't have the energy to summon for movies anymore.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008